Chapter 6 : A friend and a brother

It was 4 in the evening. We heard the bells ringing which indicated that school hours were over. We packed our things and left the library. I was feeling sorry for Adam and Derin. They were willing to skip their classes because of me. Allahu. What've I done to deserve friends like them?

"Come on, I'll give you a ride home." Adam offered when we were walking out of the school building.

"Sure. Are you coming, Derin?" I asked her.

"No, my mother is on her way here." she smiled.

"Alright. Take care. Bye." I waved her goodbye and so did she.

Adam and I walked towards his black SUV in the parking lot. He unlocked his car and I climbed into the passenger's seat. I buckled up and he started driving afterwards.

"Camilla. Just tell me if he ever comes near you again, okay?" he glanced over at me.

"I'm afraid that if I did tell you then you might do something stupid. I know you're worried about me, Adam." I frowned.

"You're like my own sister. I cared about you, Camila. I don't want anything happen to you." he said but still focusing on the road.

"You're like a brother to me too. I know you cared and I'm grateful for that, Adam. I really am. I don't know what would I do without you by my side." I smiled at him.

"We've been friends for over 5 years now. Promise me that there'll be no secrets between us."

"I promise, okay?" I grinned.

"Okay. I'm gonna hold it."

A few minutes later, we arrived at my house. Adam pulled into my parents driveway and I got out of the car. I waved him goodbye until he was out of sight. I dug out my keys, unlocked the front door and went inside.

"Assalamualaikum. Mom?" I called but there was no answer.

There was no one at home. My mom was probably still at work and so was Mia. My dad, on the other hand, was out of town on a business trip. He was always on a tight schedule. So, I barely see him. I put my keys on the kitchen table and headed upstairs to my room.

I dropped my bag on the bed and took my hijab off. I grabbed a towel and went into the bathroom. I stood in front of the mirror and saw my eyes were still swollen after crying earlier today. I was just glad that he didn't do anything further than that. Anyway, I washed my face and jumped into the shower. I turned the shower on and the cold water cascaded down my body and relaxed me completely.

After I finished my shower, I slumped into bed, laid there and reliving the moment over and over again. Why would he do that? Why would he wanted to mess around with me? Was he trying to annoy me or something?

"Astaghfirullah. What was I thinking?" I whispered to myself while covering my face with my hands.

"Okay. Camila, you have to stop thinking about this. Stop messing your head with this shit. It doesn't matter. What matters is that you're okay. That's all." I tried to kick those thoughts out of my head.

I was tossing and turning in bed before I grabbed my phone to look at the time. It was already 5 and I hurriedly perform my Wudu and Asr prayer. After I finished my prayer, I went downstairs to make dinner before they got home.

I opened the fridge and took out the chicken. I decided to make Chicken Pasta. Luckily, I've already learned how to make chicken pasta from my mom. I gathered all the ingredients that I needed and started cooking right away.

"Something smells good in here." I heard my mom's voice coming from behind me.

"Mom. When did you get back? I didn't hear you coming in." I turned around to look at her.

"I just got back, honey. What're you making?"

"Chicken Pasta. You taught me how to make it, remember?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Of course I remember, honey."

"The pasta is ready, mom. I'm gonna go set the table. Why don't you go take a shower and we'll have dinner together?"

"Alright."

"Hey." Mia greeted us as she entered the kitchen.

"Perfect time." I smiled.