Chapter 16: The Boy in the Photograph

Albus POV:

No one had told me what these rumours were. I knew for certain they were about me, the looks made that clear. My usual strolls through the corridors were interrupted by the constant weird looks from both students and teachers. In the end I gave up and circled round to my classroom. I walked up the stairs to my office when suddenly I heard a crash. I ran to the door to see Mclaggen guiltily stood surrounded by glass crystals. My top draw was open.
'I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry professor.' He apologised. I walked over, picking up the smashed photo of me and Gellert from the floor, not caring if I was to be cut on the sharp pieces that remained. The picture itself wasn't damaged. 'I was looking for my book but then I saw that and then I dropped it and-'
'It's fine.' I interrupted, ignoring the anger I felt, it wasn't going to get me anywhere.
'It...it is?' He asked, surprised.
'It can be fixed.' I flicked my wand and watched as the shards pieced themselves back together to form the frame once again. As if nothing had happened. I shoved the picture hatefully back in the drawer and slammed it shut.
'Who's the boy in the photograph?' Mclaggen asked awkwardly.
'I don't want to talk about it.' I whispered. My airway tightened. I couldn't breath. I gripped my heavy chest, clutching onto the desk to stand up.
'Sir?' Mclaggen called. My hearing was fuzzy, my vision blurring and my thoughts become increasingly louder. She's dead. He's gone. He never loved you. It's all your fault. Everyone will die because of you. You should of killed him. 'SIR!' Mclaggen shuffled his feet, unsure what to do. 'Sh-should I get someone?'
'NO IM FINE.' I whispered harshly, it was getting worse and worse by the second. They hate you. You're awful. You're in love with a murder. It's all your fault.
'G-Get Mcgonagall.' I wheezed. Mclaggen rushed off leaving me helpless. I collapsed into the chair, leaning forwards, I focused on my breathing. In. Out. In. Out. My throat began to open up as I did so. I kept going and Mcgonagall and Mclaggen arrived.
'Dumbledore! Are you alright!' Mcgonagall fussed.
'Yes yes, I'm fine.' I spoke quietly, standing up, both hands supporting my body on the desk. My thoughts started to quieten to their normal volume and my breathing was only slightly off. My energy had evaporated and the thought of moving made me queasy. The attack felt familiar, from so very long ago...strange.
'You don't look it, sorry sir but...you're very pale.' Mclaggen worried.
'I said I am fine, Mcgonagall, you may leave, I wish to speak with Mclaggen alone.' I dismissed, I leaned my weight further forward.
'Very well.' Mcgonagall said, leaving us. Once sure that she was definitely not able to hear our conversation, I said, 'what you saw, in the photograph is-'
'It's ok sir, I'm not going to tell anyone.' Mclaggen assured.
'You're...not?' I stuttered, very nervous that this boy is one of the select few that know the one thing that could ruin me.
'No, even so you're still the best teacher to walk the earth.' He grinned, it was clear he didn't really care too much about the photograph, or think it were a problem.
'I appreciate that Mclaggen, Thankyou.' I smiled, grateful, 'you should take your seat, class is starting.' I felt strong enough to take my hands off supporting my body and walk to the door.
'Will you be well enough?'
'Of course, like I said, I'm fine.'
Mclaggen nodded and made his way down the steps where the rest of the class were awaiting my presence. I took it slow, I knew I was weak. For the rest of the day I felt awful, the last time I had one like that was.....as I said, a long time ago.
I lacked energy food could not provide me, I struggled, my classes felt too long to bare. That night I lay sad, cold, lonely, in my bed. As I have for 26 years now. Something I had gotten used to. Today's events had somehow caused me deep distress, if anyone found out what we were, what I am, what I feel...I would be ruined, he would be ruined. Of course, I trust Mclaggen would not lie to me, but the ministry's methods...the information could be taken against his will. There has been great trouble regarding Grindelwald, he has become more and more powerful and more more dangerous. I need to do something. I cannot fight him. It's impossible. Throwing back the duvet, I rushed to my desk, I couldn't wait till morning. I wrote a letter, I thought carefully before my pen drew the words to the page. The owl perched on my arm when I called it over, handing it the letter which it took in its beak. I watched it fly away, the name on the envelope 'Newt Scamander' becoming unreadable as it gained distance. Worrying if the ministry would infiltrate and read the letter, I still couldn't sleep. I turned on my side, looking at the empty, made side of my bed that no one had slept on since I got it.

Gellert POV:

'And we have plans for...a few months time?' Vinda asked, her gloves hand sliding against the waxed wood of the window sill.
'Yes...be ready.' I whispered, walking to the window and staring out at the people who walked past.
'What are they?' She folded her arms.
'You question my decisions? That vill cost you dearly.' I threatened, turning to give her a hateful glare. She was useful, when she respected that she has no say, she is not the co leader.
'I am truly sorry, I only meant to have part in-'
'And you vill have part, be patient, our goal is close and ve vill have our freedom.' I gave Vinda a menacing smile, one that would surely scare her off asking any more silly questions.
'And...what about him.' clearly that didn't work.
'Nothing, he can be delt vith later.' I defended, turning away from her judging look.
'But if we were to take him now-'
'If you mention, one more vord, you may find, you don't get to take part.' I stepped closer to her, backing her into a corner, 'lay one hand on Albus Dumbledore and you vill have to answer...to me.' I whispered intimidatingly. Vinda nodded, looking down to avoid my eyes. I backed away, resuming my place in front of the window. 'You vill return to France in a fortnight, a month after that I vill carry out our plans, do you understand?'
'Yes sir.' She replied, confidently lifting her head up.
'Go.' I ordered, She apparated away, leaving me alone. I know where he is, Albus. I heard he has become a teacher at his old school, I remembered it was his, he told me the day we met. What a waste of his power. I often think about how he could be here accomplishing so much more here with me. But he made his choice. I know one day we will have to face each other, that's what makes the pain worse. To have to go through what happened before...the look on his face, the tears and pain I had caused him. I knew he would never forgive me. I couldn't even forgive myself. I had learnt if I didn't care for anyone, I could not get hurt. I pushed everyone away. Not that I cared much individually for my supporters anyway. Vinda is loyal, I value that she will follow me no matter what is a stake, she's fond of me. But she means nothing to me but a supporter of the cause. The cause that will lead us to freedom.

I will eventually come back to the rumours...what do you think they're about?