Chapter 9 (Edited)

I looked around silently as the students filed in for class time. I had to smirk a little because most of the students lifted their nose in the air to catch the scent of the brownies that I had made early that morning. There were a small amount of 'yums' as they smelt it.

To be honest, I was also salivating myself. I couldn't help but think about the rich taste of the brownie, and how the inside was soft and gooey while the outside was hard and firm. Each bite sent your taste buds into a frenzy of activity and you couldn't decide if you wanted to gobble it up or savor each bite until it was all gone. And the smell? Oh, it smelt like heaven wrapped into a tiny bit of... something I couldn't put my finger on it. Top it with a glass of cold milk, and you would be set for the day.

I should probably stop writing about the brownie, it's making me hungry for more of them.

"It smells good, Ms. Wallace," Daniel said stopping in front of me. "As always."

I smiled a little and nodded my head. "Thank you, Mr. Berkley. I'm glad that you think like that. Did you finish your paper?"

He nodded his head, enthusiastically. "Yes, Ma'am," he said a grin on his face. "If I didn't, then I wouldn't get a brownie."

"Uh," I said teasingly, opening my mouth wide. "I'm deeply appalled by that, Mr. Berkley. You would do anything for my brownies and wouldn't do it because I asked you to." I shook my head and folded my arms across my chest. "What would you do if I didn't make brownies or treat you? Fail my class?" I raised an eyebrow as I looked at him.

"N-no Ma'am," Daniel said a shock look appearing on his face. "You treat us like we're actually human beings and not some sort of day job." He held up his hand, not letting me have a word in. "Yes, this is your day job, but you actually care about the person and not just getting the work done. How many times have you skipped running to help a person that was in need?"

"With school work or not?" I asked raising an eyebrow. "I've lost count, but I'm glad that people trust me enough to come out with things that had been keeping them down." I shrugged my shoulder, indifferently. It's not that I don't care, I just wanted people to think that they could come to me and I wouldn't judge them.

Daniel's face turned upside down instantly, causing me to stiffen a little with worry. "I do have speak to you after class if you'll let me," he said. "Somethings have come up and..." His voice trailed off, before shrugging his shoulder. He glanced around feeling slightly nervous.

I nodded my head. "Just stay after class," I said as the bell finally rang, signalling the start of class. I stood up from where I leaned on my desk, watching as the students fall silent, glancing my way. "Please, take a seat and we'll begin the video shortly," I said as I walked over to the door so I could shut it. There were a few scrapings of the chairs, and I knew that they did what I asked.

I shut the door before I turned to look at the students, feeling grateful that I knew them. It was children that helped me become who I am today. I don't know what I would do if I hadn't became an English Teacher or start volunteering at the hospital.

It was this age, this grade, that shaped them for the rest of their lives. Some say that it might be when they're younger, but I don't believe that. After they leave these doors, they'll be on their own. No one can tell them what to do and that is one reason that I wanted to become a 12th grade teacher. I wanted them to see the good in life. That's why I take my job seriously.

"Before we start, I would like to say thank you all. You might not notice, but I'm going through some... personal things that I have trouble discussing." I shrugged my shoulder. "But caring for your well being helps... dull the pain." My face flushed a little. "If anyone tells what I said to others, I'll personally show how mean I can get." There were a few chuckles and a few glances, and I knew that they were going to talk amongst themselves after class. "But any who, please put your papers on your desk, and I'll collect them while I hand out the brownies."

The students scrambled in their desk and took out their papers. They looked at me intently after they got their papers and placed them on their desks. I shook my head and grabbed the basket that I had placed the brownies on and started to hand them out while picking up the papers.

Someone cleared their throat at the door and most of us turned to the door, including me. "Yes, Mr. Andrews?" I asked seeing him and then a new student besides him.

I studied her, and she studied me. Her brown eyes looked big for her face and gave her that look of innocence. Her brown hair fell straight before it turned into curls at the end. Her lips were a little pouty, and I could feel a twinge of jealousy because I wished I had looked like that when I was younger. Maybe then, I wouldn't feel pain. She stood as if she had some dominance in her posture, and I instantly knew that she was a Werewolf. The female wore everything black and it didn't take a genius to figure out that she would be a handful.

"This is Elizabeth Collins, and she is new to East Jackson High," he said, making me look at him. I nodded my head before again looking at Elizabeth.

"I'm Jessica Wallace, but I expect you to call me Ms. Wallace. I'll respect you, if you respect me. Please find an empty seat." I glanced at Trent. "Would you like a brownie? I've made a little more than planned." I shrugged my shoulder.

"Yes, thank-" Trent was interrupted by a loud crash as one of my students stood, breaking their desk.

I quickly looked towards the sound and saw Henry Baxley standing up and not looking at anyone except Elizabeth. "Mr. Bax-"

"Mine," he whispered as he looked at her, his brown eyes turning a little black.