THIRTY NINE

▪ ▪ ▪

A week passed by

The worst fucking week of Taehyung's life.

He stayed out of Jungkook's way since he didn't want Jungkook to be scared of him. He stayed out of everyone else's way too since all he seemed to do was to get everyone mad. He just stayed away and kept to himself.

Taehyung would occasionally get glimpses of Jungkook around the school but would hold himself back. They would make eye contact and then Taehyung would look down and Jungkook would rush away. And that was about it. Nothing else happened.

As much as Taehyung wanted to go and beg Jungkook to forgive him, he held himself back. As much as he wanted to go to him and tell him what happened that day, he held himself back.

And it was breaking his heart.

He could literally feel himself crumpling when he would see Jungkook walk away from him. When he would see Jungkook so distant. When he would realize how much exactly did he hurt the boy and how he ruined everything they had.

Taehyung sighed to himself and dragged his feet down the hallway to the cafeteria, head hung low, hair falling in his eyes. The sudden burst of chatter and liveliness from inside was overwhelming, refreshing kinda.

He looked up.

Everyone was talking and laughing loudly, their sandwiches and burgers and drinks clasped in their hands, mouths full and eyes excited to tell their stories to their friends.

Some people were running around, snatching food from others playfully, some were sharing their food. Others had carrot sticks shoved up their nostrils and were pretending to be a... walrus??? Myon, I mean. It was Myon.

Jungkook and Mika were wheezing, banging their fists on the table when Myon snorted and one of the carrot sticks fell into his lemonade, splashing on his face. Jimin and Jia were busy whispering and giggling amongst themselves.

The rest were having a conversation about how non living things reproduce- except Jackson and Yoongi. Jackson was trying to eat his wrist watch and Yoongi was cheering him on.

For a split second, a teeny weeny second, Taehyung thought about going to them and sitting down with them. He wanted to go and sit with his friends but then shook the thought away, remembering what happened the last time.

Taehyung walked into the cafeteria and nervously walked up to his seat, his phone clutched in his hand. Everyone was busy doing whatever they always do in recess (they were having a lemonade fight).

As soon as they saw Taehyung, they stopped, glancing at each other. Taehyung blinked at them feeling uncomfortable, thinking he should ask before sitting with them, "Can I- um- sit here?"

Jaebum, who was sitting closet to him, shrugged and moved three seats away. Taehyung sat down, looking down at the table, feeling the awkward silence burning him up.

Everyone was just silent, no one saying a thing. They were just looking amongst themselves, glancing at Taehyung and then looking at each other again.

Jungkook cleared his throat, "I'll just... sit somewhere else." He mumbled and then got up, going over to the table in the corner. Mika, Jia, Myon and Jimin also stood up and joined him.