Chapter Twenty

POV Christine

Sophie had come over to my house one morning and we made our way to Paul's house. I wanted to see Joe and she wanted to see Steven. I knocked on the door when we got there Paul opened the door. Immediately, I could tell something was off and it concerned me. 
"Hey Christine, Sophie. Steven is in the kitchen if you want to see him." Paul said. Sophie walked into the house and found Steven. 
"Everything okay?" I asked.
"We should talk, come in." 
"What's wrong Paul?" My instincts were right. Something was wrong and it worried me. 
Paul looked down at me as he closed the door and then took my hand. "It's about Joe."
My heart started to pound and I immediately reacted. "Is he alright?"
"Joe is fine but the prison that his mother is in had a riot and he needed to go and see if she was alright. He made me promise I would give you this." Paul said as he passed me a letter. 
"Why wouldn't he tell me?"
"I'm not sure, but just know that he loves you very much." 
"Why are you making it sound like he isn't coming back?"
"He said he didn't know when he will be back and that it's likely going to be a long trip." Paul said looking at me. I felt him embraced me and all I could do was hug him back. Tears started staining my cheeks as they streamed down my cheek. Paul cupped my cheeks and wiped my tears. 
"He'll be back as soon as he can." 
I nodded softly. "Let's go get some dinner, my treat." Paul said as he took my hand and we walked out the door. 

Paul took me to his favorite diner and did everything in his power to keep me smiling. It was hard not to smile when in his presence. There wasn't a moment where his eyes weren't on me and it made me blush many times through the night. If Joe wasn't involved there was no doubt in my mind that I would be Paul's. I knew deep in my heart that I would always love Paul and want him, but we both made mistake and are paying the prices for those mistakes. Paul ordered me whatever I wanted and we ended up ordering a couple things that we agreed to share. After dinner, we walked around the park until we reached my home. I looked at Paul and wrapped my arms around him, hugging him tightly. Paul's strong arms wrapped around my small, thin body and I closed my eyes. It had been so long since I had been in his arms like this. I almost blurted out that I loved him but I contained myself. 
"Parents gone again?" he asked.
I nodded as I looked at him. "I'm used to it by now."
"I'll see you tomorrow." 
"Thank you for tonight, I really appreciate it." 
"You know I would do anything for you Christine." 
I looked up at him and our eyes met. Paul lowered his forehead and rested it against mine. We both closed our eyes and opened them to look at each other. Our lips got closer and closer by the second. I could feel his breath on my lips. I sighed softly. We both knew we couldn't do this. Especially not with what just happened to Joe's mother. I opened my eyes and looked up into his soft blue eyes. I placed my hand on his cheek but didn't move away. 
"I love you." I whispered. 
"I love you too Christine, so much, and I always will. I don't care how long it takes, I will wait forever if I have to." Paul said. I bit my lip and closed my eyes to stop from crying. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him close again. I never wanted to let go nor did I ever want him to let me go. Eventually, we did and I went inside. 

Once I was ready for bed I pulled out the letter and opened it. I took a deep breath and then proceeded to read it's contents. 
Christy, 
First and foremost I want to apologize for leaving so abruptly. I needed to know if my mother was okay. It's not something I can just let go and even if my first encounter with her wasn't so pleasant she's still my mother. 
I love you so much and even though I don't know when I'll be back I promise I'll be back as soon as I can. I want you to promise that you'll keep the boys in check cause God knows what they'll be up to in my absence. I wanted to let you know that you are the most amazing thing in my life and I am so grateful for the happiness you've granted me. I feel so lucky to be yours. I promise you that this will all get better soon. 
Pray for me and for the healing I'm going to possibly need upon discovering what has happened in this whole "riot" business. I'm going to miss you so much while I'm gone but I'll be thinking about you the whole time. You give me peace of mind. Take care of Paul and I made him promise to be there for you in my absence. He cares about you deeply. I love you Christine, I'll see you soon.
All my love,
Joe