☾ Chapter forty-four

My stomach turned, I felt sick. The thought of an entire pack being wiped out was unimaginable to me.

What would I do without my family?

It was something I didn't want to think about, I knew it would crush me.

Poor Ryker, I frowned while staring at the door he and Athena had walked through.

"Rhea," Jett said softly, calling my attention towards him.

I smiled slightly, but I could see how much this news had affected him too. Things felt too real, things were moving too fast.

If I hadn't been Jett's mate, I wouldn't be here. I wouldn't be in danger every day. I would be living a normal Luna life... But did I really want that? 

When I first arrived here, the answer would be yes, without a second of hesitation. I would've left at the first opportunity that presented itself, to return back to my normal life in my normal pack. But now things had changed. I was apart of the Onyx pack, I was their Luna.

Jett, Octavia, Athena, they had all become so important to me. I wanted to fight, to protect everyone, but now I was realizing just how hard this was going to be. I don't want to lose anyone, I don't want the Onyx pack to suffer any more than they already have, but I don't think that will be an option. Maddox made his first real move, and it was a vicious one.

"A penny for your thoughts?" Jett smiled, grabbing my hand, his thumb slowly rubbing against my skin.

I let out a small sigh, "I just..." what was it I was feeling? Overwhelmed, without a doubt. Frustration? Absolutely. But there was something else there, something I hadn't really felt since my encounter with the hunter. The feeling was fear.

"I'm scared, I'm scared of what is going to happen to everyone."

His face tightened a bit, "I have something I want to talk to you about."

I frowned slightly, unsure of where this conversation was heading. With everything going on, was he going to break our bond to keep me safe? That would be the last thing I would ever want. I couldn't live without him.

"I know things didn't go so well last time, but I know how much your family means to you. I want to bring your entire pack here."

"What?" I asked, hearing his question but not fully processing it. "The entire pack?"

"I want to keep them safe, for you. I've been talking to your father. Thane knows what pack you come from, it's kind of hard to miss," he slightly smiled, grabbing the end of my hair and letting it go, causing a small smile to form on my lips.

"I couldn't live with myself if something happened to your family. To your pack. Ryker is strong but... to lose the pack you will always belong to changes you, it destroys you. He will never be the same, the guilt of surviving because he left will always stay with him. If I can stop it before it happens to you, I will."

I nodded to his words. Indeed, losing my pack would be beyond devastating, not being able to see my family ever again... it's something that would break my heart.

"So what are you planning?" I asked, still not sure. "Are they just going to move in? Are they really okay with this?"

Pack hierarchy would never allow two Alpha's to really be in the same area, working together or not. Pack loyalty is a fierce thing, something like this would cause some trouble during an already trying time. Especially since my father was older than Jett, he would demand more respect than Jett might be willing to give, his wolf would never allow the act of submission.

"Not necessarily on pack lands, but there is some space that they could move to, that we would be able to live closer, protect them and we gain an ally. It's going to take all of us to bring down Thane, we need all the packs we can get," he sighed, sitting back down in his chair, absentmindedly flipping through some papers that were in his desk.

I mulled the thought over, having my family closer would be nice, and it would make me feel better knowing they are somewhat protected rather than in our very open valley.

"I mean, I would love to have them closer. As long as the pack is okay with it... both packs," I nodded, deciding it was best for everyone.

Jett smiled, causing me to smile back instantly.

"I'll tell them to start the move, it'll be a process but I know it will be for the best. Your dad is a good Alpha, you should be proud."

A knock on the door caused my gaze to be torn from my mates face. I smiled as Jayla walked through the door.

She immediately rushed over to me, squeezing me tight in her arms.

"I am so sorry I wasn't here during the fires... I wish so much I could have helped. I should have been here to protect you," she whispered.

She released me from her grip and turned her attention to Jett, "I'm sorry I wasn't here. Things took longer than expected."

Jett waved her apology off, "Did you figure anything out? Did you find Thane?"

Jayla frowned, which caused Jett to immediately frown in response, already displeased with her answer.

"I swear I looked everywhere, but it's silent out there right now. Everyone is too scared to share any information, there's a lot going on in the fairy realm. Thane is making some major changes, and not good ones," Jayla frowned more, recalling whatever changes that were currently happening.

"However, I did find out more on Maddox.... the East Woodland Pack was his move, Thane didn't authorize it. Supposedly, this really upset him. Maddox has been doing more and more things he wants to and not under orders. I can't imagine their relationship is going too well right now. He's also planning another big thing, but I'm not sure what it is."

Jett listened intently, nodding very slowly as Jayla spoke.

"Maddox has always done his own thing, it's not too surprising he's rebelling against Thane... we could probably use it to our advantage."

"We need to be careful though, his hybrid wolves are getting more powerful, he's finding the balance between wolf blood and demon blood. They're not something to take lightly."

Jett sighed, something he does a lot now. My eyes drank in his facial details, the dark rings under his eyes, the fine lines that seemed to be creeping on his face. He was stressed, it was never-ending with the bad news, we hadn't had a win in quite some time.

I felt the need to give Jett space, to figure out a plan with Rooks, for them to figure out what was to come.

"Jayla," I turned, giving her a small smile, "I would love to continue working on my healing with you.

____

I slowly picked at the herbs in a small shed by Millicent's cottage, my mind was a miles away. I felt consumed in every way, consumed with anxiety, stress, fear, it made my body ache. I needed some peace, a bit of relief, even if it was for an hour. 

How could we win this? Not only were we up against these crazy hybrid wolves, which all I've heard is how strong they are, but we were also up against the Fairy King. I'd seen what Jayla could do, and it was scary. The things a Fairy King could do was almost unfathomable.

Why was everything happening now? I knew the answer to that though, it had always been happening, I was just protected in my small bubble, oblivious to what was happening in the actual world. 

I never cared for pack politics, who was fighting who, who the next Alpha was, I was content just being the daughter of the Alpha, being with my siblings, my pack. That all felt like a lifetime ago. I felt a pang of guilt, I couldn't even remember some of the faces of my old pack members anymore.

I rocked back onto my knees, letting out a small sigh. Each day we get closer to doing whatever we need to do with Maddox, but each day it made me more nervous. I knew we had to do this, but the thought of losing anyone terrified me.

Is it all really going to be enough?