☾ Chapter Twenty-three

Athena ran over to me, crouching low in front of me, sending a menacing growl through the air. She eyed the stranger suspiciously, ready to attack at any moment.

"There's no need for that," the stranger said sweetly.

I frowned at how casual she was acting. "Who are you?" I asked cautiously.

"I'm Jayla Grayvine," she smiled at me.

I examined her closer, her dark skin contrasting again the blue dress she was wearing. Her loose brown curls framed her face. Her chocolate brown eyes looked as inviting as her smile.

She folded her wings into her body until they were no longer visible as she sat down on the ground, smiling at me.

"Who are you?" She asked, her eyes full of curiosity as she rested her head against her hands.

"I'm Rhea," I said slowly, unsure of her intentions.

She smiled at me then looked at Athena, waiting for her to introduce herself.

Athena watched with ever watching eyes, but said nothing in response. She was on high alert.

Jayla lightly shrugged when she wasn't answered, turning her gaze back to me, the smile never left her face.

"What are you doing out here?" She asked me.

"Um.." I hesitated to respond. Was she an enemy or was she a friend? I knew not all fairies were evil, but after the Collection, I honestly would be okay if I never saw one again in my life. "Just gathering material," I answered carefully.

"You have really pretty hair," she said as she reached out to touch it.

I instinctively pulled back from her touch, Athena gave a low growl as a warning.

Jayla seemed unfazed by our actions, continuing to reach for my hair.

"I don't think it's polite to touch a stranger's hair," I mumbled, scooting back from her.

"Nonsense," she smiled, "You're from the Moon Valley pack, right?"

"Yes, I am," I said slowly, my face scrunched in confusion.

"I've always thought your pack were the prettiest of all the wolves. So much like the moon, pure and bright. You only carry love in your heart. I think the moon would be proud of your pack."

I looked at Athena in confusion, trying to figure out the fairies intention. What the hell was going on? I didn't feel threatened or intimidated by her, but I didn't want to stick around any longer.

"Thank you, but I think we are too cut off from the rest of the world."

She gave me a sad smile as her eyes swirled with emotion.

"Why do you think that?" She questioned, a genuine look of curiosity passed through her face.

"Because I've seen the horrors inflicted on people. Horrors I did not even know existed," I whispered.

Why was I telling her this?

She searched my face, looking for something. Suddenly, her body straightened up. Her eyes looked like something has clicked.

"You're the wolf Thane has been talking about!" She exclaimed, clapping a bit for herself, proud of herself for piecing that together.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I replied, a little too quickly. I didn't like where this was going.

She waved her hand, disagreeing with my statement. "I'm certain you are. Which means you are mates with Alpha Jett, correct?"

I bit my lip nervously, I didn't like where this was going. The last thing we needed was a fairy to ruin our plan before it even started.

I saw Athena grow stiff at the mention of Jett, a look of concern growing on her face.

I decided to redirect the conversation, hoping we could get the focus off of Jett.

"Why are you here?" I asked.

Jayla tilted her head ever so slightly but smiled. "This is my land."

My mouth made an 'o' motion, oops.

"I'm so sorry; I didn't know. We'll take our leave," I quickly got up, sending a glance at Athena.

"No! I didn't mean you have to go! Please, stay!" Jayla begged.

I grabbed the basket of collected material and gave her an apologetic smile, "I'm sorry, but we really need to go. It's getting late."

She frowned, displeased with my answer.

"What do you need so much Willow bark for?" She eyed Athena's basket.

I started to get annoyed with the questions, "We're running low on supply."

She bobbed her head, "Well since you took it from my land, I think it's only fair that you stay and talk with me for a bit." She quickly looked at Athena and added, "But not you."

Athena finally spoke up, her eyes narrowing at Jayla, "I'm sorry but we cannot stay, Rhea..." She quickly grabbed my hand, dragging me away.

"I think you will stay," Jayla's voice suddenly had a much darker tone. My body instantly stopped moving.

Athena pulled my arm, but my body wouldn't budge.

I looked at Athena, my eyes widening. Did that fairy do this?

I turned my head to look at Jayla as she casually strolled over to us.

"Much better," she smiled, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear.

Athena growled, "What have you done!"

"I told you," Jalya replied impatiently. "She will stay. At least until we become friends."

I let go of Athena's hand, "It's okay, Athena. Go back to the compound, tell the Alpha I will be back soon," giving her an apologetic smile.

This was my only option. If she could make me stay by commanding it, there's no telling what other powers she had. I didn't want to push our luck and have Athena get hurt.

This was the best option.

"I can't leave you Rhea!" Athena exclaimed.

"Athena, you will go back to the compound," I said, authority dripping from my voice.

She gave me a look of disbelief like she couldn't believe I was sending her away to stay with a stranger. Honestly, I couldn't believe it either.

"But..." She began to object.

"Jayla will not hurt me," I said while I looked at her, "Right?"

She smiled and nodded, "I will not hurt Rhea."

I turned back to Athena; she looked so conflicted. She knew the wrath she would face going back to Jett without me, but from where we stood, it didn't look like I had much of a choice.

"Go, I will be okay. I promise." I gave her a small smile.

She reluctantly nodded, slowly backing away.

"I'll be okay!" I called one last time to her before she was out of view.

I mentally sighed. I had no idea what this girl wanted.

I turned and looked at her, smiling as sweetly as I could, "So, what do you want from me?"

Jayla matched my smile, "Let's talk."