Chapter 6

Deanna.

"Mummy".

What?!

Yumakap agad si Jema sa batang babae.  Habang napatingin si Manang sa akin na parang nagtataka bakit magkasama kaming dalawa.

May baby na nga si Jema.  Baby,  as in anak. 

Mali na naman yung akala ko sa baby nya.  So, does it mean that she's already married?  

But I didn't see any wedding ring sa kamay nya kanina.  Yun ang una kong tinignan eh.

Wow, that was a hell of a surprise.

Nalungkot akong bigla.  Kanina ang saya saya tapos ngayon iba na naman.

Three years was really a very long time.  A lot obviously has happened and changed between us.

Ano nga ba ang mga nangyari?

===============================

Flashback.

"Anak, why don't you go home and have some rest muna.  Kami naman ang magbabantay dito kay Elaine." my mom said.

"Yes, Deanna. We won't leave her side so you don't have to worry that she'll gonna be alone here." Elaine's mom added.

We are currently in the hospital where Elaine is confined for the last 2 days.  I'm holding her hand and whispers "I love you" to her.  I know she can hear me.

Almost 9 months na since bumalik ako ng US with her and mom.   We were able to convince her to undergo chemotherapy, blood transfusion and stem cell transplant.  No expenses were spared.  Lahat ay ginawa ng parents nya para gumaling sya.

The 6 months to live verdict that the doctor gave her, was extended.

But right now, her condition has worsen.  The doctor already advised us that Elaine's life is soon to end anytime now.  They have done everything they could pero may hangganan talaga ang lahat. 

It's her fate.  We just have to prepare ourselves.  Am I really prepared na mawala sya?

The answer is a big, NO!

That's why I don't want to leave her side.  Ayaw kong umalis baka wala na sya pagbalik ko.

Pero napilitan na rin akong umalis muna dahil I need to shower, change my clothes na rin and grab something to eat.  Ayaw na ayaw kasi ni Elaine na nalilipasan ako ng gutom.  Isa yan sa nagustuhan ko sa kanya, yung pagiging maaalahanin. 

Kahit man lang yun ang magawa ko na ikatutuwa nya sigurado dahil para sa kanya ito.

Pakatapos kong kumain at magbihis  bumalik ako agad ng hospital but I panicked when I saw the doctors inside the room.  They were checking the apparatus connected to her.

I looked at her, she's breathing heavily and gasping at the same time, like she's running out of air.

Niyakap akong bigla ni mom.  She's crying, as well as Elaine's mom.

This is it.  The time has come.  Even if I wanted to hold Elaine's hand and hug her, hindi na pwede. 

"We are very sorry for your loss." one of  the doctors said to Elaine's mom then they left.

I started to cry.  I wanted to shout and curse or do something, just to ease the pain and loneliness I felt.

Pero tumingin na lang ako sa mukha nya.  I want to memorize every details of her face.  She looks at peace now,  with no trace of pain.