Chapter Twenty-Nine

After Carl fell asleep, I found myself leaving his room and going downstairs on the couch. I don't know why. I haven't stepped foot into Maggie and Glenn's house since the incident. I hugged my knees staring at the wall of the living room, like I usually did at night.

I remember when I wasn't an emotional wreck. I remember shutting myself off from there. I stole from people without a care in the world. Hell I probably would've killed a person without a care if I didn't run with Rick that day.

The floor boards creaked above me. I got up, walking to the bottom of the stairs, at the time Carl stood, yawning. "Tess?" "Sorry, I was thirsty." I walked up the stairs quietly, "I didn't mean to wake you." He hugged me, "It's fine, I was awake." He lied. We walked back to Carl's room. The mattress making a sound as we both got on it. As we laid underneath the covers, legs tangled together.

He kissed the top of my forehead, his bandage was off, I just noticed. I listened to the sound of his heart beating. I traced tiny shapes on his chest. "That tickles." He whispered, laughing a tiny bit. "Doesn't that suck?" I said, continuing to trace the shapes. He chuckled. "You should get some sleep."

"I'll be fine for a few more minutes." I said. "Dad and Michonne still gone?" He asked. "Yeah." "I have a few ways you can be tired." I picked my head up, looking at him, "Right." "Hey, I do!" He said. "Like what, hm?" I asked. "Chess, what were you thinking." He joked. "I hate you." I jokingly stated, putting my head back down. "No you don't." "You're right."

I turned myself so my back was facing him, he held me close. I felt myself slowly falling asleep. Soft snores escaping Carl's lips. Sleep consumed me.

***

I'm awakened by the front door slamming shut. Rick and Michonne shushing each other and laughing could be heard. Carl groaned. I yawned. Carl's bedroom door, opened slightly. "Tess, Carl." Rick whispered. I sat up, "Hm?" "We hit the jackpot." I raised an eyebrow.

"Guns, Food, Supplies." He smiled. I shot up, "Really?" He nodded. "Carl get up!" I shook him, "Is it time?" I asked Rick. "Not quite, we need more guns. More of a plan." I nodded. "What are you two doing though?" Rick asked.

Carl groaned again, "I just wanna sleep."

"I must've fell asleep reading comics." I lied. "Sorry, Rick." He nodded, leaving the door wide opened. Carl laughed, quietly. "Shut up." I threw the covers off of me. Letting my feet hit the floor. I stood up, stretching. Walking out of the bedroom, shutting the door behind me. I put on my worn out sneakers. Letting the front door close behind me.

My feet pulling me towards my house. I gulped. Walking through the front door, going straight up to my room. I opened my closet door, taking a bag from it, stuffing clothes into it. I traded out my sneakers for my combat boots. I changed clothes in the process of this. I walked out of the house, the door shutting behind me. I made my way back to the Grimes house. Rick and Michonne leaving once again. I brought my bag upstairs into Carl's room. His bathroom door shut, the shower running. His bed was unmade. I made his bed, grabbing a book from his bookshelf and I sat there, reading, waiting.

Carl walked out of the bathroom. I didn't look up, I was too engrossed into the book I was reading. "My dad and Michonne leave?" I nodded in response. His closet door opened and shut. "Gazebo with Judith today?" He asked. I smiled, looking up from my book, "Yeah, that seems nice." His bandage was off, "You need help?" I asked. "Please." I set the book down on the bed, sitting up grabbing the gauze and the wrap. After I was done I put his hat on his head. His lips pressed against my softly. I smiled.

I never knew that my life would change for the better because of him.