Chapter 41 : The lake

"Hey there." Mia smiled while entering my room when I was getting ready for today.

"Hey."

"Where are you going actually?" she asked.

I already told my mom and her about going out with my friends today during breakfast earlier this morning but I didn't practically mention where.

"I don't know. It was Justin's idea. He didn't mention where." I shrugged.

"Well, he does sound sweet." her lips pursed.

"Sweet? No! You've got the wrong idea. If you're friends with him, you'll know how annoying and arrogant he is." I bursted into laughter until my mouth began to hurt.

"If he is annoying and arrogant like you said, then why are you still friends with him?" she crossed her arms. Crap! Now what? She's good with things like this.

"Never mind." I tried to drop the subject and focused on wrapping a velvet hijab neatly around my head.

"That's what I thought." she said, tilting her head proudly and I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, look! There he is now." she looked out of the window, pointing towards Justin's BMW in the driveway.

"Well, I better get going." I pulled her into a hug.

"Take care of yourself." she rose an eyebrow at me.

"Bye." I said, making my way downstairs to the door.

I went outside and shut the door behind me. I noticed Justin was looking through his phone while waiting for me in the car. I tapped the glass which made him nearly jumped out of the seat.

"You nearly gave me a heart attack, babe!" he said when he rolled down the window.

"Sorry." I shrugged.

"Just get in the car." he demanded and I climbed into the passenger's seat.

After I got in the car, he immediately slipped the phone back in his pocket and started driving afterwards.

"Can you tell me exactly where we're going?" I asked.

"No. You'll know when we get there." he glanced over at me.

"Fine." I pouted, crossed my arms and leaned against the seat.

"Hey! Don't pout." he narrowed his eyes at me.

"Or what?" I challenged him.

"Or I'm gonna kiss you."

"You wouldn't!" my eyes widened.

"Try me." he smirked and tilted his head.

"Whatever." I looked the other way and I heard him grinning.

"Where's Adam and Derin?" I asked. I totally forgot about them. Silly me!

"They're waiting for us by the road right ahead." he said, pointing his index finger on the glass towards Adam's silver SUV which was parked by the road side.

Justin began to slow down his car, dug out the phone out of his pocket and started dialling someone's number who I assumed was Adam's.

"Hey, man! We're good to go." he said through his phone and ended the call. His dropped the phone on his lap and put his focus back on the road. Bingo! It was Adam.

"Was that Adam?" I asked for confirmation.

"Yea." he nodded. I turned my back around to find Adam's car was following us from behind and Derin was sitting in the passenger's seat.

"Everything's good." he gave me the reassuring look and I pressed my lips together.

About 15 minutes later, we arrived at a placid lake with a wide green meadow that was kind of hidden in the forest. Adam parked his car behind Justin's.

"We're here." Justin glanced over at me, turning off the engine and got out of the car.

"Why did you bring me here?" I asked while stepping out of the car.

"What?" he frowned.

"I mean what is this place? Have you ever been here before?" I asked and started following him towards the lake.

"Yea. I used to come here after school. Alone." he made the word 'Alone' clear enough for me to hear it.

"And how did you know about this place? You just moved here about a month ago. I didn't even know that this place existed." I twitched my bottom lip while rubbing the back of my head.

"Are you under house arrest or something?" he joked.

"Haaa. That's funny." I punched him on his upper arm and he groaned.

"Hey! That wasn't very nice." he rolled his eyes while rubbing the sore spot.

"Serve you right!" I giggled.

The lake was green with the reflection of the pine trees surrounding the edge of it. From the tall pines around the edge, came not a sound, no branches moving or birds calling. It was calmed and quite. There was a small wooden jetty in the centre of the lake with a few tables arranged under the shady trees.

"It's beautiful." I whispered quietly to myself and I felt my arm was being pulled by Derin.

"I like it here." she smiled widely.

"Me too." I winked at her.