Chapter 11 The Unwritten Future

Evelyn's POV

Present

"I remember a "Ball Night" but are we even talking about the same ball?" I asked after a moment of silence. There was still a chance that we were talking about whole different things, hopefully.

"The Masquerade in London. We danced. You were wearing a blue dress and a silver mask, right?" He asked as if he was pleading that I would say yes to him. How did he even find me?

"Well, I was in a Masquerade in London, but I am sure that place was full of masked, double meaning, people and obviously there were lots of women who were wearing blue dresses." I answered. Still hoping my real identity was unknown to him.

"What about I say, I saved you from an accident that night? If I wasn't there, your dress would be ruined and your night would end, right? Is this more specific for you?" He said with a smirk but also I could sense his hesitation.

Nothing is a fact until I say so, monsieur.

Was it William? From the beginning? How could I miss this fact? The man I waltzed that night, just before the clock ticked midnight, among all those men, why did it have to be him?

I should have a talk with Adele after this. She was the one who insisted to join the lot in the first place. I couldn't let this one night shatter my whole plan, I've been waiting for 8 years.

If we came across than there is no need to postpone anything.

William, you are gonna wish you've never met me, never approached me at that night. I will hunt you like a past ghost.

"Yes, that was me but does it make any difference? It was a one little dance, actually I even forgot it. Geez, it was more than a year ago. Anyway you are already here and I assume this talk is over why don't you eat or drink something so I can go back to work, you see this place is a bit crowded today." I said emotionlessly, preventing the evil smile. He seemed a bit hurt but soon he blinked everything away to wear his mask again.

"No, I'm not done talking yet and I know they can handle without you for a couple of minutes more. And do you even know who I am?" he continued, this time he was cold too. Oblivious that I know about him more than he could imagine, he asked me. Let's play this game according to his rules just for now.

" Well, I don't know who you are but I know who you are not. Besides do I look like I care?" I said with a look as if saying oh Will, I'm tougher than you think, don't play with me but I know you will, so if you want to stay in one piece then back off.

"Not caring is your choice, but you will,eventually, because I do." He said now leaning on the table staring coldly like he is threatening me. Good, your real personality is showing, 8 years and nothing different happened.

"I assume you are not from the rich society that's why the masquerade was the first time I had seen you and couldn't find anything much about you." He continued, I knew that being oblivious to something would always make him furious.

"Well, you figured it out at last, Mr. Mccartney. Apparently I overestimated your mind. You are not as clever as I thought you would be." I said. I knew how to make him angry. Twice in a row. First not calling him in his first name and now calling him stupid. Hard times are waiting for you sweetheart...

"And you apparently are not as innocent as I thought you are. Well, you think yourself smater than me but you shouldn't mess with powerful people ma belle." He answered this time. If he knew what I was up to he wouldn't dare.

"Sorry, not sorry. Je devrais." I left him alone in the table with a  smile full of contempt.That caught him off guard. My back was facing him but I could feel him staring at me with clenched fists. I walked away.