Chapter 15 Spell of Champs Élysées

Evelyn's POV

...

I look at him one last time before the door of the O.R. closes.

I can't forget what happened at last 3 months. Wasn't this all I wanted since the beginning?  Is death too much or not enough?

His eyes... They were blood red before closing. Begging, regretfulness, sadness all at once. 

Now he has experienced the exact same thing I had 8 years ago, he knows the desperation of being at the edge of death. Maybe even worse.

He is unconscious and in pain in what was supposed to be one of the best day of his life, me too in different ways. Waiting for him in my blood soaked gown, my eyes puffy from the tears I have shed. My voice now breathy from sobbing too much. What is the meaning of all of these?

Slowly I approached the seat near and sat down still shivering.

Karma helped me for once, but why do I feel like it didn't,  like what happened was unfair? It must be because it happened without my will, right? 

There is no other explanation, is there?

***

2 months ago from the accident

External POV

It was Adele's birthday the next day and Claire still didn't have anything planned. How could she forget?

'There is too much going on in my head these days.' she thought. Fortunately the next day was Saturday so she could plan some good stuff for her.

How ironic, Adele's birthday was the anniversary of her so called death. The 23rd of November. 'Does anyone even remember it?' she thought. Her fake aunt and cousins?  William?  Apparently not, hell would freeze if he did or even cared.

She felt always bittersweet in Adele's birthday but did everything to supress her feelings,  Adele, of course, noticed but Claire always managed to find some excuses. For the first time this year she  decided to throw everything away. If nobody cares then why should she?

She got up from the bed and prepared to go to the café.  She was there in fifteen minutes. At least the day started well, she thought. All day was the same as others, serving customers, reading, cooking and planning a good night for Adele. They were always celebrating her birthday in the café or at home because of Claire. This year she thought something better.

The next day everything was planned well. She hoped Adele would be happy. The café was closed on Saturdays, so they would have all day for having fun. Claire knocked Adele's door around twelve.

"Claire? Hey, come in. What are you doing here?" Adele yawned, she was totally a mess, just woke up. She had the habit of getting up very late on weekends.

"Adele, really? Even today?  Go take a shower and become a decent human being, we are going shopping!" Claire said cheerfully.

"Shopping?  Ok, but it isn't our shopping day?" They would go shopping on Sundays in every two weeks. And apparently Adele's body was awake but her soul still in dreamland. Who forgets their own birthday?

"I thought we can make some exceptions today, since it's special. And we are living in Paris, for God's sake! We live in a city which is the heart of shopping! Let's go, we both know how you love having a shopping spree! And I need to clear my mind too." Claire insisted.

After 15 minutes Adele was ready to go out either. So the fun begins!

Shopping in Champs Élysées was fun like always. Who wouldn't love it? All they would look for was there.