Chapter 20 (Edited)

I took a deep breath, trying to calm my frayed nerves, before looking at him. "How are you doing?"

Joe shrugged a little. "Ok," he replied, softly.

"You don't sound like it," I replied, taking a seat.

Joe growled a little. "My mate died a month ago.  How will I be ok?"

"You will," I replied, softly. "You have a son and a pack that care about you."

Joe snorted and rolled his eyes. "I wish I never met her," he muttered. "Then she'd still be alive and well." He leaned back in his seat. "Or I should've rejected her, when I had the chance."

I winced a little, as he said that. Rejection hurts really bad, and I knew that he wouldn't do it. "I didn't save your life for you to reject your mate or get so depressed."

"THEN MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE SAVED ME," Joe roared, with a snarl.

I narrowed my eyes and bared my teeth. "There are reasons on why I have saved you. I also know what it feels like to be rejected. Trust me, you don't want to wish it on anyone."

Joe scoffed rolling his eyes. "You are just a human. You have no idea what it is like to be a Werewolf and everything like that."

My anger took over, making me jump up and going towards him. I slapped him across the face, letting my hurt and anger, fuel that hit. He had no right to say that. However, I knew that it was his pain and wolf talking like that.

"Don't you dare say that ever again," I snapped, glaring at him. "I don't have to be talking to you, but I am. I don't have to help you, but I'm doing that, also. Wanna know why? I have an idea about rejection and Werewolves. I know about Soul Mates and such. I'm also supposed to be the Luna of a pack, even though he rejected me. Now," I pulled the male from the wall and threw him towards the window, pushing his face against it. "Look outside. See those kids?"

Joe grunted a little, as he tried to move. "Yes, I see them," he muttered, giving up on trying to push me away. "What about them?"

"You see your son?"

Joe grunted a little. He didn't say anything, but I knew that he had narrowed his eyes.

"You say that you don't have anything to live for. However, you do. Your son needs you right now. He needs his father to tell him about his mother and help him through this. A part of you is missing, but you and her had made a beautiful thing. You two had made a heir, to keep all the moments and memories of her fresh. Your wolf has something to live for. He has someone to love and be loved by. It's not a connection as a mate would have with you. However, it is a connection that will help you keep going."

Joe was silently crying, as I said that. He didn't say anything or move from where he was pushed up against the window. I grabbed hold of him and pulled him into a hug.

Tears did threaten to fall out of my eyes, since I knew that I was jealous of him. He had something from his mate. He had a son, a child, someone that he can go to when the pain gets too bad. He was lucky, and I knew that he would be all right. We face many hard times, but it only makes us stronger.

***

After a few minutes, Joe stopped his hard crying and stayed in my arms. "I'm sorry that I got your shoulder wet," he muttered, getting out of the hug.

I smiled a little, taking his head into my hands. "It's all right," I said, wiping the tears off of his face. "I needed a shower, anyways." My stomach growled a little. "And food."

Joe smiled and nodded his head. "You should," he said. "And thanks."

"I'm glad to help," I said. A smirk came across my face, as I thought of a devious plan. "There is something you can do for me."

Joe raised an eyebrow. "Is it to help me, or is it to help you?"

"Both," I replied. "Now, I think you need a vacation from the pack. I need to get back at a certain Alpha..."

Joe raised an eyebrow. "But aren't you on his territory?"

I shook my head no. "Its neutral territory," I replied. "I've looked into it and keep checking to make sure. If Dean or someone wanted to visit..." I shrugged my shoulder.

"But don't you have a one room apartment?"

"With a comfy sofa bed. And I made sure about that."

Joe nodded his head and sighed. "Let's see what your brother says about the plan. If he likes it, then we'll do it."

I nodded my head and smiled, glad I can get back at David and help someone by doing it. "Well, let's see what he says."

And with that, Dean came walking in holding up a finger. "In one weeks time, he'll come over with his son," he said. He smiled at me innocently, when I glared playfully. "And yes, I was listening on your conversation with Joe."

I smiled a little at him. What can I say? I love my brother, with all my heart. Even though, my brother just had to tell the whole pack that he would've chosen me as his Luna, if he hadn't met Clarice.

"Well, I guess that's settled," I said. "Now, I'm ready for food."

***

Later that evening, I got back home and I was exhausted and excited. I would be getting back at David, having Joe and Luke at my apartment. We had agreed that we won't tell him David about Joe. When David did find out about Joe, we would just tell him that he was a "friend" from way back when.

I sighed and shook my head, getting out of my truck. I started to walk to my apartment, getting the feeling of danger. "I should've gotten a gun out of the truck," I muttered, softly. Silently, I walked to my door, taking my knife out of my pocket.

As silent as I could, I unlocked my apartment door. I was surprised that it was actually locked, because that feeling of danger had grown. I knew I locked it, I thought, as I closed the door and flicked open my knife.

My whole body was tense, not knowing if anything would try and jump out at me. Quickly, I made it to the small table, that had a drawer in the middle. In the drawer, I have a gun, and I switched my knife for it, feeling slightly better.

Yes, I already had bullets in the gun. However, they were silver bullets, used to kill Werewolves. My brother wanted me to be prepared, if I had any uninvited "guests", or rogues, coming over.

I took a deep breath when I saw that the kitchen and living room were clear. However, I knew that someone had been here, seeing that I could sense death and something forbidding. As I made my way to my bedroom, my heart started to pound a little in fear. I saw that the door was opened, slightly. I knew that whatever had happened would be in that room, because I knew I had closed that door.

As I walked into the room, I had to keep myself from gagging, because the stench of something rotting filled the whole room. I turned on the light, and I couldn't help but scream, as I saw a regular female wolf on my bed, And, on the wall behind it were the words, in the wolf's blood, 'YOU'RE NEXT.'