Chapter 15: Professor Dumbledore

1925

Albus POV:

'And what is the difference between an animagi and a werewolf?.....anyone?' I asked, watching the confusion form on the faces of students before me, clearly they hadn't been paying enough attention in class. One boy raised his hand immediately, I waited to see if someone else was to put their hand up.
'Mclaggen!' I pointed at him.
'Animagi can voluntarily change from man to animal, werewolves are forced.' He said proudly, gleaming.
'Correct, 5 points to Gryffindor.' I awarded, arranging the stationary on my desk, 'I want you to read chapter 9 and 10 on Defense against the dark arts for beginners and I will know if you haven't done it and why so don't bother making excuses.' I informed them and they hurriedly packed up their things and rushed out of the classroom.
'Professor Dumbledore?' I heard a voice behind me, I turned around.
'Yes Mclaggen.' I picked up the books I'd been previously marking and started handing them out ready for my next class.
'I was wondering why you became a teacher sir.' He said bluntly.
'Am I not good at it?' I joked.
'No! It's just...you're so powerful, you could be doing so much more yet you're stuck with us.' Mclaggen stated, 'you've been offered minister for magic a couple times haven't you?'
I thought for a moment before replying, 'I have not interest in associating myself with the ministry, teaching means I can help the next generation of young witches and wizards to go on to do great things.' I explained.
'I would like to go on to do great things.' Mclaggen daydreamed, his eyes full of ambition. He reminded me of myself when I was his age.
'And you will, as long as you focus. Your next class will be starting soon.' I chuckled, returning to my desk.
'But Professor Mcgonagall isn't as good as a transfiguration teacher as you were.' He complained, pulling his back over his shoulder.
'I'm glad you think so highly of me, but Professor Mcgonagall is a talented witch and excellent in transfiguration. You should be glad she's trying to teach her greatest skill to you.' I told him.
'I know, I'm sorry. I'll be going then.' He smiled, walking out the class. I walked up the stairs to my office. Once it was closed I let my smile fade. Why I became a teacher...my thoughts echoed. What I told Mclaggen wasn't a lie, just not the whole truth. The real reason was because I didn't want people making the same mistakes as me, to teach them not to be naive, not to hesitate, not to be stupid. I didn't want any of my student to feel the same way as I do now, the same way I've felt for 26 years. Regret is my constant companion. I walked towards the paper that was on my desk, I sat down and skimmed through it. Quidditch, Ministry, Puzzles...News. The front page changed to a picture of Grindelwald walking though the streets. It was titled 'Grindelwald strikes New York' my eyes glossed over the ink printed words.

Gellert Grindelwald, the most feared wizard and owner of the elder wand, has been approaching New York with his ideal depiction of the wizarding world. Using the motto 'For the Greater Good' which he has been using since he first began his so called 'cause', he has managed to convince many witches and wizards to join his side, most of them being Pure-bloods.

I watched the picture replay over and over again. He looked so different since I last saw him, but just a beautiful. His long hair shaved and spiked up at the front, he was pale and his clothes subtle yet somehow elaborate at the same time. I couldn't stop myself, his face, his chest, his-
'Dumbledore!' I heard a shout. I threw the paper into the air and fell off my chair in shock. Jumping up I composed myself, realising it was Headmaster Dippet.
I coughed, 'Hello headmaster.' I snatched the paper and crumpled it up in my palm.
'I wanted to know how Mr Carrow is doing, I've heard he's causing a lot of trouble.' He looked concerned.
'Uhhh Yes, I believe his most recent was trying to release Cornish pixies into my classroom whilst my back was turned.' I nodded, still trying to recover from the surprise of Dippet just walking in here.
'I'll have to speak to his parents, that's the 5th time this month. Thankyou Dumbledore, good day.' He shut the door behind him. I collapsed into my chair, my hands running through my hair. I aimed the newspaper at the bin in the far corner and threw it in. Sighing, I reached into my top drawer and pulled out a very old photo. I wished to keep it on my desk but if someone were to walk in here and see...they'd ask questions. I watched as my lips connected to man I missed the most, black and white, on a grassy hill, against the tree trunk, on a summer afternoon. The memory so vivid yet so long ago, it filled me with such grief to watch but it's the one of the only things that makes me feel close to him. As much as I had convinced myself I was over it. I knew I wasn't. I knew I would never be the same again. I knew I wouldn't be able to stop these thoughts. I knew I'd always feel this deep sorrow that I every single day. Not that anyone would understand how much he means to me. I hadn't told anyone about it, the only ones who knew were me, Gellert, Aberforth, Elphias and Mrs Bagshot. I had kept it a secret from everyone I came into contact with since what happened. If they ever found out, it would ruin me. I looked at the scar on my palm, I ran my finger over it. But no one knew about this one, except me and Gellert. I got up, realising my next class was about to start. I sat on my desk as I watched the class file in. Many of the students greeted me politely as they took their seats.
'Good afternoon everyone.' I said cheerfully, 'no need to sit down actually, just pick up your book and stand to the side please.' I instructed. The pupils did as they were told and waited patiently. 'We're doing duelling today BUT if any of you don't follow my instructions properly then we will have to go back to doing Just theory, understood?' I said sternly. My class whispered in excitement dropping their bags on the floor and moving the desks to the side. Once the room was set, I walked into the middle, 'the key thing to duelling is countering your opponent, you need to use the right spell at the right time.' I stopped briefly, turning to face them, 'Mr Carrow...how about you duel me.' I offered, I sensed he was troubled, I wanted to give him a chance, something other teachers wouldn't be so willing to do. His friends cheered as he stepped forwards in front of me. 'Raise your wand.' I told him, he did so. 'Don't hold back, but remember this is to disarm only.' I reminded him, raising my own wand.
'Expelliarmus!' He shouted immediately, stepping forwards. I cast him spell aside with a block.
'In order for that spell to be successful, you need to catch me off guard in battle which is why you should save that.' I critiqued, planning on letting him have the next one.
He grumbled in defeat, 'stupefy!' He yelled, sending me flying back and everyone clapped.
'Well done Mr Carrow!' I congratulated, him. The smile that formed on his face was rewarding to me as his teacher that I had managed to make him feel accomplished but taught him something. I duelled each of the students until everyone had defeated me.
After class, I wondered throughout the halls aimlessly, sick of being shut in my classroom or office for hours. A group of students walked past whispering, 'Have you heard the rumours?'
'Yes!'
They all giggled, wonder what that was about. I shrugged it off and walked towards the Great Hall where dinner would be in a few minutes. I sat down next to Mcgonagall who gave me a weird look, it made me very self conscious. Dippet came in a have a speech before food appeared in front of us. Many of the students seemed more interested in me than the food which made me uncomfortable. I tried to ignore it but the laughing was irritating.
'Is it true?' Mcgonagall asked.
'Is what true?' I responded, furrowing my brows. She didn't reply, continuing to eat her food, leaving me to feel like I was being constantly observed.

This will have Grindelwald in it. I just wanted to build on Dumbledore as a teacher.