Chapter 52: After and Before

Albus POV:

'Why are you training me as groundskeeper Professor?' Hagrid frowned as he poured us each a cup of tea from the freshly boiled kettle that had just produced a cloud of steam that lingered in the air before condensing on the wooden walls of his hut. Surely they'll rot before long. They really didn't go to much effort when making Hagrid his own hut on school grounds...it makes sense since they think he's a danger to society.

I sighed, dabbing my sweaty head with a handkerchief; old age is not treating me well I'm afraid. 'That's an interesting question isn't it...I suppose people like asking me to do things for them,' I said passive aggressively but quickly changed my tune when Hagrid looked a little nervous. Let's just say I'm rather stressed. It is true though, why do I have to do absolutely everything?

'That does sound annoying...but I think it's because people trust you Dumbledore,' Hagrid explained, handing me a cup, 'I wish people trusted me like that, I'd be honoured,'

I guess he's right but then again, failure is still on the cards and unfortunately, unlike failing a school test, me failing will result in a catastrophe for all muggles and wizards. I decided against unloading this on a poor 13 year old who had just been expelled and accused of murder, instead, starting up some friendly conversation. 'So the weather's been rough hadn't it?'

Hagrid basically shotted his tea, 'I s'pose, winter's coming, probably not the best time for me to move out to this poorly weather proofed hut eh?'

I put down my cup, 'I am sorry Hagrid...about Aragog too, I'm sorry you lost him,'

Hagrid's eyes shifted to the right as he mumbled, 'Yes...right,'

That made me a little suspicious but I knew that I didn't want to know because if I did, I wouldn't know what to think. I patted Hagrid on the back, 'You ready to start learning staff rules around here?'

Rubeus grunted and stood up, whacking his head on the low ceiling and clutching it in pain. He tutted, 'S'pose I'm gunna get used to that,'

Gellert POV:

'London?' Alecto said as if it were the most confusing word in the whole world.

'Yes...London,' I repeated, pacing again whilst I began to explain, 'Ve've been training for months, years...I believe now ve are ready to take over and finally rule over the muggles,'

'Are you sure?' Vinda queried, 'I mean, we could always get more-'

'Ve don't need people's support anymore,' I interrupted, 'Ve needed that for the start, now all we need is ourselves; ve are the army that vill defeat those who vish to live in fear for the rest of their lives. Ve are done with that, Ve can finally be ourselves,'

This earned me a huge applause from my band of acolytes. I actually looked at all of them properly for the first time. I know that when the time comes for the battle to actually take place, I will lose some of these...my followers. Although I feel a slight sadness at the thought, I remind myself what it's for. The Greater Good.

'Make your preparations,' I warned, 'It vill happen sooner than you think and vhen it does...everything vill change; justice vill finally prevail,' After another applause, I left to go prepare myself. Just as I had got in, Credence appeared at my door, nervously playing with his hands.

'Do you think I can do this?' He croaked, looking up at me hopefully.

'Aurelius,' I whispered, walking over to cup his face, 'I know you can...go now,'

He nodded, hesitantly turning and leaving with Queenie who was waiting for him. I let the wooden door close in its own time before I took a seat in my chair. My previously almost white, blonde hair was finally starting grey, I ran my hand through it before it supported my chin whilst I thought.

I thought of what I was about to achieve, I thought of what I would have to do to get it. But most of all, I thought about what I would have to do to Albus. The image of his death...It brought a sudden pain to my chest I hadn't known until I saw the hurt in his eyes that day on the beach. I could still hear his scream that begged me to stop and begged me to kill him.

Part of me desperately wanted to see him, to tell him I didn't mean what I said all those years ago, that I had just been angry and thoughtless. That I still love him. I wanted to see what he looked like, did he cut his hair? Did he wear the same clothes? Have the same smell? I wanted him to take over the world with me. The other half, the bitter half, wanted me to prove him wrong; show him what he had missed out on and what I had achieved without him. I wanted him to be jealous the same way I was of his power. What a terrible waste.

It didn't matter how I felt, because this is what I came to do. To fight, to dominate, to win. I won't let stupid emotions stand in my way, they were never part of the plan neither will they be. Me and Albus were what we were but I need to let it go and focus on bigger goals, what I owe to my fellow witches and wizards. Wizard dominance. It's something I believe in and that I'm passionate about and so I will do whatever I can for it.

The plan is to go to London in a couple years time, when everyone is at their best. We'll make ourselves known so he knows we're here. The ministry will have us tracked within seconds of arrival so they'll give him our location which is yet to be decided. When he finds me, we'll duel fair and square, we'll settle this for good. For the greater good.

This is kinda short because I didn't know what else to write for it since we pretty close to the battle, look out for a new chapter because trust me it's very soon 👀