☾ Chapter Seven

I froze, I didn't dare move a muscle. Time seemed to stop all around me; the only movement and sound came from the man and me.

I couldn't smell the scent of another wolf on him, I silently ruled out that he was a werewolf.

I analyzed every inch of him, concluding he was a human. More specifically, he was a Hunter.

How did he get past the pack patrol?

I sent a quiet prayer that no one had gotten hurt.

I slowly slid back onto the bank of the river onto the grass, becoming painfully aware I was naked, I had the urge to cover my body, but I didn't dare reach for the clothes that were nearby.

My eyes flickered to his hand, where there was a faint glint of something, I inhaled sharply. He was armed with a crossbow.

I focused on the Hunters face, unsure of what to do, panic filling every sense I have. My wolf was panicking just as much as I was. We had never been in this kind of situation before.

Do I run? Can I outrun him?

I knew my silent debate with myself would have to come to an end. The human started slowly walking towards me. His malicious smile, the wicked glint in his eyes showed he was not here to be friends.

My instincts kicked in, I quickly shifted back into a wolf and took off as fast I could in the other direction, trying to put as much distance as I could between us.

I could hear the branches breaking under him as he ran, he was coming after me.

I glanced around; I had no idea where I was going.

I was too scared to turn around, too afraid to look back. I focused on only going forward, hoping I would run into something other than this Hunter.

However, my luck ran out, realizing I ran straight into an open field.

There were no trees nearby, nothing to take cover behind. I silently cursed my white fur; it gave away my position. I couldn't turn around and go back the way I came; I would run into him.

I ran out a little further into the field, hoping I could get halfway through before the Hunter broke through the tree line, then it hit me, literally.

Searing pain.

It was unbearable.

I have never felt anything like this before. I let out a loud yelp, looking for the source of the pain. A crossbow bolt deeply embedded in my leg. The jolt was so shocking it shifted me back into human form.

The pain was overwhelming. Tears streamed down my face as I let out whimpers. I realized it was a silver bolt, touching it would hurt my hands, but I had no choice. I grabbed the bolt and pulled it out without hesitation, pain radiating throughout my entire body.

I couldn't breathe as I let out a loud scream, throwing the bolt as far as I could.

I let out more whimpers as I slowly inspected my leg. It was severely injured, blood streamed out of the wound quickly, my veins around the opening were turning a dark black.

I whipped my head up, looking around. He could see me, but I could not see him. A whistling sound shot past my ear, grazing the top of it. I screamed in pain at the little contact; it burned at the slightest touch, my hands instantly moving from my leg to my ear.

Slowly the human came out from behind the tree and gave me a grin.

"I didn't think I'd find something as beautiful as you here. It's such a shame that you are a monster" he purred, his satisfaction evident.