☾ Chapter Forty-two

Note: Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!

Additionally, please let me know if I should take out all of Athena's POV chapters to make this solely Rhea's story, or if you enjoy her small chapters! Your thoughts and comments will help tremendously on how the rest of the story goes!

Athena's POV

"Octavia?" I tried to mind-link with her, as I floored it down the road. I hadn't gotten a response from her in the past 10 minutes, which made me incredibly anxious.

I was gripping the steering wheel so tight my knuckles were turning white when Octavia finally answered.

"We're at the coffee shop sitting outside, I need you to be here like now. I think there's about six of them."

"On it," I responded, I was right around the corner from the coffee shop, so that made it easy. I slammed the car into park, causing me to jerk forward and the car to make a god awful sound. Oops.

I walked quickly, but not quick enough to get the attention of whoever may be watching them.

Rhea was the first to spot me, giving me a puzzled look, "Athena?"

She got up from her seat, giving me a quick hug, "Luna," I smiled back at her, slightly bowing my head. I glanced over to Octavia who flashed me a quick smile.

"What are you doing here?" Rhea asked, causing me to turn my attention towards her. She looked tired, her pale skin lacked the glow it always had, her eyes were dark. No doubt she was still drained from everything that happened.

"Oh, I was just in the area, thought I would stop by," I smiled at her, hoping she wouldn't dig too far into it. By the looks of it, Octavia hadn't told her they were being watched.

Her eyes narrowed a bit like she didn't accept my answer but luckily she didn't press into it too much. "How are you?" I asked while carefully scanning the area around us. Octavia was right, people were watching, but why were they so obvious?

It's like they wanted us to know that we were being watched. No doubt they were watching Rhea. Everything was just too much of a coincidence.

I turned back to Rhea, who was staring at me. Shit, I missed everything she said.

"What's going on?" She asked slowly, looking to Octavia now, who had been focused intently on something that was behind me, probably another person.

"Hmm?" She answered, innocently.

Rhea's face showed an emotion I've rarely seen on her, frustration. "Tell me, now," she said forcefully this time.

I cleared my throat, "It appears that we are being watched by a few people."

Rhea started to stir the drink she had in front of her, "Is that all? I felt eyes on us as soon as we came here." Her voice was firm, but there was a slight tremble in her hand as she moved the spoon.

Octavia glanced my way, her face said it all. It was time to go.

"Why don't we head home? I'd prefer for you to be safe, Rhea," Octavia turned towards Rhea, her tone made it clear there was no room for negotiation. Although Octavia was young, she was quite the skilled fighter and she would never forgive herself if something happened to our Luna.

Rhea sighed but didn't argue, simply nodding her head and she got out of her seat.

Octavia and I followed Rhea back to the car they arrived in.

After agreeing to meet back up at the pack house, I quickly made my way back to my car. I still felt the eyes watching my every move, this would be something I would have to report to Jett.

_______

After everything that's happened, I didn't want to delay telling Jett. Things were moving, quickly, and we needed to do our best to try to stay afloat in all of it. We needed to be strong now more than ever.

"Jett?" I called out, knocking on his office door.

"Come in," Rooks voice called out throughout the door.

The moment I stepped through the door, something was off. I'd never seen our Alpha look so stressed, so dark. A quick glance towards Rooks confirmed something had happened, something bad.

"Is everything ok?" I asked, somewhat hesitant to know.

"It seems as though Maddox has made another move, and..." Jett trailed, looking at me with worry.

"And?" I pressed.

He let out a sigh, "You'll want to go get Ryker. This is something he needs to hear as well."

I felt only one thing; dread.

I quickly made my way to our temporary room in the Alpha's house, spotting Ryker contently laying down, reading a book.

I instinctively slowed down, drinking in his image. His hair has gotten longer the past few weeks, he didn't have his normal boyish looks anymore. With everything going on, it seems like it's taken a toll on him.

I frowned a bit, knowing if he had a mate in his own pack, he probably wouldn't have to experience everything he has since he's been with me. I felt a pang of guilt.

"Hey, you" Rykers soothing voice brought me out of my thoughts.

"Hey..." I trailed, suddenly feeling anxious.

Ryker raised an eyebrow, no doubt he could sense I was about to say something he probably wouldn't like.

"Alpha would like to see us," I tried to give him a small smile, but it felt like I was reassuring myself more than him.

Ryker nonchalantly bobbed his head, setting down his book, swiftly getting out of our bed.

He took my hand, giving it a slight squeeze as we made our way back to the pack house, to hear whatever news Jett had declined to give me before.

With each step, the sinking pit in my stomach grew deeper.

When we finally made it back to the office, it had felt like an eternity had gone by. Rhea stood next to Jett, she had no doubt told him about being watched.

"Ryker," Jett stared at him, some emotion in his eyes. Sorrow. Sympathy.

"Alpha," Ryker smiled, but his voice was tense. He noticed the look our Alpha was giving him. It wasn't a look he wanted.

"Ryker..." he trailed once again. His face was dark, his body tense. "I..." he let out a sigh, rubbing his face.

"Ryker," he started once again. Whatever he wanted to say, he was struggling. "We received some news, that Maddox has been making some moves."

Ryker nodded just head, unsure of where this was going. Why he needed to be here for this news, he wasn't ever included in any discussions of war.

"And... it appears that he has attacked the Eastern Woodland Pack," Jett paused, looking at Ryker who just frowned.

"Ok, and?" Ryker pressed, "I don't get where you're going with this. It's a big pack."

This was true, of all the packs within 50 miles, his truly was one of the biggest. But they weren't an aggressive pack, nor were they really known for fighting.

"It seems like most... if not all your pack has been killed."