Ch.26 ~ Why Now?

Kai's POV

Is he ok?

All Damon has been doing for the last 3 days is just sit on the couch and stare at the wall. I mean it's nice to not have him yelling and arguing with me 24/7 but it's strange. He looks so lost and I can't figure out why.

"Damon are you ok?" I ask for what feels like the billionth time.

He looks up for once and just stares into my eyes. He looks so empty, like his eyes have no color. He moves his legs apart slightly and pats his lap, inviting me to sit down. I do as he asks and sit sideways on one of his legs.

Damon wraps his arms around my body and nuzzles his face into the side of my neck. What has gotten into him?

"I was talking to mom the other day and he said that him and the old man are leaving town." Leaving town? Like on vacation?

"Where are they going?" I ask, genuinely curious.

"I don't know."

"What do you mean?"

He lets out a heavy sigh and moves so his head is no longer in my neck but resting on the head of the couch. He looks directly into my eyes and answers with a straight face.

"They said that they will be moving out of the pack house. They aren't leaving the pack permanently but simply moving. Dad said it's because I'm alpha now so he has nothing left to do and so they want to be able to live a life outside of work."

"Wait so they are just l-leaving?" Why would they leave now? Lucas said he wanted to be the one to plan the baby shower and be the first to see them. What's going on?

"Yeah, I guess. I mean it's not that I care but it was so sudden that I have a feeling something is going on and they just won't tell me." So he thinks this is strange too?

"Yeah, Lucas was so excited about the baby." Damon pauses for a moment and looks down at my stomach. He unravels his arms a little and rests his left hand over my stomach.

"I never thought this would happen so soon. I didn't expect you to get pregnant but I can't say I'm surprised." He keeps his eyes on my tummy and rubs small circles with his thumb over the slightly stretched skin.

"Yeah." Is all I say.

"I have a bad feeling about something. Why are my parents just up and leaving?" He didn't really ask me, he was more asking himself so I just stayed silent as he tried to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

After about 5 minutes in complete silence I finally decide to break the tension and get up to make dinner. The second I pulled away from him he stood up right behind me and grabbed my arm.

"Where are you going?" He asks really panicky. What's going on with him?

"Just to the kitchen to make some food. D-Do you not want me to?"

"Oh, never mind." He slowly lets go of my arm and lets his head drop. He looks like a sad puppy.

I turn fully around and grab his face, pulling him down and pecking his lips. I give him my best 'it's fine' look and walk to the kitchen to make us some dinner.

I hope everything is ok with his parents.

~The Next Day~

It's 9 in the morning and we are out of milk and eggs... I'll have to run to the store to get some.

I am a little over 5 weeks at this point and the bump is very much noticeable if I'm not wearing a hoodie or something. I only have a few more months to go and I'm both excited yet nervous. We don't even now the gender yet but I have a feeling he'll be a boy.

Damon has been keeping a close eye on me and won't let me do anything. I understand the concern but he won't even let me go outside without him following behind like some bodyguard. I think I can go to the store a few miles away and be fine.

"D-Damon, I'm going to the store so if you want anything, l-let me know." I start putting my shoes on when I hear Damon running down the stairs.

"What, no! I'm coming with you." He quickly tells me as he goes to put on his own shoes.

"In that?" He looks confused before looking down to notice he is only wearing his boxer briefs. I, myself, am wearing an oversized blue hoodie(Damon's), to hide my bump, and some stretchy black leggings for comfort.

"Give me 5 minutes." He runs back up the stairs and I can hear his quick movements and fumbling as he gets ready.

A few minutes later he comes back down, his black locks messy and finger combed back, a white fitted T-Shirt that shows off all the right muscles, dark grey joggers, and white sneakers. He looks... hot.

I feel my face heat up a bit and turn around to the door so he can't see. "O-Ok let's go then." I quickly say as I walk out the door with Damon right behind me.

He insisted that he drive and I complied since I am not much of a driver anyway. We reach the store in a few short minutes and it seems a little packed today. Well isn't that great, just what I needed.

I get out of the car with Damon in my tail and enter the store, going straight for the produce aisle. I look around and grab a few extra things that I know we are going to use. Damon just quietly walks next to me and observes my every movement.

I try to ignore his heated stare but it's hard when his smell is so strong being right next to me. We reach the dairy section and I start grabbing a gallon of milk and the eggs I needed when Damon says he is going to grab a cart since my hands have gotten quite full.

A few minutes pass and I feel a hand rest on my forearm. I feel a cold shiver run up my spine and I instantly know it's not Damon. I turn around slowly and am met with a familiar pair of grey eyes and dark hair.

"Jake?"