☾ Chapter Forty

I woke the next morning to an empty bed, slightly frowning but quickly got over it. I knew how busy Jett would be today. He didn't have time to hide away in our room, no matter how much I wanted that.

I got up, quickly taking a shower, eager to go see if Jett needed any help. I quickly threw on an off the shoulder t-shirt and some jeans and ran out the door.

The cold air I was greeted with made me shiver, instinctively causing me to wrap my arms around myself. It was late fall, the leaves were almost all gone from the trees, and the chilly wind was constant. I made my way quickly to the pack house, not wanting to linger outside any longer than I had to, seeing the burnt houses made me feel guilty.

I looked around for Jett but didn't see him anywhere, with a small frown I ran upstairs to see if maybe he was in one of the conference rooms. I knocked on the only closed door, hoping he was in here and I didn't have to travel back into the cold.

The door opened, and I was greeted by Rooks, who had his award-winning smile plastered on his face.

"Good morning," I smiled.

"Good morning," he replied as he opened the door further for me to get in.

My smile faltered a little when I saw Jett hunched over his computer; he looked incredibly stressed. I walked over to him and placed my hand on his shoulder.

"Hey," I said softly.

He grabbed my hand, giving it a tight squeeze. "Hey," he replied.

"Everything okay?"

Jett pursed his lips before looking to Rooks. He let out a small sigh, "Can you tell me everything that happened during the fires?"

I nodded, sitting next to him in a chair. I told him everything that had happened, skipping quickly over the whole saving Peter part. I knew he wouldn't be incredibly pleased that I risked my life.

After I finished filling them in on everything they sat in silence for a while, both of them in deep concentration.

Jett finally pinched the bridge of his nose, looking even more stressed than he did ten minutes ago.

"Oh!" I exclaimed, suddenly remembering the man that was rummaging around Jett's office.

Jett raised an eyebrow, waiting for me to say finish whatever caused my slight outburst.

I bit my lip nervously, feeling bad adding yet another thing to his stress.

"Um... there's one more thing," I sighed. "Before I went to bed, I heard noises coming from your office. I went in, and some random guy was going through your desk..." I ended, watching Jett's expression grow darker by the minute.

"Do you think anything was taken?" Rooks asked, concern evident in his face.

I sighed, "No? But I can't be sure because I don't know what was there before."

"Did you recognize him?" Rooks asked, looking just as grim as Jett.

I shook my head, "I mean I'm still meeting new people but no," I pursed my lips remembering the face, "I've never seen him before," I said confidently.

"Describe him," Jett snapped.

I flinched a bit at the aggression of his voice but reminded myself it wasn't really directed towards me.

"Blonde hair, brown eyes, he didn't look like he was from the pack. Oh! Also, he called me ma'am," I replied thoughtfully.

"Ma'am?" Rooks echoes, knitting his brows in confusion.