☾ Chapter Twenty-six

"An alliance?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. I mean I felt terrible for Jayla, but that didn't mean I was going to automatically trust her.

"Mhm."

"Why?"

"I know about Thane's control over the Onyx pack; I know what he does to the people he takes... I want to stop the torture. I want to stop the tyranny of the fairies, the pain, and suffering we have inflicted as a race needs to end. I want you to help me, Rhea."

I hesitated, taking in what she was saying. I had to agree that would be some valuable information, but I couldn't just say yes.

"I don't think this is my decision alone to make..." I finally answered. I didn't want to agree to an alliance without the consent of Jett.

"I'm not trying to trick you. I only wish to stop this, I want to break the cycle," she pleaded with me. Her eyes were shining with sincerity.

I let out a defeated sigh. Somehow I knew she was telling the truth. Aren't our goals similar anyways? I was trying to free Jett's pack. She was trying to end the tyranny of her father.

We both wanted freedom.

Could we really do this?

"Okay, okay..." I sighed,

She grinned, nodding enthusiastically.

"On one condition," I quickly added.

"Of course," Jalya responded, unphased.

"You must personally tell Jett everything. If we're going to do this together, it's all or nothing."

She nodded, extending her hand to me, waiting for me to shake it.

I bit my lip nervously before finally taking her hand in mine, slowly shaking it.

"You have yourself a deal, Rhea."

I gave a slight smile, silently praying this was the right decision.

"Shall we go back to your pack?" Jayla asked, walking away to the door.

"Yeah, let's go."

____

Jayla and I arrived at the compound, that was uncharacteristically shut down.

I turned to Jayla, "Jett and the rest of the pack are going to be on edge. Don't say anything until I tell you to."

She nodded, following closely behind me.

It was silent, not a person in sight. I was on high alert. I knew Jett would be furious at me for telling Athena to leave, he would probably try to attack Jayla immediately.

We slowly walked through the streets to Jett's house. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding when we reached the door.

Almost there.

"Remember, let me do the talking..." I whispered again.

I slowly pushed open the door, the sound of my heart beating echoed in my ears, a wave of unease washed over me.

Where is everyone?

I grabbed Jayla's hand as we quickly ascended the stairs. We walked up to Jett's office door, quietly opening the door.

Jett huddled in a circle with Athena and Beta Rooks, talking in hushed tones. They were dressed in black, small knives and guns strapped to their hips like they were about to go on a mission.

Their heads whipped in our direction simultaneously. I gulped at their intimating faces, feeling unwelcomed.

"Rhea!" Athena was the first one to break the tension, running over to me engulfing me in a hug.

"Oh my God, I was so worried about you!" She breathed, as she stepped back.

Her attention snapped to Jayla who was patiently waiting behind me. She gave Athena a small smile.

"Rhea," Jett's deep voice cutting through the air. My eyes immediately found his black ones. One stride and he was in front of me. 

"I was worried about you," he replied, anger evident in his voice but his eyes filled with warmth.

I gave him an apologetic smile, "I'm sorry."

He placed his hand gently against my cheek, my head instantly falling into it. His eyes slowly wandered over to Jayla.

"Jayla Grayvine," his voice firm.

She gave him a small nod.

"Wait how did you know her name?" I scrunched my face.

"Millicent told me," he replied absentmindedly, "You know her right?" He directed his question to Jayla.

She gave him another nod.

He let out a small growl, "Speak when I ask you a question."

She looked at me for permission, I nodded.

"I do not answer to you," she brazenly said to Jett, smiling.

I let out a small cough to disguise my laugh at the look on Jett's face.

"Excuse me?" He growled at her, a dark expression covered his face.

"I answer to Rhea alone," she repeated, a bit slower.

I let out a chuckle, "It's all or nothing, remember?"

Jayla let out a small sigh, "Yes, I know Millicent. She is the only person that used to visit me, she is a friend of mine."

"What are you doing here? Why did you keep Rhea from leaving?" Jett asked, anger swirling in his eyes.

I placed a hand on his chest, instantly feeling him relax to my touch.

"We will explain everything, in private," I emphasized.

Without hesitation, Jett ordered Athena and Rooks to leave.

I slowly closed the door as I bid them farewell, leaving Jayla, Jett and I in his office.

"Speak," he motioned towards Jayla.

She let out a sigh and began from the beginning. She told Jett the story of her lover, how he was brutally killed, how she was exiled for it, and her believing that her father was under control by Thane, and finally mentioning an alliance. 

When she finished, the room went silent, I nervously bit my lip waiting for Jett to answer.

"What do you bring to the table? What is our benefit from an alliance with you?" He narrowed his eyes at Jayla.

She smirked, her eyes narrowing at him, "I hold intimate knowledge on Thane, his weaknesses, his powers. I hold special powers of my own. You need me."

"You've been exiled for centuries. How do you know that your information is still applicable to now?" He asked.

"Just because I'm exiled doesn't mean I don't know things. I can help you free your pack, you can help me help an entire kingdom be rid of the black mark that has plagued all of us."

He put his hands under his chin, taking in her answer.

"Jett, I believe her. I believe in her," I cut into the conversation.

His eyes shifted to me, his face slightly relaxing.

"Do you trust her with your life?" He questioned.

"Absolutely," I answered without any hesitation. It was true, I had only known her for a few hours, but I felt this strong connection with her. I believed in her mission, and I believe she could truly help us.

Jett let out a small sigh, "Consider yourself part of the rebellion."