Chapter 38: Meeting Together

Hakuryuu's POV

I ran to a narrow part of the city. It'll be difficult for the gargantuan to chase me now. I slowed down to catch my breath, my legs were awfully exhausted from running too long. The infected were catching up to me.

Wiping the sweat off my forehead, I dashed to hide from the infected. I ran behind a broken wall and pressed my body to hide myself completely. The growls amplified, they are here. I kept my mouth shut and my body frozen. Peeking my head a bit, I watched as the infected runners sniffed the air. They use this kind of technique to sense their prey.

Accidentally, my foot had slid off and I happened to step on a squashed bottle. It produced a crack, much to my dismay.

"Oh cr*p," I said and peeked again. The infected had heard the noise but they didn't know where it was. I sighed in relief. But I can't relax just yet.

A house had been smashed off in a flash. It collapsed and rubble rained down. I couldn't move, fear had set into me. Turning my head slowly, the gigantic infected stomped in. Its large foot had set small cracks on the ground.

'I'm dead...' I stayed silent and shrunk even more. I could hear their growling and their footsteps. I only have a minimal time to escape from them and my chances of surviving is getting slim. I heard another loud smash and more debris flew to random directions. The infected was wrecking more structures.

I can escape if I can just get the right timing.

Due to my deep thinking, an infected had spotted me from my hiding spot. It gave a loud to growl to alarm its other fellow infected. I quickly shot down the infected and ran for my life. I was losing a bit of my balance because the ground was shaking. I turned to a darker alley and jumped unto several objects. The lack of light made it harder for me to run.

Finally, I had caught sight of a light. I stumbled upon the same spot where Kougyoku, Judar and I had stopped. I was just going in circles!

I was about to run again when my body met a strong blow. For a moment, I went completely numb. It's like I just got hit by a wrecking ball. Turns out, it was the gargantuan. My back had hit the solid wall and I was overwhelmed with pain. This is it, in the end I'll die without even seeing my sister again.

I fell down the ground, paralysed. Every part of my body felt like it's been struck by lightning. Before my consiousness could fully drift away, I heard loud gunfire and an explosion.

Kougyoku's POV

I felt really guilty for leaving Hakuryuu behind.

Me and Judar both don't know where we were going. We felt lost without a leader. I stopped running and looked at the direction where we left Hakuryuu.

'I should've done something...'

"What's wrong now?" Judar questioned, irritation visible in his voice.

"We have to go back to Hakuryuu!" I cried. I tried to run back to where we got separated but a hand had gripped my wrist.

"No Kougyoku, you're just gonna let yourself be killed!" he shouted. A tear rolled down to my cheek, I balled my hands into fists.

"Well what do you expect me to do?! Just keep running while Hakuryuu gets killed by those infected?" I foribly got rid of Judar's hand off my wrist.

"Then go and feed yourself to those infected! Go and be the heroine, but don't you dare say that didn't I warn you!" he spat out. His words plunged deeply into my heart. I felt, hurt, sad and somewhat guilty. More tears rolled down to my cheeks, I didn't respond to him anymore. I'll just make this argument worse.