Team effort

I know I know, I need to stop doing softball/ baseball one shots. But they're cool! And I had this idea and needed to get a one shot out there 😂
... Sorry in advance but... Get tissues.

Clementines last college Games. One at two o'clock and the other at 4 o'clock. Clementine stood in her dorm room changing into her black and yellow designed uniform, the pants black with yellow stripes, and the Jersey white with "ESC" in yellow across it and the number 4 on the back in yellow. The TV quietly playing in the background saved her from complete silence.

(Whoever guesses what "ESC" stands for gets a cookie)

She tied her hair back in her traditional side ponytail and put on her yellow and black visor, looking at herself in the mirror.

She has played this sport her whole life. Pitcher and outfield ever since she was three years old. Now she's graduating college. She held her hands on the edge of the cold bathroom counter and took a deep breath, relaxing herself until her roommate and catcher, Sophie, came into her room.

"hey, we gotta go, we don't wanna be late for senior day." She said all smiley. Clementine just gave a small smile back and nodded. "who all is gonna walk with you?"

Before the games on senior day, they recognize the seniors and parents and friends get to escort them onto the field.

"Lee, Carley, AJ... And Violet." Clementine said cautiously, knowing that Sophie is about to fan girl to all hell.

"OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH VIOLET IS GONE ESCORT YOUUU." She says, twirling before landing on Clem's bed.

"shut up." Clementine came out of the bathroom and checked her phone before unplugging it and walking out the door. "we're gonna be late."

•••

"our next senior we'd like to recognize is Clementine Everett. Clementine is being escorted by her Mother Carley Everett, her father Lee Everett, her little brother AJ Everett, and her girlfriend Violet Adlon. Clementines favorite memory from softball is the one time she caught the final out of the championship game when she was only twelve years old. Something she will miss from softball is pitching to her favorite catcher, Sophie Rockingham." The announcer man said, reading off of a little clip board with all the information on it. Clementine and her family walked down the field, around the underclassmen and to the pitchers mound where she was greeted by coach Lilly who handed her flowers and gave her a warm hug.

They announced the rest of the seniors and took lots of pictures with team mates and family members before the game finally started, not before Violet hugged Clem for good luck.

"last games. No matter win or lose, have fun out there. I love you." Violet said before kissing her quickly.

"I love you too. I better hear you cheering for me."

"trust me, You will... Louis too." Violet laughed before leaving her to play the game.

•••

Clementine just finished pitching for the final time. There's still two innings left but they only have a pitcher in for four. She hugged Brody and Sophie coming back into the dug out, and pulled away when she saw Violet at the gate. She jogged out of the gate crying and Violet wrapped her arms around her tightly.

"I'm very proud of you. Now just have fun. It's over, go crazy." Violet jumped and Clementine giggled before wiping her tears and going back out there.

The next time in the field, coach Lilly had Minerva pitching, Sophie catching, Brody at third, and Clementine behind Brody in the outfield.

They were in a good place, but they had one more game to play after this and Clem wasn't set to pitch that game. All they needed was three outs and they win this game.

"nachos?" Louis asked his focused best friend.

"nah, I'm good." She manages to reply, not taking her eyes off the field.

"she's doing great." Louis points out.

"yeah. We still need three outs."

"they'll get it."

"come on Clem." she whispered to herself.

With Minerva at pitcher, they struck out one girl swinging. Minerva was a very good pitcher... But no one beat Clem.

The next girl hit a line drive to short stop, the girl grabbed it and threw it to first, getting her out.

One more.

One more and they have it.

Minerva pitched the ball and the batter zinged it down in between third and second. It was Clem's ball but in order to get it, she had to run and dive.

It felt like everything was in slow motion for the brunette. She ran as fast as she could to get to the spot before the ball hit the ground. Sweat blurred her vision, her legs ached from pitching and running the bases, her heart was beating out of her chest.

She had to dive hard to catch this ball, but she wasn't giving this run up.

She pushed off her right leg and dove forward, stretching both arms ahead of her to close the ball into the glove, which she does successfully and grunts when she hits the ground and slid a bit across the grass. And all of a sudden everything went black.

•••

Violet wwatched as the ball soared to Clementine. She lunged herself forward and the ball went in. Violet and Louis both jumped up cheering with the rest of the crowd when they saw she caught it.

She did it, she won the game for them.

But Violets celebration was cut short when she realized... Clementine's not moving.

"no. No no no."

•••

Brody turned to see Clem on the ground, almost celebrating but when the crowd goes quiet, her eyes widen and sees what everyone else sees.

She pulls off her face mask quickly along with her glove and sprinted over to her friend and dropped next to her, soon joined by Violet.

"she landed on her chest." Brody said panicking. Violet stood and turned around to the Crowd.

"CALL AN AMBULANCE!" She yelled and turned back to Clem. "you're okay. You're gonna be okay."

AN
Don't wworry, there will be a part 2. My sister's final game was today, they lost both games but I'm still proud of them.
-Max