Chapter Ten

POV Steven 

The minute I stepped foot into the club with everyone my blood starting pumping. Tonight had to be perfect. We were all pretty nervous but no one was more nervous than David. 
"Hey man, it's gonna be fine, you got this." I said to reassure him. David nodded and took deep breaths. 
Within minutes we got on the stage during the blackout and when the lights came on we started our first song. After a couple of songs Christine and Emily came out to perform Christine's original. Something was off about it. The singing and our playing was good but the energy felt different for some reason. 
The show was a hit and after everything I brought Sophie to the backstage area. 
"Baby you were amazing, they loved you!" Sophie said as she hugged me tightly. I hugged her back and as I hugged her I opened my eyes and say Paul looking at himself in the mirror with tears in his eyes. 
"Baby, I'll be right back." I said as I kissed her cheek and walked towards Paul. 
"Paul? What's wrong man?" I asked putting a hand on his back. 
"I've lost her for good." Paul said as he looked at Christine who was with Joe. 
"What happened?" I asked as we walking i to the dressing room and closed the door. 
"On Friendsgiving...we slept together...I'm not proud of it especially knowing she's been seeing Joe but I couldn't help it...I love her so much." Paul said in between sobs. I hugged Paul tightly. I've never seen him so heartbroken. I stayed with him for a while and talked to him until he finally started pulling himself together. We left the dressing room and I went back over to Sophie. Through the corner of eye I saw David speaking to his father and his father and him shook hands and then David smiling hugging his dad. I knew he had nothing to worry about, that boy is a damn good guitar played. A few minutes later Christine stepped on stage and did something made everyone tear up. 

POV Paul

Christine walked onto the stage and sat by the piano. 
"I wasn't going to do this but I wrote a song wanted to play it." Christine said as she started playing. Christine looked at me before saying "This one's called "I'll Never Love Again". The sadness in her eyes matched how I felt. We both cried in the time that she played. Right before the end of her song I walked out of the club. I screamed as I kicked over a trash can and punched a light pole. Instead of walking back inside I just walked home. I got in my bed and closed my eyes so I could just fall asleep and escape reality for a little while. 

I didn't wake up again until the next morning.  I woke up and all I could think about was Christine. Why did we always have to suffer? I was tired of it. I got dressed and walked out the door. I walked over to Janet's house which wasn't too far from mine. When I got there I called Janet and told her to come outside. When she came outside I looked at her. 
"I need to know Janet right now, is this baby even mine?!" I yelled. 
"I've told you the answer to that question already Paul." 
"Just fucking tell me, I know you were sleeping with your ex at the same time." 
"That was one damn time!"
"Did you use protection with him?" 
"No, but you know damn well that we didn't use protection either." Janet said.
"I don't get why you sprung all this up on me when I finally met someone that I thought I could be happy with." 
"It's Christine, I know it is, everyone knows but let me remind you I'm the one who's pregnant with your child, not her." 
"We don't even know if it's mine, not even you!" I yelled getting angrier by the second. 
"I'm pretty sure it's yours." 
"I already told you, I'd give the child my name, and I'd support him and take care of him but as far as we are concerned there's not relationship, I don't love you." I said as I calmed down.
"You know it will never work out for you and Christine." 
"Don't even go there with me Janet." 
"I'm being truthful Paul. Christine and Joe have finally made their relationship official and you and her both refuse to hurt him, you both are in two completely different planes now. Do you honestly think you'll ever see her again after graduation? Probably not."
"You think that makes you the decider of who's in my life or not? What you did was so wrong?"
"I think that I don't like her and that I don't want her near you ever again, you're lucky I have done anything to hurt her pretty little face, you're mine and that's final." 
"You really are crazy, I'm not yours and I never was, we were never in an official relationship and we never will be. Oh, and if you do anything to hurt Christine I will never forgive you." I said clenched my jaw. The thought of her doing something to hurt Christine made my blood boil and I wasn't going to take a risk when it came to someone hurting Christine especially Janet. There was no doubt in my mind that Christine would fight back but I wouldn't let Janet do anything to hurt her. 
"I love you!" 
"Janet I don't love you, I don't know how many more times I can say it for you to understand!"
"You barely know her." 
"You don't know a thing about me and Christine." I said as I walked away unsatisfied with no new information about the paternity of the baby.