Chapter 24: Serenity

Thanks for the wait!

Chris,

I leaned against the kitchen counter as my mom and aunt raided the fridge

I leaned against the kitchen counter as my mom and aunt raided the fridge. I pursed my lips since she was tryna portray as there was nothing in there to cook but I know damn well we got some groceries a week ago.

"She ain't tryna cook cause she think she on vacation," Rob smacked his lips.

"Right." I agreed while chuckling.

"No, it's not even that. What do y'all want? Somebody might gotta go..." My mom started but I toned her out noticing Genesis jogging down the stairs and went straight out the front door.

I knitted my eyebrows together and followed after her. When I got outside she stood in front of her trunk and pulled out her suitcase she typically use to bring more clothes, but it was empty.

"Whoa, wait, what'chu doing?" I stepped in front of her as she tried to go back inside. "What's wrong?"

"I gotta go home." She sighs.

"What w-why?" My stomach damn near sank down to my balls. "Listen, if the game is really an issue I can take the shit back—"

"What are you talking about?" She ask with her face scrunched up. "Chris I was just talking to Logan and she said some things about Serenity being sick and going to the hospital— I just need to go."

A wave of relief came over me but was quickly replaced with guilt. She just said her best friend is sick but I was all too happy she wasn't actually pissed at me. Genesis stepped around me and made her way back inside and in my bedroom with me shortly following.

I closed the door behind me as she started rapidly grabbing random clothes, throwing it in the suitcase.

"What happened? Is she okay?" I asks utterly confused by the whole situation. Instead of responding she kept pacing the room and tapping away on her phone. "Babe, talk to me."

"Chris I can't." She whined. "I can't believe my own best friend has been going through hell these past few weeks and I didn't know!"

She shook her head and picked up her phone once more to dial Serenity's number, yet she hasn't picked up the other two times either.

"Did she look different today?" I questioned.

Genesis frowned and flopped down on the bed next to me. "I honestly don't know what I was thinking but all the symptoms were there. Her moving out, the slow steps down the stairs then her nose bleeds."

She pouts and lays her head on my shoulder as I wrapped my arm around her. I didn't know the full story of it but I could tell Genesis was feeling at fault for all of this. Thinking that she's the reason for Serenity condition like she had that much control.

I didn't push that topic knowing Genesis was already feeling bad for being oblivious, which is understandable considering she had a busy day.

"I think you should sleep on this, no need in going back tonight. It's late."