chapter forty-eight

let' go kid

your p.o.v

          Day three into composing Quartet Night's solo songs and already I can feel myself suffering from the long days and nights of nonstop composing.

          Reiji's song "Doting Temptation" was the first one I started and finished, my dear step-sibling keeping me on the phone for nearly two hours A few nights ago just because he didn't want to stop talking to me. Next was AI's lyrical solo titled "Winter Blossom". He didn't talk to me much about his song in all honesty, just said he wanted something he guessed his fans would want to hear from him. We both decided on a soft lyrical piece and that was that. Camus and Ranmaru took a little more talking to before we came to a consensus that they should just leave the composing to me because wow are they controlling.

          Camus was very adamant on the fact that he didn't want to sing something, quote-unquote, weird. What he even meant by that is beyond me. Then again, he did outright call Ranmaru's taste in music weird so that was what I kept in mind as I started Camus' song off with a beautiful cello solo. "Absolute Zero Emotion" was the third song to be completed.

          Lastly came Ranmaru's song. As for that silver haired rocker, it took some convincing but he finally caved in and allowed me to make his song a rock song. I guess he's been pretty apprehensive about delving back into his rock past after what happened to his former band which is why he pushed so hard to have a different image from what he's already known for. But everyone fell in love with him for his bad-boy rock band personality and I couldn't see him happily performing any other type of song so I more or less wore him down until he caved in and gave up on having me compose him something different. "Bright Road" has a more upbeat melody than a hard rock feel to it so hopefully Ranmaru likes the song as much as I do.

          As for the songs themselves, they needed to have something in common or else four solos going on two separate cd's would be seen as weird to the fans so after talking with Shining and his production staff as well as Quartet Night, we all decided that featuring their individual instruments on each of their solo songs would be the best route for me to take; Camus has his cello, Reiji has a very upbeat maraca theme to his song. AI doesn't really have just one instrument he plays so he gave me the okay for his song to have just a classic piano. And, unsurprisingly, Ranmaru's song has a strong bass guitar with some drums added to hopefully make it feel more like a song he'd sing rather a song he's being forced to sing.

          After these three days, I've more or less finished the rough drafts to each of the songs. They're not one-hundred percent finished, but, they're pretty close to that stage once I listen to them a couple more times and edit the minute details that have been bugging me. After that, I'll have to meet with Quartet Night probably tomorrow evening or the morning after to discuss their group song...

          Stifling a yawn with the back of my hand, I saved AI's song and then reached forward to place my laptop down on the coffee table. Just as I told my friends I would, I've been more or less camping up in the practice room in the old part of Saotome Academy as to not be too bothered by anyone. I need to concentrate to finish all of these songs in a timely fashion so I can't stay in my dorm room with Haruka and Tomo-chan and risk getting distracted.

          I love them, but those two love-birds are two bad influences on someone who needs to get an unreasonable amount of work done in such a short amount of time.

          Glancing around the practice room some, I wasn't surprised to find the full moon now high up in the night sky just outside the window, the dark room only being illuminated by my laptops screen light and the moonlight trickling in from the star-filled sky. It has to be near three in the morning by now that I think about it.