Chapter Thirty Five

POV Sophie

We arrived to our home and everyone seemed to go to bed immediately. I sat by the bar area and David found me. I was drinking a glass of wine thinking about the events of this terrible day.
David poured himself a glass of bourbon.
"I played matchmaker today, I convinced Paul to have Christine stay at his place for a couple of nights and it worked." I said with a small grin.
"You cheeky thing. I think I have an idea on what they are doing right about now." David said laughing. After I finished my wine I walked over to him and wrapped my arms around him kissing him. We made it to my bedroom in a mere seconds and made love the entire night. I felt terrible because the whole time I could only think about Steven.

The next morning I woke up in David's arms and smiled at his sleeping face. Why was I always thinking of Steven when I was with David? David was a good man and treated me with respect and genuine kindness. I got up and walked downstairs and saw Steven sitting down alone drinking a cup of coffee. I hadn't been alone with him in years. I gulped and walked in. Steven looked at me and I could see a slight smile grow on his face. I bit my lip and stared at him. He was wearing nothing but sweatpants. I missed his body and my heart raced. I was wearing nothing but my underwear a large t-shirt and shivered.
"Cold?" Steven asked.
"A little."
"Sit." Steven said as he got up and poured me a mug of hot coffee.
"Thanks." I said with a soft smile. Steven sat back down next to me and looked at me. I looked back after a couple of seconds. Without thinking, I placed my hand on his cheek and he closed his eyes placing his hand over mine and kissing my palm. I kissed his cheek and drew my hand back. There was still so much love between us. After so many years, not even a little bit of our love burned out, if anything it felt stronger than ever.

POV Christine

That night once we got into the bedroom I had my wedding night with the person I least expected. Part of me felt as if I were dreaming but I wasn't. Paul was right here in front of me and it was all real. Paul undressed me while I undressed him. I kissed him and it was full of passion and hunger. I wrapped my arms tightly around him as we kissed. Paul kissed my neck and I moaned softly. I haven't felt this much pleasure since the last time we made love, it must have been ten years ago.
"I need you." I whispered as I kissed him deeply. We ended up on the mattress of his bed and his hands roamed all over my body. It was intoxicating and my body began to heat up. Paul kissed my thighs and inner thighs until his tongue found a way to pleasure me. I gripped the bed sheets and then Paul continued to kiss my neck and chest.
"I'm all yours Paul." I whispered.
"Christine." he moaned softly. Paul continued kissing my neck until I felt him slip inside me. Our bodies were in sync instantly. Even though it had been years we still knew exactly how to please each other and it was easy. Within minutes, I felt a wave of pleasure make my body tremble. I moaned his name when I felt it. Each thrust offered more and more pleasure until he moaned when he felt himself reach the feeling of ecstasy. When Paul caught his breath he collapsed next to me and looked at me. We didn't speak for a couple of minutes but that was okay, we didn't need words. I cuddled up against him and closed my eyes. I felt like I was floating in the clouds. My love for Paul burned so deeply and being with him brought me more joy than I ever imagined.
"Christine?" Paul asked.
"Yeah." I whispered.
"I think we should tell Joe."
I looked up at Paul when he said that. "Really?"
"Yes, I love you and you love me. Joe messed up when he ruined your wedding day and I can't let you be in a relationship where I know you won't be happy. I want to make you happy, for the rest of our lives. It's the only thing that makes sense in my life." Paul said as he kissed my hands.
"I love you so much." I said as I kissed him. "We'll do it together."
We fell asleep after our conversation and it was the first night I had slept soundly in a long time.

POV Sunshine

The next morning I woke up early and Sam, Daniel, and Ryan were still asleep. I looked at Ryan and smiled softly. I had fallen for him but my feelings for Zach lingered and never went away. When I saw him at the wedding I felt like my heart would burst. I went down to the lobby after getting dressed and couldn't believe my eyes when I looked up. It was Zach. A look of shock on his face and mine. We walked in each other's direction slowly.
"Sunshine?" Zach asked looking at me.
"Hi..." I said softly.
"What are you? How are you?"
"I left after high school and came to New York."
"Why didn't you tell me? You just left me without warning, without an explanation."
"I'm sorry but I had my reasons."
"Don't you think I deserved to know. I was madly in love with you." Zach said as my phone buzzed. It was text from Ryan saying Samantha and Daniel were coming down to meet me. Shit. The elevator opened and they ran towards me.
"Mommy!" Daniel said as he hugged me. I saw the expression on Zach's face when he saw him. The resemblance was hard to miss. I could see tears forming in his eyes. Daniel looked up at Zach and could tell that they looked alike.
"You look like me mister." Daniel said. I took a deep breath.
"Daniel, this man is your father." I said as Zach looked at me in tears.
"How old is he?"
"Ten."
"That's when you left me, was it because you were pregnant?" Zach asked. I nodded sadly as Zach knelt down to Daniel.
"Dad?"
"I'm your dad buddy, you are so grown up." Zach said smiling at his son and then hugging him tightly. After they hugged, Emily arrived to pick up Sam and I asked her if she could take Daniel for a few hours and she agreed. Zach and I walked to a coffee shop to talk.
"Ten years? How could you not tell me I had a son for ten years?" Zach asked.
"I loved you and I was afraid to lose you and if people found out you could have gone to jail, I thought I was doing the right thing back then." I said.
"I thought you left because you hated me or I did something wrong." Zach said.
"You were amazing, and I'm so sorry for doing this, I understand it if you hate me." I said softly.
"I don't hate you but this hurts. I could have been a part of my sons life and I didn't get the chance." Zach looked down.
"I'm so sorry." We sat in silence for a couple moments until he said something.
"Wait, is Ryan your boyfriend? You were around him a lot yesterday." Zach asked.
"We've been dating for a few years now but him always being on the road, it hasn't exactly been working out and I still have feelings for you if I'm being honest."
"I'm with someone, have been for about nine years."
"Oh." I said as I felt my heart break. Nine years must have meant it was very serious. I wanted to get up and run away but my legs felt like jello and I felt sick to my stomach. Not from anything I ate but from the pain I felt deep in my heart.
"I'm happy for you." I said not being able to look at him.
The rest of the time we talked about Daniel and how he was raised. We talked about his accomplishments and about a plan so that Zach could be a part of his life. It was going to be hard to see him with another woman but it was a hard truth I would eventually have to come to accept. It was hard to look at him while we talked, it was breaking my heart but I knew I had to be strong for myself and especially for my son. If Zach and I were meant to be we'll end up together and if not, fate will have a path that's destined for me.