Chapter 21: Escape

Albus POV:

Gellert Grindelwald has finally been captured and the identity of the creature that has been causing the disturbances in America revealed. Grindelwald was impersonating a MACUSA official going by the name of 'Percival Graves' And infiltrating their plots against him. He is now under intense surveillance and we have been assured he is unlikely to escape. The disturbances have been caused by the dark, dangerous power of an Obscurial. It was destroyed by the MACUSA and is no longer putting other wizards and witches at risk.

I sighed. He's been caught. Newt had managed to get away with not saving Credence, this means that Gellert can no longer gain its power and use it. I was relieved but saddened, I know they won't be able to keep him there for lon. He'll find a way to escape, I know he will. He's mysterious like that, he always has been. We will still have to fight, I have to get a hold of our pact somehow. Aberforth was right.....I was foolish. But I was also young, powerful and naive. I made that pact to bound myself to him forever, I truly believed we would last a lifetime. I was wrong. The morning sun started to rise over the hills. The pink light streaming through the window and into my room. I stared at myself in the mirror in front of me. Just a regular mirror. Turning my head, I examined the dark bags that lay under my eyes and the redness in my cheeks. I'm quite tired, even though I had just slept. Pulling my coat over me, I trod quietly down the stone floors of the Hogwarts castle. No one was around, it was a good way to gather my thoughts rather than be confined to my office. I thought best when walking. My eyes glued to the floor. They're going to ask me to fight. I sighed. I don't want to fight, even if I wanted to I can't. That's the first problem. I also have to convince the ministry I'm not a follower of Grindelwald, they have it in their heads that I am just because I refuse to work besides them. They hadn't thought that maybe that's because I don't trust them as much as they don't trust me. Newt will have to help me too, help me defeat Grindelwald...once he gets his travel ban lifted. But the ministry probably have something up their sleeve for him regarding that. Once I have destroyed the pact and gained he ministry's trust, I have to prepare myself. I might have to kill him. If worse comes to worse. No. But this could be my chance to redeem myself for not doing it back then. I still can't. My fear isn't Grindelwald, my fear is how I will cope. I may not be able to face him, I may not be able to fight him to the best of my ability. Not when I feel like this. But I know I have to try. I heard something move and my eyes shot up. Mclaggen was stood there, but it was only around 5 in the morning? What could he be doing? Ah. I saw the way he looked at the Gryffindor girl In front of him. As a teacher, I should stop them. But.....I looked the other way, walking back where I came from. I wasn't going to stop them, they're young, I know what that's like.....I wonder if I should write to Aberforth, I haven't seen him since I was 25 when I came back for Christmas. When I left to become a teacher I realised I would be distancing myself from him, something I was glad to do so at the time. I guess in my later years I miss him a little. Perhaps I should send him an owl asking him how he is. He will never forgive me for what I did to him and Ariana, but in the end I am his brother. Aberforth will always feel hatred towards me but that's something I have come to accept. Students began to feel the halls and I understood I would no longer be able to clear my head in this noise. I made my way to my office, sitting down, I drew my words over the piece of parchment, watching the ink spread.

Dear Aberforth,

I wanted to know how you have been doing, I know I haven't written to you in a while but I'm just very busy teaching. What have you been doing? Anything knew since we last talked? We should remember to keep in touch, i am aware you read the prophet so you've seen what is in their about Gellert. I promise I'm trying my best to keep track of things, they have him locked up which I thought you'd be pleased to hear. Anyway, write back to me soon.

Albus

Gellert POV:

This is pathetic. My eyes stared at the black steel walls, my desperation for food was getting unbearable as they hadn't fed me. Thirst. I glared as Picquery's eyes gazed into my cage.
'Abernathy, are you sure you're alright to be around him.' She asked.
'Of course madam president.' He nodded, watching her walking away before meeting my eyes.
'I have a plan.' He whispered, rolling my wand through the slit where I could just see his eyes. Abernathy recited the code that undid the chains around me. I picked up my wand and used my legilimency to know what his plan was. I transfigured myself into Abernathy and then him into me. It was strange, seeing myself, my hair looks awful. I re did the chains on myself and screamed. Ministry officials came rushing and spotted Abernathy as me.
'Help! He trapped me in here!' I yelled, struggling against the chains. They unlocked the door and helped me out before shoving Abernathy in their in my replacement. True loyalty...he is worthy. I walked away planning on returning for him, he's a valuable asset. Suddenly I heard a slice and then a cry in pain. Picquery walked towards me, 'We removed his tongue, we cant risk anything.' I nodded, disgust taking over my emotions, corrupt ministry.
They transported Abernathy through the prison as I waited by the carriage to deliver my belongings to make it look like I had prepared it for travel. Little did they know. I grew anxious as I handed them the blood pact, but I had no choice. The carriage went flying over the edge of the building and I gripped onto the bottom. Waiting for the precise moment. When it was time, I felt myself become me again. I needed to save him, he has made a noble sacrifice for me and I will honour him for it. Quickly, I jumped up and rid myself of the thestral riders. One of my favourite creatures. I looked through the window, everything was going according to plan. Riding the thestrals, I raised my wand. Let's have some fun shall we? I swirled it, energy erupting into the sky causing thunder and flashes of light to shine through the dark clouds. I wanted revenge. Dunking the carriage into the water, I was careful with how long they stayed there. 10 seconds. I dodged around the stone structures. 15 seconds. I lifted it out of the water and peered it at Abernathy, tapping my wand on the window to make sure he keeps hold of the pact. Every moment someone else touched it I felt an ounce of pain. I'd rather it was him than that ministry bitch though. Focusing my attention on the thestrals, I looked out over the American lights. The huge structures with small lights covering the whole city. I let go of the reigns and tore open the carriage door, letting the water fly past me, as did the almost drowned men as they fell to their death. What a terrible waste. 'You have joined a noble cause my friend.' I congratulated Abernathy, flicking my wand and watching as he gained a new tongue. I heard a snuggle and turned around to see the chupacabra staring up at me. 'Well hello Antonio!' I greeted, lifting him up and letting him rub himself against my neck. Looking down at him he raised his arms for another hug, affection shining in his eyes. I felt myself beginning to grow fond of him. I had to eliminate it. 'So needy.' Reluctantly I tossed him out the window as I heard his shriek of protest. I must not gain feelings for anything or anyone. It makes me weak and I must learn to distance myself. Lifting up the ministry official I dropped him out the window, watching him plummet. Soon after, I let his wand slip out of my hand. I needed him to live, so he could spread the word I would not back down. That I wasn't afraid. That I was ready to fight.