Chapter Three

POV Christine

The next day after class came cheerleading tryouts. I walked into the locker room and quickly dressed into shorts and a crop top. As soon as I was dressed I walked over to Sophie and Emily who were already on the field eating for me.
"I'm dreading this because of Janet but hopefully my skills will be enough to get me on the squad." I said.
"We are co-captains, even if you suck you'll get on the squad." Emily said. Emily and Sophie were amazing friends and I felt so lucky to have them by my side. As I looked out to the football players who were also practicing one of them looked over at me and winked and I softly blushed. He was extremely handsome but I had no idea who he was. I couldn't get his face out of my head the whole time. This boy had long blonde hair and his eyes were a soft blue that you could melt in.

After the vigorous cheer tryouts I made it on the team only thanks to Emily and Sophie, I was thankful they had my back. Once everyone made their way back to locker rooms I stayed behind to drink water and catch my breath until a hand on my shoulder startled me and I jumped back to see who it was. It was the handsome football player.
"I didn't mean to scare you." he said chuckling softly.
"I haven't seen you around before. I'm Steven and you are?" he asked.
"I'm Christine." I said.
"A beautiful name for such a beautiful girl. I'll be honest I couldn't keep my eyes off of you." he said. I couldn't help but blush, his words made me melt like butter in heat. We ended up talking for half an hour when Emily and Paul came out to meet him.
"Ah, I see you've met my big brother." Emily said as Paul glared at Steven. If I didn't know any better I'd say Paul was jealous and quite honestly it was adorable.
"This beautiful girl is your friend?" Steven asked his little sister. Emily nodded while Paul clenched his jaw only noticeable to me.
"Get you ass back into the locker room and get dressed we gotta get home." Paul said to Steven as she strolled on over next to me. Steven rolled his eyes and ran to the locker room with the helmet in hand.
"Is someone jealous?" I teased as his cheeks flushed into a bright pink color.
"No." Paul said even though we all knew he was.

The next morning my mom dragged me to school with her at 5 AM, a whole tour hours before school even started. I decided to explore the school some more and that's when I discovered the music room and walked in when I saw someone playing a bass guitar.
"Oh I am so sorry, I didn't know that someone was in here." I said as I was about to walk out. "No it's cool." the boy said. This guy looked like he came straight out of an 80s hair band. The typical wild hair. It was light brown and his eyes were blue and he was fit and thin.
"You're the new girl, Christine right?" he asked. "Yeah, that's me." I said.
"I have you for English, noticed you the very first day." he said smiling. It seemed that every boy I encountered had a flirty introduction with me and this was definitely a first for me. The guys at my old school barely noticed me. I smiled at him.
"What are you doing here so early?" I asked. "My uncle works at a warehouse and this was the only way I could get to school, I understand plus it gives me more time to get better at my bass playing." he said.
"You're really good." I said.
"I used to sing in a band back in my old town." I mentioned.
"Oh yeah?" he asked with a smirk.
"I have a band with two of my other buddies that go here, we're pretty good." he said with a devilish smile. I could tell he was a bad boy and I was definitely drawn to his charm. We talked until students started to fill the halls and the bells began to ring.
"I never got your name." I said looking at him. "Joe." he said with a wink.
"Let's go, we have first period together." he said waiting for me by the door. I smiled and we walked to class together.

I ended up sitting next to him and the class flew by. By the end of the class the teacher assigned us to read F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. It was one of my favorites and I had an advantage of having read it before. I walked out with a smile and waved at Joe before finally making it to my locker. Emily got to hers a few second later.
"How was English? Make any new friends?" Emily asked.
"One. A handsome boy named Joe." I said. "Oh! Joe! He is in my brother's band!" Emily exclaimed.
"Seriously it's like you guys know everyone here." I said giggling.