Chapter Thirty-Seven

The van came to a halt, the engine sputtered as Rick turned it off. "Um, I need a se- I need a second." Rick said. "It's fine." Michonne said. Rick grabbed the letters opening the van door and shutting it. I looked at Michonne. "Did you read yours?" She asked. I nodded, spinning my knife on the floorboard of the van. "It's so hard, Michonne." My voice cracked. "I thought I was going to spend the rest of my life with Carl." My voice shaked, "I thought we were gonna have a happily ever after." My hands trembled. "I can't do this. I can't do this without him." She hugged me, I cried into her shoulder. "I can't. I can't." I repeated over and over again. She shushed me.

"We're gonna make his dream come true." Michonne whispered. I nodded, sniffling as she let go of the hug, both of her hands on my shoulders, "I promise."

"You should rest." She said. I shook my head, "I can't." I whispered, "I'll rest once we're at Hill Top." She nodded, going back to the passenger seat of the van.

***
The gate of Hill Top creaked open. I walked through, my eyes adverted to the ground. I listened as the gates shut behind us. A pair of arms instantly wrapped around my figure. I didn't move or flinch. "I'm so sorry." Maggie whispered. I stayed completely still. I didn't hug her back. She let go of the embrace, looking at my face, both of her hands rested on my shoulders as she looked at me, wiping a blood smudge off of my face. "My bed is upstairs, you can use it." "I'm not tired." I said hoarsely. That was a complete lie, I was exhausted. Maggie's arms fell to her side, she sighed, nodding slowly. "Come here, sweetheart." I heard Rick say, Mrs. Miller handed him Judith.

I looked at everyone, they were staring at us. My throat feeling dry. My eyes adverted to the ground, once again. I walked towards the house, the door shutting behind me. I found myself on a small balcony, rereading the letter, looking at the polaroid of Carl and I. My eyes tearing up in the process. I sniffled. "I'm gonna make sure your dream comes real, Carl Grimes." I whispered, pressing a small kiss on the polaroid, I put it back into my bag.

I walked down the stairs, Carl's flannel hugged my body. Michonne nodded at me. "I need to clear Alexandria." I said softly, "I need our home to get cleared."

"I know Tess, it takes time." I shook my head, "No, I need to do this." "Tessa there are too many walkers there." "I need to make Carl's dream real, I need too." "Tessa, it's way to risky. Give it a few days, we'll send a team over there."

"I need to go now." I whispered, "No one else needs to go, that's putting too many people at risk." "What about you? What about your baby?" She questioned. I looked down, "He doesn't deserve to be there with those walkers." I argued back, "He doesn't-" My voice cracked, "H-He needs us."

Michonne was quiet for a bit, "I have to go with Maggie and Enid, please stay here." She pleaded, "Promise me. Promise Carl." She whispered. My heart pinged, I nodded slowly, "I promise."

Michonne left through the front door, it shut behind her.

I slowly found myself in a Gregory's office, examining the books, my eyes landing on a book called Peace. My hands grazing the spine of the book. I found myself rushing in the room Michonne and Rick were staying in, I rummaged through the night stands, looking for the letters.

I opened the top dresser door. An envelope

Negan

Sat on the top of the few other letters left. I swiftly took the letter. I went down the stairs, taking food and water from the kitchen. I rushed up the stairs, going to the balcony. I took a deep breath in, watching the sun set. "The Saviors are coming." Maggie said from the doorway. "Get ready to fight." I looked at her, "Carl didn't want this." I said, "He wanted us to live peacefully with each other. He wanted this war to end."