Rivalry

What do ya know, another softball one shot.

Clementine is petty asf

Clementine's team was playing against Minerva's team. Both girls are the best players on the team. Both pitch-hitters.

It was the bottom of the 6th inning out of 7 of the biggest rivalry game of the season. The score was 7-4, Minerva's team was winning, but Clementine's team was hitting. Clem put another piece of gum in her mouth Before going to the on deck circle. Brody was hitting and Violet was on second base with one out.

She practiced her swings as Minerva pitched to Brody, but Minerva was too good and struck her out.

Clementine patted Brody on the back on her way back to the dug out before making her way to the plate, looking at Violet before focusing on the pitch.

Ball one. Outside.

She adjusted her helmet and set her feet again ready for the second pitch.

Ball two. Low.

She reset her feet and swung her bat back up on her shoulder.

Strike one. Swing and a miss.

She backed out of the batters box and took a breath before stepping back in and looking at Minerva who was smirking.

Ball three. Low.

This time Clem didn't move her feet. She stayed put.

Strike two. Looking.

The count was three balls and  two strikes with two outs. This next pitch would determine her chance of winning. Minerva smirked even bigger and Clem was confused before the pitch was thrown and she was ready, but didn't have time to get out of the way when the ball hit her right on her upper arm.

She dropped her bat and held her arm for a second wincing as the crowd slowly went quiet. Coach Lilly ran out of the dug out to check on her as well as Violet from second base and Minerva's own sister being the catcher.

Sophie and Clem have played softball for a while and they became close, they didn't let the rivalry of the teams interfere with that. Just Minerva.

Clem dropped to a squat as she tried to get herself together.

"are you okay?" Lilly asked. Violet helped her stand back up.

"yeah, yeah I'm good." She said and shook her arm a little. "I can go to first." she said and ran off to first base.

(for those who don't know about softball, if you get hit by a pitch you automatically get to go to first base.)

So she was at first and Violet ran back to second as the game continues like nothing happened. But the next batter was an out. So the score remained 7-4 and Clementine was ready to pitch.

"are you sure you can pitch? I can put Brody in if you're hurting." Lilly asked her, handing her a ball.

"yeah I'm good. Besides, I'm left handed, she hit my right arm."

"good point. Try to hold them off. We don't need to lose any worse than this." Lilly said with slight humor in her voice.

Clem turned to Violet who was putting on her catchers gear and then they both ran out there at the same time to meet everyone else on the field.

Clementine pitched to a few batters. One getting on base and one getting struck out. But then Minerva was up.

Violet called time out and ran to the pitchers mound and put the her glove over her mouth while she talked to make sure no one could read lips to tell what she was saying.

"hit her." Is all that was said.

"I have a plan. Just go with it." Clem said, doing the same thing. Violet nodded, trusting her girlfriend and headed back behind the plate.

Clementine took a deep breath and pitched the ball.

Strike one. Swing and a miss.

Minerva dead eyed Clem before getting ready to hit it again. Clementine pitched the ball faster, closer to Minerva's body but she jumped out of the way.

Ball one. Inside.

Minerva shook her head, she knew this would happen. That Clem would want to retaliate. She laughed at herself and set up again.

Strike two. Looking.

Violet had to laugh at the way Clementine was doing this. She was getting into Minerva's head.

Clementine took a breath, thinking about what she was about to do and if it was worth it. Then she realized...

She didn't care.

The ball went flying towards her knees but as Minerva jumped out of the way, it curved back as if it were magnetic to her and smacked her right in the side of her knee, causing her to go down on all fours and sit there for a minute.

Clementine stood at the pitchers mound as Violet attempts to help Minerva up so They don't look like complete douches but Minerva pushes her away and stands to walk to first, shooting Clem a look on the way down.

Half the crowd was cheering and the other half were either silent or boo-ing.

The inning ended quickly after that. Clem not letting them get another run. She runs back to the dug out and got her helmet back on. "nicely done Clementine." She heard Brody say and gave her a high five.

"thanks." Clem said and high fived her as she watched another one of their team mates, Sarah hit a line drive down the third base line and make it to first.

"damn you really got in her head, that pitch was awful easy to hit." Violet said coming up next to her and watched the ball get thrown back to Minerva. "I'm up, wish me luck." Violet smiled before running out there with her bat.

Clementine watched anxiously, worried that Minerva might target Violet now, since she knew how close they were, but she didn't. Instead, Violet hit another line drive down past second and into the out field and she made it to first and Sarah got to second.

Then Brody went up and Minerva walked her, throwing four balls and sending her to first.

The bases were loaded and Clementine came up to bat. She knew she got her revenge, but she wanted more than that. And Minerva was making it way too easy for her.

The first pitch to her was right down the middle and she took advantage of the opportunity and swung the bat as hard as she could and the ball went soaring. Over Minerva, over second base, over the outfield and gone. And Clem stood at home plate watching it go just to be petty and finally threw her bat down like a microphone and jogged around the bases, watching her team fly around to home plate to celebrate with her. She had just won the game for them with a grand slam four run home run. Finishing the game 8-7. Clementine rounded third and jogged home, slowing down and making the contact with Minerva who was standing on the pitchers mound as she touched home base, being surrounded by her Team mates.

"you're really petty, you know that?" Violet asked giggling and hugging Clem.

"hey, she started it."

AN
I really rushed this. So I apologize for my absence but I've been at theatre camp for the last 2 weeks and it's over now so hopefully I'll be back on more.
-Max