Chapter 12 (Edited)

Next morning I was sore as crap. My whole body ached, and I knew that I had a black eye. "Can't believe that Frank taunted me and hit me in the eye hard," I muttered to myself as I went to get a shower, gripping my ribs a little as I groaned. "Damn, I guess I was out of it. Stupid thinking about mate. Can't leave me alone for three minutes." I grunted and took a quick shower before stepping out.

"Cold!" I muttered as I grabbed a towel. I quickly dried myself, muttering curses every so often. "I'm kicking his butt on Monday," I said as I wrapped the towel around me before going to get dressed. I pulled on a pair of jeans, a plain purple shirt, and then my school's sweatshirt that I bought from one of my students. (Told ya that I was a sucker, didn't I?) And no, my jeans aren't skinny jeans. I can't be bothered with them. I'm guessing because I had been pronounced ugly during my teenage years, I couldn't bring myself to look like the people that had taunted me. Yes, I had low self-esteem and not many people would even guess it.

The phone rang, breaking me from my thoughts. I quickly went over to it, wincing slightly. "This is Aunt Jess," I said as I stuffed my phone to my ear as I grabbed my combat boots.

"Aunt Jess?" a childish voice asked making me high alert. I jerked a little and let out a small groan of pain as I clutched my ribs. "Aunt Jess? Are you all right?" the kid asked nervously.

I'm totally killing him Monday, I thought grimacing. "Yes, I'm fine, Sam," I said, lying through gritted teeth. "I got beaten by Frank. Must've been out of it."

"Maybe you should stay at home," Sam said, defeat filling in his voice. "You need to heal."

I snorted a little as I stood. "As if," I said, forgetting a moment that I wasn't a teenager and that he wasn't just a kid. "You are my bestie there at the hospital. 'Sides, it's been three.... four weeks since my last visit?"

"Four weeks," Sam said, hope filling his voice. Silence was on the other line and I knew that he was having a battle about me going to the hospital or healing. "I-"

"Samuel Michael Adams! Don't you dare make me change my mind, Boy. I got my rounds, and why did you call?" I said interrupting him, not raising my voice, even though he could hear the annoyance and amusement in it.

Sam chuckled a little. "Can I have food. I mean real greasy food? I am sick of eating this stuff." There was a small bit of complaining in his voice, and I couldn't blame him. I would be sick and tired of eating the same old thing every day with nothing new. However, we didn't know how much he could have on his stomach, so we try to limit everything that he eats.

I sighed a little. "Lemme talk to your mom. I'll see if I can't get you a Hash Brown or something. I think she might need some coffee, anyways." Tiredness was shown through my voice. I couldn't help but feeling the pain that this family had to go through. We knew that it was cancer, and we knew that it was in the brain. However, we had no idea what to do and how to defeat it.

Well, we thought we did defeat it last year, but after Sam had gotten sick again, and then I got a call from Ashley, Sam's mother, I knew that it was still there, hiding and manipulating. All we could do, was wait and hopefully make sure that he didn't die.

"Hello?" a female voice asked, and I could hear the tiredness in it. "You wanted to speak to me?"

"Hey, Ash. How are you doing?" I asked. There was a moments pause. "Don't lie to me," I warned. "I know when you do."

"Alright, I guess," she replied and I heard the 'we'll talk later' in her voice. "How 'bout you? Sam says that you sound in pain."

I grunted a little as I looked around for my stuff, so I could start out. I stuffed my wallet into my back pocket before grabbing my bag that held my clothes for the weekend. "Well, Frank beat me in fighting, so I got a nasty bruises there." I stopped in a mirror and looked at my tanned face with the black eye. I stuck my tongue out at my face before going to get something to cover it up. I usually don't wear makeup, but when I do have a bruise or something, then I did. I placed my phone down and placed it on speaker as I started to cover it.