Chapter 37: The Marauders and Voldemort

I really didn't want to break canon but I didn't realise that the Marauders didn't attend Hogwarts until 1971 but I had already written this before I found out so...but it's fine because this isn't real as long as JK didn't do something like this oh wait she did Oop-

1936

Albus POV:

Time was growing short. I knew something wasn't right as soon as I woke up, everything felt different, like...I was missing something. The first thing I checked was the pendant, but it was still there, no one can replicate it, it has our initials engraved. Making it so much more painful. I didn't know what else it could be, but I knew it was something. I never got a reply from Carrow all those years ago, I don't know why, but I know he is safe. The ministry reported seeing him at one of Grindelwald's gatherings, they keep a list of whose there. At first, I thought it had been lost, but that was soon disproved after the many other letters I had sent to him. Perhaps Grindelwald had changed his mind...maybe he is a part of it now. Oh how I worry for him, but it will only do no good. My thoughts were interrupted by a child knocking into me. I had been walking through the grounds as usual, but I'm usually pretty aware of my surroundings.
'Sorry sir!' The scruffy haired boy apologised, his friends laughed.
'Sirius for goodness sake! We really are sorry Professor Dumbledore.' The smart looking one of the group joined in.
'Look where you're going next time!' The leader patted Sirius' back before running a hand through his fringe.
'It's quite alright,' I smiled, 'where you boys off to?'
'Quidditch I believe.' The smart looking one answered.
'What would we do without Remus?' Sirius teased.
'Probably not turn up to class.' The leader smirked, 'isn't that right Peter?' He ruffled the scrawny looking one's hair.
'James!' He pushed him away, laughing.
'You like Quidditch though, don't you James?' Sirius asked.
'Of course! Best subject...I'm going to become the schools best seeker when I get in next year.' He grinned, his confidence evident.
'Don't get too cocky.' Remus warned, 'Besides, Dumbledore doesn't want us to ramble on for much longer, he's got things to do.'
'Yes, alright,' James rolled his eyes, 'see you in Defence against the dark arts Professor!'
'Goodbye boys, good luck with Quidditch.'
'As long as we can get Peter off the ground, keep Remus from falling off his broom and stop James from wondering we'll be fine!' Sirius shouted back as they walked away.
'I can ride a broom perfectly fine Thankyou!' Remus argued. Their bickering slowly faded to silence as they left. Those boys in particular are the definite trouble makers of the school, them and-
'Good afternoon Professor.' A polite voice sounded behind me, I turned around to see the very boy I was just thinking about. His slick, dark brown hair hanging lightly over his emerald green eyes.
'Tom.' I nodded, 'how are you finding school?'
He put his hands behind his back, thinking for a moment before replying, 'exceptional, definitely not what I would have imagined.'
It was only the beginning of the year, it was only a couple of months ago I had gone to see Tom at the orphanage. I like helping people, seeing to it that they don't stray away from their potential. I heard about Tom, so I took it upon myself, as asked to by Headmaster Dippet, to tell him about our world. He had to know because he had been accepted at Hogwarts, his name had been written from the quill of acceptance in the book of admittance. It was his right to attend here. When I met Tom, I could tell he was...different, most of the people I tend to help are. Which is why I try to help them from the cruelties of society. The lady who ran his orphanage told me stories of how he had had certain incidences with the other children, I knew then that this would be very different. But what I also knew what that Tom must have been very scared, having powers you don't understand and other children teasing him at the same time. I don't think he is a bully, simply misunderstood. I was going to help him either way, however I can.
'I'm glad to here it, do you have a favourite subject?' I asked, trying to make friendly conversation, which is something I usually thrived in but when I was around Tom it proved difficult.
'I guess that would have to be Defense against the dark arts sir.' He replied, smiling slightly, 'I heard you used to teach Transfiguration.'
'Yes I did, Professor Merrythought is away for a while so I'm temporarily filling in.' I nodded.
'I suppose my favourite subject is Potions.' He answered honestly.
'I see Horace has taken a liking to you,'
'Yes, I've heard many things about his so called Slug club.'
'I'd imagine you will get an invite to his up-coming party then.' I grinned, glad he was doing well.
'Maybe...but then I don't really take to many people.' He responded.
'I'm sure you will find some friends eventually.' I smiled, 'You should be getting to your class now, Quidditch?'
'Yes, though I'm not particularly interested in it.' He nodded, starting to walk slowly away.
I exhaled, something about him makes me feel so uneasy. His tone of voice is too polite it's almost patronising, but maybe I'm over analysing it and it's all in my head. I went to my office, checking, as I always do, for any news from Amycus. But as always, there was nothing. I sighed, sorting through my students first test papers. Marking was hard enough before I gained all sorts of new responsibilities. Let's see...as I suspected, Tom Riddle did well for a first try, I know he's trying really hard to catch up with the other students who have known about their powers since they were little. James Potter got around 75%, he's clearly gifted as most of the things he got wrong were pure facts and that is something you have to revise for. No surprise Remus Lupin got 99%, as for Sirius Black...it's the first test so it's not fatal but he could definitely apply himself more since he got 55%, which isn't bad but compared to the rest of the class...
Peter Pettigrew did quite well, 68% and...Lily Evans. Wow, the only person to get 100% in the class, I better remember to congratulate her. Severus Snape got 99%, these are great first scores compared to what I've seen in the past years. By the time I got to the end they started filtering into the classroom, the class consisted of Slytherin and Gryffindor. Why they would put those two together I don't know, destined for trouble. Their chatter grew increasingly loud until I carried the piles of tests down the stairs. I didn't know everyone's names yet so as I called out their name, they put their hands up until everyone had their test in front of them.
'There was only one person in the class who got 100% but well done everyone, you all did very well.' I didn't want to call Lily out in case she was the type of person to feel uncomfortable with everyone knowing. I started to write on the board when I felt something hit my back. Turning around, my eyes focused on the giggling 4 boys at the back.
'Something funny James?' I crossed my arm, I've dealt with students like this before.
'Really sorry sir.' He apologised, but continued to laugh.
'I dared him to sir, it's my fault.' Sirius was also laughing uncontrollably.
Remus shook his head, 'honestly, you two need to be more respectful.'
Peter was stifling a laugh.
I gave them one more look before continuing with my lesson, I could tell those boys were going to be trouble as soon as I met them.

This is how I picture the Marauders, James being the confident leader, Sirius being his scruffy best friend, Remus being half responsible half being influenced by his troublemaking friends and Peter being a little awkward and quiet compared to the rest of them, hope you enjoyed :)