Chapter Thirty-Eight

I shrugged Carl's flannel back on. Walking over to the mirror, I put my hair up. I hid the book-bag underneath the bed.

I unlocked the bedroom door, instantly greeted by the sounds of car and people working. I walked down the stairs, my stomach churning. I looked around to find a vase, quickly grabbing it and putting it up to my mouth as I threw up. After I was done, I wiped my mouth, putting the vase back. I walked out of the doors.

The light hitting my eyes, I breathed in deeply and exhaled slowly. I heard the walkers growling outside of the walls, banging against the wall. "You're wearing his flannel." I heard a voice from behind me, my whole body turned around,Rick, "Yeah." I whispered, "I just- I don't know."  "You sleep okay?" He asked, I nodded, lying, "Yeah." He nodded, "Good." He said, walking away, towards Maggie.

My feet carried me to the infirmary, I opened the door. Siddiq looked at me, "You hurt?" He asked, his voice panicky like. I shook my head, "I uh, need prenatal vitamins." I whispered, Carol looked at me. Siddiq nodded, he went over to the cabinet, I listened to the pill bottles clatter together. He grabbed a bottle, handing it to me, "I only need a few." I said. "Trust me, we can spare a bottle." "Maggie and-" "Trust me, Tess." He pushed the bottle in my hand, softly. "Trust me." I took the bottle, opening the cap, dumping two of the vitamins out, putting them into my mouth, swallowing harshly. "Thank you." I said. Siddiq nodded, "Thank you, Tess. If you need anything, I'm here."

I nodded, "I'll leave these here for now." He nodded. I left the vitamins on the counter, walking out of the door.

I found myself outside of the walls, killing the walkers with Jerry and Daryl. "You shouldn't be out here." Daryl said. "I'm a big girl, I'll be fine."

I kicked the last walker on the back of its right knee, it fell, still trying to reach out for me, I gripped the hair on its head. My heart sank as I pulled it to look at me.

It looked like Carl, strangely. The walker struggled against my grip. "Cmon, kid. Stab it." I heard Daryl say. My hand shook as I brought the blade to its head, pushing it. The walker fell limp, I let it drop with a thud as I looked at what it was wearing, a flannel with a green shirt and a pair of jeans. I rubbed my forehead with my hand, wiping the beads of sweat. "What took you so long?" Daryl asked. I ignored him, letting out a shaky breath. He looked down at the walker. He tugged my shoulder, "Cmon kid, you shouldn't be out here." He repeated.

That night I found myself looking in the bag I was packing. Negan's letter, some food, water, the vitamins. I checked my pistol to see I had a full clip and two more in my bag. I dropped my knife in its holster. I clipped the necklace with the promise ring back onto my neck. I put the bag back underneath my bed and went downstairs to see everyone else sleeping. A man coughed. Maggie nodded at me and I nodded back at her. She crept up the stairs. I followed behind her, "I was looking for you." I whispered, hugging her, "I missed you." She hugged back. "You should be resting." "So should you." She chuckled. "I'll get right to it after I check up on everybody." I nodded. Letting go of the embrace, I watched her walk off.

I opened the door to the balcony, shutting it behind me. I against the wall. I listened to the crickets chirping, looking up at the moon. I breathed in deeply as a breeze swiftly hit against my face. I began to hear a baby cry. I picked myself up, walking back inside. I shut the door softly behind me. I also began to hear growling, I gripped my knife in my hand. I looked over the banister, not just one walker but three walkers, walking through the door. I went to go scream but a hand gripped my shoulder. A low growl escaping their lips. I grunted. The walker pushed me up against the banister it's teeth chomping as I pushed it away from me. I breathed heavily, my knife fell down the steps of the stairs. People began screaming.  I let out a yell as I pushed the walker away, it fell on the ground. I stomped on its head, over and over again until it's body fell limp. I retrieved my knife from the third step of the stairs. Quickly greeted by another growl. I looked at the walker, Toby. I sighed out, my blade plunging into the base of his skull, he fell limp. I pushed his body down, his body thudded harshly against the wooden floor. A walker was nearing towards a child. I quickly ran towards it, tackling it to the ground. The little girl cried out, her mother picking her up as she thanked me over and over again. I plunged my blade into the walkers skull, nodding my head at the woman, "Get out of the house." I said. She nodded, running with her child in her grip. I got off the dead walker. Everyone began evacuating the house. I quickly stabbed a walker who was just turning, in the head. Rick next to me doing the same.

"The hell happened?" Daryl asked, "I don't know. Maybe walkers got in." "Maybe during the fight." Morgan added. I shook my head, "No, Toby was in the infirmary." I pointed over to his lifeless body, "He wasn't bit but he turned." I added. "Negan's bat." Rick said, "When I was out there with him, it was covered in walker blood. I just thought he'd crossed some. But maybe." His voice faded.

"They have us working for them again." Maggie breathed out heavily, "Killing our own."

"The arrows and the bullets must've been contaminated." I whispered. "Son of a bitch." Daryl said.

I followed them up the stairs. "It good out there?" Rosita asked as we opened the door. "House is clear."

"How'd this happen?" Tara asked. I shut the door behind us. "Um, the Saviors did something to their weapons." I said.

"Everyone they cut up or uh, shot, they all got sick. Some of 'em turned." "What?" Enid whispered, "No." Tara nodded, looking down, "Okay." "When we were out there, you said you were done waiting, I coulda killed him. I shoulda." Daryl said.

"No. He wanted to be here with us and no matter what he did or how hard he tried, I wanted him dead. I just couldn't let it be anything else. Karma's a bitch, right?" Tara said, softly.