Softball

Flashback

A few weeks after graduation it happened. They had to go separate ways, but they still want to be together. No amount of distance could change that.

Violet had made her decision to be in the military and knew that right after graduation she'd have to go to training far away, then go overseas.

Clementine supported her decision and went to college and played softball. And she LOVED IT.

She has played softball almost her entire life and getting on the softball team in college was amazing for her.

Once Violet left for training Clem had no idea when she'd be back.

March 23, 2019. The biggest softball game of the year against the best team in the league...

If we're being honest.... Clem's team isn't very good. But they're getting better.

Clementine had a countdown to these games she was so excited, and she'd call Violet all the time and tell her how many days left.

What she didn't know is that Violet is coming home that weekend.

Present day
March 23, 2019

Clementine made it to the field for the game and she went in ready to Play.

She's the star pitcher and hitter of the team so shes ready to kick some ass.

Sophie, the catcher, walks to her in the middle of the first inning and sits by her. They both weren't playing this inning.

"You ready?" she asks.

"nervous. This is a big game and this team is the best... And my shoulder is hurting from pitching yesterday's games."

Just then the other pitcher on their team (Minerva) throws a perfect ball that the batter just happens to hit it in the right spot and BAM it goes over the fence.

"it'll be okay." Sophie reassures as the batter runs around the bases.

"it's not that... I miss Violet." Clem hangs her head low. Sophie places her hand on her shoulder to sooth her.

"she'll come home at some point."

Yes, she will.

"MINERVA WHAT ARE YOU DOING? DON'T THROW PITCHES THE OTHER TEAM CAN NAIL. YOU KNOW THIS!" their Coach Lilly yells at her. "NO YOU KNOW WHAT, YOU'RE OUT! Clem switch with her, BRODY, LETS GO, YOU'RE OUT TOO." She yells at the catcher. Clem grabs her glove and face mask as Sophie gets geared up. Minerva comes back in the dugout and shoves past Clem in anger. Then Brody comes up to her.

"kill it, kid. You got it." She pats her on the back.

'Here I go. Pitching against the best team.'

She doesn't do bad at all. She gets three up three down immediately all strike outs.

If they keep her in they have a chance to hold them off and they could win.

Meanwhile

"VIOLET!" Louis yells as Violet gets out of her car in her camouflage uniform. They run up to each other and hug each other hard in the middle of the parking lot of the field.

"Hey, how's she doing?" Violet asks looking at the field.

"she's doing great! She got a nice hit and her pitching is over the top today. We're down 7-5 though." Louis explains.

"she'll be upset if she loses this game. They're been practicing for the whole year." Violet bites her lip.

"she'll be happy when she sees you after the game." Louis smiles at her, making her smile. "let's head up their and keep you hidden til the game is over."

Violet nods and they head over there staying hidden from Clem who was on deck to bat.

Once she went up to bat, the bases were loaded, and she hit the ball as hard as she possible could and it went up and up and up and Clem was sure it was gonna be caught and be the last out and that would lose the game for them... But unexpectedly, it goes over the fence and Clementine throws her hands in the air in excited as she runs around the bases. The game ended there, they won. Before Clem made it to home plate, Louis drug Violet on the field and hid her behind team mates waiting at home plate to congratulate her and celebrate.

Clementine rounds third and heads to home base. Her team mates got out of the way and revealed Violet standing on home plate. Clem's mouth dropped as she kept running, kicking up speed running to her.

She touches home base and throws herself onto Violet in a hug, wrapping her legs around Violets waist.

"I'm home." Violet whispers loud enough over the cheers to say.

Clementine pulled away crying. "you're so cheesy." She kisses her and more cheers erupt.

"WE JUST WON!" Brody yells to celebrate.

"HELL YEAH!" Sophie follows and everyone cheers on as Violet holds onto Clem's waist.

Best day ever.

AN
814 words
Idk I'm at my sister's games and I thought of this
-Max