Chapter Twelve

POV Paul 

It was eventually time to go back to school and the months had seemed to drag on until summer. We had some Friday and Saturday gigs and our popularity in the local scene seemed to grow. One Thursday after noon I was in the den sitting by the piano until Joe walked in.
"Hey, why are you in such a rush?" I asked as Joe scurried in. 
"I need a pen now!" Joe said as I tossed him one and he immediately wrote something down. 
"New song for us?"
"Yeah and it's damn good." 
"Seems like it with the way you're acting." 
"I don't want to forget the words."
"I'm quite surprised at how popular we've become." 
"That first gig at David's dad club put us on the map."
"You're right about that." 
"We have to keep at it, can you imagine if a talent scout happens to be at one of our shows?" 
"Our careers would really take off if that happens." 
"Here take a look." Joe said as he passed me the sheet music of his new song. 

A couple minutes Steven and David came in for practice and Joe showed them his new song. Including Joe's new song we had six original pieces and that number would only grow in the months to come. 
"I have some good news." David said. 
"Let's hear it." I said. 
"You ever heard of the Serpent Cove?" 
"Isn't that the club with talent scouts and paid gigs?" Joe asked.
"Yeah, and I just landed us an audition there." David said as we all looked at each other excitedly. 
"The audition is next Friday so we'll have plenty of time to clean our pieces and get them to near perfection. 

The rest of the week was spent in practice and working on our pieces. We practiced every single night and got dressed in our best attire on Friday. We got to the Serpent Cove and got on stage to audition for the booking manager. As we played two of our original pieces I could tell by the look on his face that he was throughly impressed. 
"You guys are amazing and at such a young age. Your music takes me back to when I was a teenager attending rock concerts of some of the greatest bands out there but I need to ask, what makes you different from all the other bands that come in here?" 
I was nervous, I didn't except that from the guy. I walked over towards him and placed the microphone on the stand. 
"What exactly do you mean by that Mr. Washington?" 
"I've seen many groups like you, bands with up to eight guys that come looking for an opportunity so I need to know what makes you stand out."
I was getting bit frustrated and didn't know what more to say. 
"We are different and probably better, than you've ever seen, we've been the fastest growing rock band in this town since 1970 and I know that I've done my research." 
"I'm not doubting your talents but I'm all booked out but I can be swayed." 
"Come on man it's only March, just find a spot for us, we'll prove to you that we can fill this place up."
"Give me a reason." 
Joe put his bass down and walked over next to me.
"We have two girls that sometimes sing with us, if you let us play and we bring them I guarantee you this place will be filled like never before." Joe said.
The manager raised an eyebrow and smirked, "Fine, tomorrow night all of you including the girls." 

On Saturday we arrived at the club and started unloading our equipment with the help of Christine and Emily. As we unloaded I noticed a familiar face sitting at the bar watching us curiously. It looked like Coach Taylor who was the coach of the football team at school. Coach Taylor was in his mid-twenties and was very energetic. I studied him until I heard arguments behind me and got back to helping unload. After everything was unloaded I walked over to Christine nervously. 
"Hey, you nervous?" I asked.
"Extremely." Christine responded as her face turned red. 
"Don't be, you're with us and we have all the faith in the world in you." 
"You do?" 
"Of course, we do especially me."
"Thank you." Christine said blushing. A long silence hung between them. 
"You're gonna be amazing up there." I said softly. 
Christine smiled softly and then looked down. 
"I love you." I whisper as I walked toward the keyboard. 

Within thirty minutes of the performance the club was already packed and was awaiting for our performance. The dance floor was packed with sweaty bodies and the scent of beer. I have heard about major gigs in the place but nothing came close to just how packed it was tonight. The manager came up to us and nodded his head. 
"You were right, I've never seen this place so packed before in my life, give the people an unforgettable performance." The manager said as he gave us a six hundred dollar check. I gave it to Christine for her to put someplace safe until after the gig when we would split it evenly. Right before the performance I glanced backstage and saw Joe and Christine as he picked her up and kissed her as she smiled at him. I clenched my fists along with my jaw and looked away. It was still one of the most painful things to ever happen to me. I tried to focus all of my energy and thoughts into our performance so that we've get asked to come back to perform her many more times. The stage and houselights went black as we all made our way to the stage. Steven sat at his drums, David and Joe picked up their guitars, I sat by the keyboard, and Emily and Christine grabbed the microphones. Before the lights went up I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before the blinding stage lights turned on revealing all of us as cheers filled the club.