☾ Chapter Eighteen

I just want to say thank you so much for reading/voting on chapters. I know there are millions of books on Wattpad, so it actually means so much that you guys are reading this one <3 

****

I sat quietly in the library at Jetts, pouring over a mountain of books I had pulled from the shelves a few minutes ago. I told Jett I was going to help him free his pack a few days ago, and I meant it.

I began moving the pile, looking for any books regarding fairies, not sure where to start. I examined a few books, finally settling on a large brown leather book coated in dust, the binding slowly coming undone. I opened the cover delicately and began skimming the text.

Alpha Ymir

Year 1840. 

I lightly traced the fading ink, turning the page gently.

I read over the words; Alpha Ymir stated he was 15 years old when he was gifted the book, it meant to keep his thoughts private and safe.

"Not that safe..." I mumbled to myself as I flipped through more the pages, trying to quickly skim through the pages.

I was curious to see if he had written anything down as an adult, more specifically, things to do with Thane. 

I found a page towards the back that was different from the previous ones. The writing slowly became different, more frantic.

The war continues to rage; I do not know if it will ever end. The pack has grown tired of the endless fighting. We don't have much strength left. The fairies numbers are never-ending; every day there seem to be more of them. No doubt it's a result of their wretched experiments. They call us monsters, yet they inject creatures with their magical potions, seeking to find the ultimate being with the most power, a perfect beast.

The humans cower, retreating at every turn they have. The other packs are stretched just as thin, not much power remains. 

The wounds the fairies are inflicting are too much, not even the Moon Pack healers cannot keep up. I... I don't know what to do anymore. How can I keep the pack alive when we face such a monster.

I frowned a bit at the words I read, I had never heard of our pack going to war at any time for another pack or really in general. I skipped down the page further, looking for any mention of Thane. 

Nothing.

I flipped through a couple more pages, hoping to find something, but only found the desperation of Alpha Ymir. Frustrated, I let out a small sigh. I wracked my brain about all the things I could do to help but came up empty. I can't contribute to fighting, at least not in a way that would help. I'd probably be in the way if I seriously tried to fight.

I closed the book with a slam, discouraged with my lack of discovery.

I pushed the book away turning my attention back to the pile, hoping something would jump out, but nothing did.

Backing away from the table, I got up and walked over to the bookcases that lined the wall with the never-ending shelves going upwards.

I glanced over a couple of the rows, my eyes landing upon some documents filed neatly in the corner. I slowly pulled them out, bringing it back to the table.

I skimmed hundreds of words, looking for anything that could help. 

Then I saw it, the word Thane.

I focused in on the document, letting out a small groan when I realized it was in a language I could not read.

At the bottom, I saw the signature of Thane and Alpha Ymir. 

"This must be the agreement they signed," I said out loud. 

I frowned, wishing I knew the native fairy language to be able to read it, slightly surprised that Alpha Ymir was able to read it.

I flipped through the next few pages, looking for any additional clues.

Nothing.

I exhaled sharply, flopping my head on the table. I haven't started helping and I was already failing. 

I turned my attention back to the pile of books, grabbing a tiny one that was buried under some larger books and began to look through, trying to find what it was about.

It was a small war journal, detailing the war from the perspective of the Beta of the time. He recalled details of the fight, how the fairies were incredibly powerful.

Something caught my attention in the next paragraph. He began talking about the wolves from the Moon Valley pack. 

I began to read the words, excitement spreading throughout my body. 

I've never seen anything like this, the wolves from the Moon Valley pack. Their fur that is always so pure, so bright, turned blood red during the fight. 

I watched them battle in the field, during the eclipse of the moon when the night was still and pitch black. It was the only time I saw the fairies flee, it was the one real chance we had, but it wasn't enough. Three Moon Valley wolves were not enough to overpower the might of the fairies.

As soon as the eclipse was over, their fur turned white, and they collapsed, our healers rushed out to them...

I stopped reading, unsure of what this meant. But if an eclipse meant we gained some power, this was something.

I grinned, "I think I have an idea."