Prologue

Evelyn's POV

The weather is terrible. I don't even know how much time I have left.

But the uneasiness in my guts tell me that my ending is close.

I can't stop thinking about all those people, they always betray me...

Not "they" actually, "him".

But now I have problems bigger than that.. My arm really hurts , I have scratches all over my body and I'm freezing.

Why?

Because I'm in a damn world of enormous trees.

Unfortunately the forest in our town is not that beautiful especially when there is a storm. I can't see anything. It's raining heavily, like the cursed day.

I will die here and nobody will be able to find me.

Great! There is no way to stay alive with these wounds, in this thunderstorm. Unless I find a place to hide for a while or someone to help me, which seems impossible.

Well at least I got my first kiss. But it was just a part of the game.

Wait I shouldn't be thinking about this right now.

Maybe, I am going mad.

All of a sudden I spot a thin ray of light among the endless raindrops that burn my wounds like acid.

Well, it's also possible that I am dreaming because of desperation. Maybe I will just wake up and everything will be alright like they've always been.

Or maybe they won't and this is the infamous " light at the end of the tunnel?"

After a few painful steps, I can finally see that the light is coming from a little cottage. Now, this is what I call a miracle.

If there is a house with lights switched on, there must be someone inside either.

I should reach there no matter what. I shouldn't give up.

"Oh, these wounds are not helping at all", I clench my teeth with the striking pain on my knee.

After a while which felt like forever, I reach the house. I try knock the door with my less injured left hand.

" Is..anyone...there?" I ask, panting heavily, praying non-stop for help.

A woman slowly opens the door. She is middle height and probably in her fifties. She seems surprised and worried.

"Oh my God, child, what are you doing outside? What happened to you? Come in or you will die out there!!" she holds my hand and accompanies me to the bathroom.

The luck is on my side, at last.

Warm and soothing atmosphere in the house hugs me with every step I take. The scent of chocolate cookies in the kitchen fills my nostrils.

"You can use here. And then come to that room", she points to the kitchen. She gives me some clothes to wear. Which are over size for me but it doesn't matter. After a good shower I finally feel relieved. The woman helps me with my wounds. Fortunately my arm isn't broken. And the scratches don't bleed anymore. After I come to my senses, the woman offers me some cookies.

Oh I'm starving. When was the last time I've eaten? I can't even remember.

"I'm Ruby" she introduces herself. I introduce myself too. After a small talk, I start to like her, she seems really worried about me and she doesn't seem to be a bad person.

At least I hope she is not a bad person.

At one point, she insists, so I decide to tell her my story for her to understand why I'm here, but she needs to listen all of it.

We take the tea she makes and go to the sofa in front of the wooden framed window . It's still raining heavily. The thunder echoes like it is trying to wipe us away. Thousands of raindrops fall on the window every second. I take a deep breath and begin to tell my story .

"Well everything started on that cursed day, 17th of July"...

*************

Author's note : Thank you so much for giving a chance and reading this story. I hope you will like it:)
Also keep this in mind, English is not my main language, so I am sorry for the grammar mistakes. If you see one just ignore it :)

Please comment and vote ☆ ☆ XOXO:)

**Edit(August 2nd, 2018)
I am currently writing a story called The Substitute Cinderella. And I try to upload chapters as much as I can. It already has 12 chapters. I would appreciate if you checked it out:)