Chapter 50: The Culprit

Sorry for being gone for so long but I've already written ahead a few chapters so get ready for the final few! Well...more than a few but we are nearing the end and I hope you look forward to it! Thanks for reading :)

Albus POV:

The school was possibly days away from closing and I wasn't ready. I was willing to work here for the rest of my life, until death. Now...I don't know what I'm going to do. It had been a very hard week with students and teachers being questioned on the murder of Myrtle Warren and the school being searched for the Chamber. Let's just say the atmosphere has been very tense, unbearably actually. I shouldn't be so upset really, everything is always taken away from me and I doubt I would have lived much longer anyway. To be honest, after all these years, I've come to accept the fact that I'm incapable of defeating Grindelwald. If you think about it, I've already lost. Lost so much, what's left to gain? Nothing. But I'll try for the rest of the wizarding world, I won't let them suffer because of my mistakes. Not like my sister did, or my brother, or me.

Heavy with regret, I leant my head into my hands and sighed, trying to rid myself of the anxiousness that was caught in my throat. It didn't work. When I was letting my thoughts swirl in and out my head, I was interrupted by the sound of the door opening. 'Dumbledore!' Dippet spoke loudly, knowing how caught up in my head I can get.

'Yes Headmaster?' I frowned, this must he urgent if he's speaking to me, he's still mad about what happened even though it was seven years ago now...but I don't blame him. I hate myself for it too, just like everything else.

Dippet gestured me to come with him, 'The culprit has been found, you need to see for yourself.'

So they finally found Tom guilty? I thought as I rushed out after Dippet, following close behind as we walked the dimly lit corridor side by side. Students' whispers echoed throughout the hall, Secrets never were easy to keep at Hogwarts. Then it hit me. This means Hogwarts won't be closed! A smile graced my lips, the feeling of happiness flowing through me. Only for a second. But that was the first time I'd felt that emotion in months. Even if it was for only a brief moment.

Dippet opened the door to his office which was flooded with ministry workers. Shit, I had forgotten about them. Swallowing, my eyes widened as I saw a student I never expected to see, wand to his neck as he looked frightened. His hands gripped the wooden chair he was being forced to sit on against his will as clearly he was the subject. But how? How did they come to this conclusion? Long straggly hair dripping with sweat, his head whipped around to face me.

'Professor Dumbledore Sir!-' He was cut of by Theseus pressing his wand into his neck.

'Quiet,' he ordered, making the innocent boy shut his mouth immediately.

I furrowed my brows, 'Rubeus Hagrid?'

How on earth do they think it's him? Hagrid isn't in any of my classes but from what I've heads he's humble and sweet despite his appearance. Definitely not the heir of Salazar Slytherin, Definitely not a threat to muggle borns. He's half-giant for crying out loud!

Travers nodded, 'He's been proven guilty, a student came and reported his suspicious activity involving an acromantula, clearly the beast behind these attacks,'

Skeptically, I eyed the boy, he is in no way capable of this, 'I hardly think that's proof...not enough to send him to Azkaban-'

'That's for the judge to decide,' Travers cut me off, striding towards me, whispering so only I could hear, 'I think it's best you attend the boys hearing, that way me and you can have another little chat,'

I glared at him as he pulled away, leaving the room with the ministry officials following after him. Theseus kept the wand at Hagrid's neck as he nodded his head towards the door. Hagrid stood up, knocking the chair over awkwardly with a crash as he went out the door, Theseus guarding him.