chapter forty-two

the beginnings
of    rivalry

your p.o.v

        "So, you're going to be attending Quartet Night's recording session in a bit?"

        Smiling, I stood in front of the large teacher's desk within the S-Class' classroom, Ryuuya sitting down and mulling over a large stack of homework assignments turned in yesterday afternoon by the idol students. I adjusted my hold on my laptop before responding. "I'd like to if it's alright? I mean, it's the recording for their debut song- but I wouldn't be able to come to class today if you allowed me to go..."

        The orange haired actor looked up at me with a more or less blank expression, golden colored eyes studying me as he does so. "I don't see why not. You're their composer so you might as well keep those four from killing each other." He said before looking back down to the lyrics he has placed down in front of him. "You're both a professional and a student composer so as long as you don't let your academics fall behind then you're allowed to miss as much class as you need to for work reasons. Just know it's your responsibility to catch yourself back up and to not let your group of idol students fall behind."

        "I understand!" I responded happily with a bright smile. "Ah, that reminds me, what's our next set of projects?" I then asked. "There's nothing going on until after the Saotome Music Festival in about a weeks time and then I'll be back to panic composing I'm guessing?"

        Chuckling, Ryuuya flicked his eyes up at me for just a fraction of a second before marking something down on the lyrics in red pen. He must be reviewing the idols newly created lyrics. "There's one more duet project that you will be given a month to complete, winners with the highest scores earn themselves a professionally taken photoshoot and an interview that will be posted on the popular music blog "Sacred Song Sanctuary", and after that will be the last assignment with idols creating a trio and having to create a song together fitted with a full set of choreography as well. Two months will be given for that project. And then it's graduation audition time."

        "That sure is a lot..." I murmured.

        "You'll be working double actually." Ryuuya said without sparing me a glance, "So far you've only composed for Jinguji and Hijirikawa, the other four idols haven't been given duets or official individual songs like you did for them and so you'll be composing for Shinomiya, Ittoki, Ichinose, and Kurusu."

        My eyes widened at that. "You mean to tell me I have just one month to compose two duets and four solo songs?!"

        "That's exactly what I'm telling you. And for that last trio project, you'll be composing for all six of your idols over the course of two months. Just two songs with three idols on each one. How you divide up the duets and the trios among your idols is your call, but you promised to be their composer and Shining is going to make you stick to your word even if it's unreasonable."

        "I mean, I understand that but..." My voice trailed off.

        I'm going to be composing for Quartet Night some more soon for their next album so that already ensures I'll be having to compose at least two songs for them. Adding on all of these songs for my friends here at school is simply going to be impossible! How am I supposed to compose ten or more songs over the course of three months..?

        "___," Ryuuya spoke up, "look at me."

        Hesitantly, I met my idol teachers gaze.