Chapter Thirty-One

A few weeks has passed since the Negan incident. The Saviors have been quiet, real quiet so, we've decided the smart thing to do would be to attack them while they're still weak.

I watched the front gate during my shift. The sun beaming down on my face, I didn't mind. The wind blowing softly creating a nice breeze. I took my sniper rifle, looking down the road cautiously. "Hey Tess." I heard from down below the post, "Yeah?" "Rick needs you for some type of mission today, meet him by your house." "Thanks Toby, you takin' over?" I asked him, "Yeah, Yeah." He said, climbing the ladder, I handed him the rifle, "Walkers are quiet today." He nodded, taking the rifle from my grip. I bolted down the ladder and to the house. Cars that have been shielded laid in-front of it. I sighed knowing that i'd be stuck watching Judith while everyone else goes into action.

I caught Rick's attention, he walked over, "Hey," "I already know, you want me to watch Judith." I said. "Sorry, It's just safer-" "This way, I know, I'm fine with that." I crossed my arm, "It's fine. I understand." Rick patted my shoulder, "Thank you." He said, walking back over to the cars. I walked into the house, kicking my shoes off, walking up the stairs. The clock on the wall read 8:54.

The sound of engines starting grabbed my attention. I listened as they sped away. They were gone. I slowly opened Judy's door to see her fast asleep still. I left her door open, walking into Carl's room, he was fast asleep also. I've been on guard since 4 in the morning. I stretched, cracking my back in the process. I sat down on the bed, staring at the wall. The bed dipped upwards a bit next to me. I turned around to see Carl sitting up slightly, he was supporting himself with his elbow. I smiled at him. "Mornin'." I said softly. "Morning." He yawned, his voice deep and husky. "You're dad, Michonne, the others, left today. They're preparing." He nodded, he pushed the covers off of himself. I admired him, my stomach knotting. "Take a picture it'll last longer." My face turned crimson, "Shut up." I said quietly. He got off the bed, sitting up. His bones cracking. A soft and gentle kiss was planted on my shoulder, "I love you." He whispered, his hand rested on my shoulder. "I love you." I said softly, placing my hand on his in the process. His hand left my shoulder as he got up from the bed walking towards the bathroom, it shut behind him. I layed down, my back facing the bathroom door.

The bathroom door creaked open. I heard Carl's feet pitter patter across the hardwood floor. He layed back down, next to me, staring. He was in his casual clothes. I placed my hand on his cheek, rubbing his cheek with my thumb. "I have to go out today." "Can I come with?" I asked. He nodded, "But who's gonna take care of Judy?" "The Millers'."

"Let's get going."

***

The van came to a halt, the brakes squeaked while the engine sputtered, turning off. I exited the van with him, going to the back, opening the doors. He grabbed the can and the siphoning tube, placing the Sheriff hat on his head.

We walked in sync, trying to find any car that could remotely have gas, I held my knife in my hand. We stayed quiet. I looked at the ground to see child's bicycles, rusted, the paint chipped. "Looked like a picnic was going on." He said. I nodded. We finally found a car that looked suitable. We walked over to it, "Hey." I heard another voice that sounded so foreign. Carl dropped the can very quickly, whipping around, pulling his pistol out of his holster. I did the same, pointing it. "Yeah. I-I'm okay. I mean, I'm not, but i've been shot at. Someone threw a microwave at me. So i-im just gonna say something my mom used to say and hope for the best here. "Whatever you have of good, spend on the traveler." My mom said that, that helping the traveler, the person without s home, that's everything." Carl began walking towards the voice, I followed, carefully. "I'm sure you've seen thing, been through things, that you don't trust people. I get it, I get it."

"Show yourself!" I said, gripping the pistol, finger on the trigger. He continued to ramble on. Carl quickly found the guy, "Hands up!" He said. The guy put his hands up, "Listen, Im gone. It's cool."

I found myself grabbing a granola bar out of my book bag. Carl looked at me, "What are you doing?" He asked. "The guy has no weapons, he has nothing. He looks like he's starving to death." I slowly began to walk up to him, holding the bar out. He took it from my grip, opening the granola bar and eating the whole thing. The man looked at me, "Thank you," He said softly. Carl watched intently. A gunshot could be heard in the sky. The guy took of running when he saw Rick. I looked at Rick. Carl walking up beside me, glaring at Rick, "We were supposed to meet at the intersection. Tess, you're supposed to be watching Judith."

"The Millers offered." I spoke quietly. Carl still glared at Rick, "What? I shot over his head. I just wanted him gone."

"He said that he was-" Rick cut him off, "I heard what he said, most of it. But he could've been on of them."

"Like a spy?" Rick dropped his gun in his holster. "I shot above his head. If he isn't one of them, I hope he makes it." Carl pushes passed Rick, walking away. I placed my gun in its holster, following Carl. Carl's boots scuffed the ground harshly. "It's not gonna be enough, Dad." "Enough what?" Rick asked. "Hope." Carl spat.

I held my head down low, Carl picked up the gas canister. I got in the passenger side of the van. Carl got in the drivers seat. We began driving, he pulled over to the side of the road after ten minutes. I looked at him, raising an eyebrow, "Why'd you stop?" I asked. He looked at me, He placed his hand on my face, his lips were molded perfectly with mine. He put his hand in his pocket taking a tiny ring out. I gazed down at the ring, "What's that?"

"A promise ring." He said. "A promise to you from myself." He placed it on my ring finger. I smiled widely, "A promise to only love you because Tessa Ann, I love you." Tears brimmed my eyes, I looked at the ring, then back to him. Kissing him, he kissed back, harder.

We were in the back of the van within seconds, my threw my shirt off of myself. He fumbled with the button on my jeans. His lips on mine again as he slid them off. He softly kissed my neck. I breathed out shakily.

As our lips connected once again, I felt my heart beating out of my chest. He took his shirt off quickly. I unbuttoned his pants, he slid them off. "I love you," He mumbled. "I love you." I whispered in his ear.

He placed gentle, lingering, kisses underneath my ear.

***

The van slowly pulled up to Alexandria, the gates slowly creaked open. Carl drove through the gates, parking the van in front of the house. He grinned, looking at me. I looked back at him, my smile low. We exited the van, going through the door. Rick sat in the couch, holding Judith. Michonne layed next to him fast asleep, "Where were you two?" He asked quietly. "Finding gas." Carl said. My cheeks turned crimson. "Well did you?"

"Half a gallon." Carl said. Rick nodded.

Michonne was awake at this point, she looked at us, "Left you a gift on your bedside table." She said.

Going up the stairs, I kicked my shoes off, placing them in the corner of my room. Carl's eyes averted to the bedside table. There layed a few newish comic books and a single condom on the top of the comic books. Carl's and my face turned a dark crimson color. "Oh gee." I said. We looked at each other, laughing. I put my hair up in a ponytail, walking over to my bag of clothes, I pulled out one of Carl's t-shirt and a pair of my shorts. Carl took his bandage off, throwing it away in the tiny waste bucket that was placed in the corner of the room. He planted a small kiss on my forehead before he went in his closet. I looked at the tiny ring that was placed on my finger, smiling as I played with it.

I went into the bathroom, shutting the door behind me. Turning on the shower faucet.

***

I watched at everyone left the gates of Alexandria. Gabriel nodded at me, "It's fine, you can go, I can watch." I nodded at him, "Thank you." I said placing the rifle on the wall. Judith was with the Millers again. I climbed down the ladder. Michonne and Carl were talking. "Oh yeah this is your show." Carl scoffed, "Okay, you'll see." Michonne nudged him on the arm.

Michonne then went up the ladder, watching as the final car left. Carl's hand intertwined with mine. I gave him a reassuring squeeze. His finger fiddled with the ring placed on my finger. A smile lingered on my lips.

"I love you." "I love you."