Chapter 21 Unexpected

William's POV

There she goes. The moment she got out of the elevator our eyes locked to each other. I haven't seen her for only a day, but now when I saw her in front of me that one day felt like hundred years. She was definitely beautiful. Her ginger hair and her chocolate eyes fit perfectly for her, but beside as if trying to say 'Stay away, before you burn until the point of no return.'

I wonder if she would look at me with the same coldness if she knew I would gladly burn to see her one more time, to give her the happiness that she couldn't even imagine.

Both of us were silent but our souls were connecting. She hesitated for a moment before she approached. Our conversation was usual, except one thing. This time because we were closer, I could see the difference in her deep eyes. I could see how she tried hard to hide her beating heart. I could feel the conflicts she had with herself.

Did she think the same way with me? Even though for a short moment... Maybe she was angry. I watched how she blushed, when I asked if she was sad because I left after kissing her, but she didn't give up. I don't think she ever will. Still I hope one day she will stop looking at me like she hates me. After all she was a woman, in the end I was going to wipe away all the hatred and sadness from those enchanted eyes. No matter what.

We were talking and talking without knowing our souls were already lost in each other. So I took her hand without giving her the opportunity to refuse me. She was absolutely surprised. I noticed today was the first time she showed some emotion. She always wore a mask before like I did. She was still trying to hide her inner world but feelings cannot be supressed forever. They find a way to set themselves free eventually.

I asked her about the hotel to soften the atmosphere a bit, although all I could see was her. She could put a spell on any man instantly with this beauty. Of course she can't as long as I am here.. Now I was jealous over nothing? I was definitely going mad.

I was surprised when she actually answered my questions. The way she described everything with such honesty caused me to want her more. I would kiss her sweet lips again right here right now, deeper than before, I would even go further... And this time I would make sure she would never forget.

Things became serious again after we had received our orders. And her reaction when I gave her the news was priceless. She should have known nobody could play with me. In the end she fell silent for a while. But when she didn't answer I had no choice.

"You don't want your secrets to come out, right, ma belle?" Maybe I should have been more patient. But I couldn't risk her saying no to me. For some reason these words affected her more than I intended to. Her soft eyes grew even colder than we first met. I thought our masks were fading but I couldn't be more wrong.

I knew the invisible wall behind us had become stronger then ever, after I heard how cold her voice was when she accepted my offer.

External POV

Evening came sooner than before. After William "threathened" Claire at lunch they both remained silent. The atmosphere caused by the lack of words was enough to freeze them more than literally being in the North Pole.

The coldness in the soul can hurt million times more than freezeing physically. And this time Claire was decided. She would not be the one with the broken dreams and the shattered heart after all. She would make William live the burning hell.

But she missed the most important piece in the game puzzle. The ice that will burn William was already melting. No matter how much she denied...

The evening with William's grandmother was more normal than Claire could imagine except spending the whole time in hospital. The lady she talked was nothing like a ruthless and egoist rich woman. She was modest and looked with motherly compassion. And she was unusually similar to someone she knew in past. The details in her green eyes, the shape of her little lips were too similar to be coincidental. Claire tried to ignore her instincts. She thought she was overthinking again.