Chapter Twenty Seven

POV Joe

It was the day of freedom. Fucking finally. Steven and I were handed our regular clothes and belongings. I immediately put on the arrowhead necklace that Emily had given me when we were kids. We were given release papers and once we signed them we walked out the gates to see Paul and David. When we saw them Steven and I looked at each other and ran towards the boys. I ran over hugging Paul tightly and Steven hugged David. After hugging Paul, I hugged David and then we all group hugs while laughing. 
"Woo!" I yelled. 
"Freedom feels so fucking great." Steven said laughing.
"You both deserve a beer." 
"The Runaways are back and here to stay motherfuckers." David screamed out to the sky. 
In the car Steven shared the news songs he had written with the guys and they turned out to be damn good. 

Emily called me and the boys to come down for a visit the second we arrived at Paul's apartment. We got a few things together and then made the long drive to Jersey. We came into viewing distance of the large mansion owned by our friends. 
"Holy shit." I said.
"Whoa." Steven added. 
Paul chuckled at our reactions and he parked the car. We walked in and waited in the living room. 
"This is wild." I said to Paul as I noticed John and Emily walking towards us. 
"Welcome to our humble abode." Emily said running towards me. Emily hugged me tightly. It had been four years and she was still the same fun loving girl I remembered. 
"I've missed you so much Joe, don't ever leave for that long ever again." Emily said as I hugged her back. Emily knew me better than most people, she could tell there was a change in me. I kissed her cheek and then she hugged Paul. 
"Are you ready to meet Samantha?" Emily asked. This was the moment. I took a deep breath and followed Emily to the den. Immediately, my eyes locked with Christine's and then to the little girl sitting on the floor drawing pictures. It was my daughter. I began to tear up. Samantha was beautiful, she wore a pink floral dress with pink flats. Samantha looked up and noticed me immediately. 
"Samantha." Christine said as she pointed at me. "That's your daddy." 
Samantha slowly got up and walked over to me. I kneeled down to be closer to her. 
"Hi Samantha, I'm you daddy." 
Samantha looked at me and touched my face. I was overcome with so many emotions. Samantha smiled at me. 
"Daddy?" she asked.
"Yeah, baby it's me." I said as I picked her up and kissed her cheeks. Samantha giggled and held onto me. Christine had walked over to us. 
"Thank you." I whispered as I kissed her forehead. 
"Hi Uncle Paul." Samantha said smiling. 
"Hey angel." Paul said chuckling softly. 
I put Samantha down and she grabbed my hand and showed me around the house. For a four year old girl she was very smart. I am so proud. I shed a couple tears as Samantha showed me around the house. When we got to her room she looked up at me confused.
"Are you ok daddy?" 
"Yeah I am baby, I'm just so happy to be here with you. I love you very much."
"I love you too daddy." Samantha said with a soft smile. 
Samantha sat down on the bed and started showing my some of her favorite dolls. I couldn't focus on what she was saying, all I could think about was how much happiness she brought me. I never knew I could love another human being this much. Samantha put on the CD she owned and I couldn't believe what was playing. Playing on her radio was a love song I had written and recorded with The Runaways. I grabbed the empty CD case and on the cover there was hand written that said, "Joe's vocal tracks." It brought tears to my eyes. My daughter actually listened to my music. She loved it. I stayed with Samantha in her room listening to my songs and answered her question. I was even asking her questions. Samantha walked over to the rack of children movies she owned. She asked me if I would watch The Little Mermaid and I chuckled and said, "Of course baby." I said as I popped it in the DVD player and laid down with her in the bed. Samantha cuddled up against me and I held her while kissing her forehead. I heard her soft giggle and smiled. I don't remember a point in my life when I was ever happier. When I first met Christine I never imagined this would be where we were at years later.