Ch.40 ~ Future

Damon's POV

I walk slowly with Kai in my arms curled against my chest. He had passed out from the exhaustion from crying and everything that had just happened. He explained how he didn't even realized what he was doing and moved on instinct in order to protect the baby.

My heart swelled at the thought of how protective and loving of a parent Kai will be.

By the time I reach the pack I notice that the remaining that stayed behind are all waiting for us. The warriors I had come with me all rush over to assist in helping the pack doctor with the weak and injured.

I also notice that there are quite a few wolves waiting for me, or Kai to be exact. They watch as I carry him inside and set him on the couch where he lets out a small whine from the loss of my touch. I couldn't hold it in me to walk away so I sit at the edge of the couch and run my hands through his messy white locks.

The pack doctor immediately finishes up on his last patient before he comes over to Kai as he starts cleaning him up. He only really had that small cut that had already healed and a few bruises that were slowly healing as well. He mainly just needed rest and a bath.

A small boy comes over to Kai as he just randomly climbs the couch and snuggles up against Kai. He curls into a ball facing his as I watch Kai instinctively swing his arm over the trembling boy in his sleep.

Now that everything is settled I need to start sorting everything out with the pack. I need to figure out how many we lost, how many are injured, procedures that need to be set in place to get the pack working again. And many funerals to plan. There is so much to do but I can't help but want to sit on the floor and watch my mate sleeping peacefully.

Kai's POV

When I came to I was laying down on the couch inside the pack house. I felt unexpectedly warm as i look down to find the small boy curled up against my chest. We were facing each other and I had my arm wrapped around him as a blanket while he snuggled as close as possible. I decide to turn my head to look around and I notice it looks to be some time in the night by how dark it is outside. 

I slowly move myself away from the sleeping boy as I stand up and stretch my achy muscles. I walk to the kitchen and pour myself a cup of water before I down it in one swing. I finally take the time to look around again and notice we were the only ones left in the living room to the pack house. No one else was here but I can smell them all upstairs in their rooms. 

I was about to go around and look for Damon before he suddenly appears our of no where himself. 

"Hey, how are you feeling?" His voice is soft as he glances at the sleeping boy before making full eye contact with me.

I lean back on the kitchen counter with my empty glass in hand as i look up at him. He had on some loose clothing and looked to be tired, he must have been up this whole time.

"I'm fine, thank you, How about you? You look tired." He shakes is head before he comes right in front of my slouched form and circles his arm around my waist. He pulls me away from the counter and into his chest as he wraps me in a warm embrace. Because of my stomach it was a little hard to be so close but he managed as he bent down so his head was resting on my shoulder. 

"I was terrified ya know? When I found out they took you I thought my world was going to crumble. I felt my heart physically stop and I didn't know if I would be able to have handled it if you were gone forever" I felt something wet his my shoulder and my whole body froze wen i heard the smallest whimper leave his lips. Never in my time with him have I ever heard him cry and I immediately knew I didn't want this to happen again.

I lean away from him just enough to see his tear stained face as I take it between my hands and pull him down to my level again I give him a quick yet loving kiss to his lips before I rest our foreheads together. He slowly closes his eyes as I scan his perfect face. 

"I'm right here Damon, I'm not going anywhere. I'm sorry I was being difficult but I just didn't want anything bad to happen to you or the pack because of me." I keep my voice soft as I rub my thumbs against his cheeks to soothe him. 

He opens his eyes and lifts himself to his full height. I go to remove my hands from his face but he quickly catches them and keeps them where they were before, holding them in place. 

"I know why you wanted to do what you wanted to do, but did you ever take into consideration that you're not the only one who has people they want to protect? I would have risked my life to keep you and the baby safe and just hearing you say you wanted to go out there and risk it was driving me insane. The whole pack was fighting with everything they had to keep you and everyone else out of harms way. You're not the only one .Even if you weren't pregnant things would have been the same and I would have protected you with everything I have, but now you are carrying our unborn child Kai,  no way was I going to let the both of you get hurt."he finishes of with a protective growl as I fell my eyes water slightly. 

"I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking at the time." I choke on my words as I feel everything settle in. Not only was I risking my life but even Damon's. He was probably so worried about me slipping out of his protection that he was not fighting with his full attention. If he wasn't as strong as he is he might have been killed because of me. Not only that but I have my unborn child inside of me that hasn't even seen the light of day yet and i was really planning on risking their life because of my stupidity and fear of my father. I truly am the worst.

It seems Damon can read my expression because he shakes his head before holding me in another warm and comforting hug. "I know what you're thinking and you need to stop. It's over now, you and the baby are safe and the majority of the pack is as well. We may have lost a few but they will never be forgotten for their bravery and loyalty. For now let's just think about the future."

I nod my head as I inhale his addicting scent before I feel myself lean against him heavily in exhaustion. Before I feel myself drifting off I am lifted up as I curl as best as I can into his chest. With his comforting scent and the warmth of his body, I instantly fall into a sleepless dream. 

~~~~~~~~

Holy cow did this take me a long time...

I'm sorry for the long wait, I would make the excuse that I am extremely busy, which technically isn't a lie because I really am, but the true TRUE answer is that I've been lazy ad procrastinating. 

If I'm being real honest I haven't really been in a writing mood for a while so siting down and whipping up this chapter was harder then I expected. But i got it done and that's what matters. It's also the fact that I'm currently on vacation and had a bit of extra time on my hands. 

Anyway, I still apologize for the long wait, and I'm sure that when I come out of whatever faze of 'not wanting to write' that I'm in is through, I will definitely upload more. 

p.s. I didn't go back and edit this chapter so there might be a few errors...

With that being said, see ya in the next chapter!