Chapter 31: Minerva Mcgonagall

Albus POV:

I'd managed to take better care of myself in these past weeks, id get a few hours sleep and eat well. I looked much better, my body at its usual weight and colour had returned to my face. I'd stopped overworking as much, I prioritised my teaching, as I would never prioritise myself. Not again. As I sat in my office, marking the first years assessments they had to take to define their skill, there was a knock at the door. 'Come in.' I called, shutting the book I was currently marking and awaiting the guest.
'Professor Dumbledore.' Mcgonagall came in, shutting the door behind her and sitting down on the chair in front of me.
'To what do I owe the pleasure.' I smiled, her eyes seemed frightened, though I didn't know why, I guess it was always like her to worry.
'I was...wondering how it was going...what you're working on.' The hesitance wasn't like her, but I decided to ignore it.
'Not well I must admit...' I felt awful about it, I had been to Borgin and Burke, the whole time I felt out of my depth. That place was filled with Dark magic and artefacts, but I was desperate for them to help me. They looked at the pendant thoroughly, telling me what I feared most. That it can't be destroyed. But I will keep trying, I'll keep trying until I have no choice. I decided I wasn't going to tell Mcgonagall because she might judge me for it, it's not a place a Hogwarts Professor would want to be seen in.
'Well...remember you can talk to me.' She reminded, straightening her posture.
'Thanks Mcgonagall...shouldn't you be getting to your class?' I glanced at the clock.
'Oh! Yes, yes I should.' She jumped up, rushing to the door.
'I'll walk with you.' I offered, opening the door for her. She smiled and went through.
We walked through the corridors and on the way, were met with a familiar face. 'Newt!' I grinned, stopping in my tracks, I hadn't expected him to come.
'Professors.' He greeted, awkwardly holding his briefcase.
'Newt!' Mcgonagall said, strangely enthusiastically before coughing, 'Newt...I've heard a lot about you.' She replied politely. She was acting weirdly today...maybe....
'I was wondering if you were able to talk?' Newt asked.
'Certainly, we'll go to my office.' I nodded, 'Good afternoon Mcgonagall.'
Before we could leave, Mcgonagall shouted, 'wait! Can I make you two a cup of tea? Whilst you talk?' She ran towards us, a weird skip in her step.
'I could go for a tea actually.' Newt smiled.
'What about your students?' I questioned, I was starting to get rather suspicious.
'I-I actually set cover today...' she grinned. I nodded as we walked back towards my office.
When we got inside, Mcgonagall said, 'Milk or black Professor Dumbledore.'
'Milk please.' I watched her carefully.
'You prefer milk too don't you honey?' She smiled a Newt. His expression faltered and I drew my wand, pointing it at her.
'Who are you?' I demanded. She said nothing and I soon realised what she was trying to do.
'You can't apparate on Hogwarts grounds.' Newt told her, she tried to run but Newt threw the swooping evil at her which pinned her arms down. 'Revelio.' Newt casted, Who I thought was Mcgonagall soon morphed into a young women. Her curly blonde hair rested just above her shoulders, her pale face powdered and lips glossed. Tears ran down her face as she struggled. 'Q-Queenie?' Newt stammered, crouching down to face her.
'Newt!' She cried, looking at him with despair.
'Let her go Dumbledore.' He asked, despite the fact he was holding the creature.
'Not without answers.' I replied, keeping my wand up, 'Did Grindelwald send you?'
She said nothing, 'Newt, leave the room for a moment please.' I asked, holding my hand out for the creature.
'Dumbledore-'
'Newt, now.' I ordered, taking the animal into my hand, holding my wand to Queenies neck as Newt left my office.
'Did he send you?' I asked again, she looked up, a shocked expression on her face. Furrowing my brows, I suddenly felt faint. My vision blacked out and the last thing I remember is the thud of my head on the corner on my desk.

I woke up in the hospital wing, a dressing on my head and Newt at my side.
'Professor?' he asked.
I coughed, sitting up, 'what happened?'
'I heard a thud, when I went in their, Queenie was gone and you were unconscious on the floor,' he grimaced, remembering what he saw.
'Did you see who did?' I asked hurriedly, part of me wishing it was him.
'No, they were gone, they left this guy though.' He lifted up the swooping evil, dangling from his finger, it's wing was slightly torn but it was healing.
'I see...nothing was taken?'
'I checked, nothing.' He confirmed.
I tried to get up but my head pounded, 'where's...Mcgonagall.' I asked, getting back into bed.
'They found her in dungeons, under the imperious curse, don't worry, they're telling her what happened.' He assured me.
'Can't believe it, why would he do that?' I asked rhetorically.
'...because he wants to spy on you.'
'I'm aware Newt.' I shook my head in annoyance, 'Sorry...that was harsh I just cannot figure how to destroy, you know what.'
'Maybe you should just...give up?' Newt shrugged.
'Yes, I'll go to the ministry, straight to Travers and say 'oh sorry I'm only telling you this now but I actually can't do the thing you asked me to do and the wizarding world is doomed' do you know how angry they'd be?' I ranted sarcastically.
'You're probably right...they're very demanding.' Newt nodded.
'Demanding! I know your brother is a ministry worker but you haven't heard the half of it!' I laughed, 'just imagine them just turning up out of no where and telling you the fate of millions rests on your shoulders because they can't handle it themselves!'
Need awkwardly shuffled, unsure of what to say, 'I think you're doing well Dumbledore.'
'Well, it's only been five years.' I chuckled.
'I-is it going to be much more?' He stuttered.
'Could take hundreds at this rate.' I rolled my eyes and managed to stand up, walking slowly to the other side of the room and back to stretch my legs. 'Sorry for my bluntness Newt, I'm not myself.'
'I came to tell you...Tina got word that some ministry workers spotted her near Nurmenguard, except from she wasn't anywhere near there.....they were pretending to her Dumbledore.' Newt announced.
'You think he could try to be more?'
'It makes sense, to turn everyone against eachother. What if he pretends to be you and makes it look like you did something?' Newt fretted.
'I'll alert the ministry immediately, that way they'll know.' I slowed my pace so it was manageable and walked out of the hospital wing.
'...the ministry will get impatient Dumbledore...they'll ask questions soon enough-'
'And we'll answer them.' I smiled, limping my way onto the moving staircase.