Chapter 69 : Not our little secret anymore

"Mom?" I put my hand on hers and she turned to look at me, waiting impatiently for an answer.

"When I reached the city, I instantly caught up in the traffic. It was totally jammed and there was no room to move."

"After an hour later, I managed to get out the traffic and parked my car in the underground parking lot and went to the mall to do some shopping. I've almost 3 hours in the mall and before I knew it, it was already dark when I finished shopping."

"I wanted to call you to tell you that I'll be home a little bit late but my phone died. That's why I couldn't pick up anyone's call."

"I borrowed someone's phone and called Justin to come and pick me up as I was afraid of driving alone because it was already dark outside and left my car in the underground parking lot." I lied. All those lies slipped out, smooth and easy like melted butter running down toast.

"Oh, honey. You've made me so worried about you. All kind of negative thoughts came through my mind when you're gone. What if something bad happens to you? I was paranoid all the time." a sighed of relief escaped her lips then she grabbed both of my hands and stroke them.

"I'm sorry, mom." that was all that I could say to her.

"It's okay. You're home now. That's all that matters." she pulled her eyebrows together and smiled warmly at me.

"Did you tell dad about me gone missing?" I asked when the thought of my dad came across my mind.

"No. I don't want to tell him anything yet because I don't want him to panic. I figured that I'll tell him after you went missing for 24 hours." she explained and I nodded.

For a moment, I was wracked with guilt for lying to my mother. I've never actually lied to her. Not until I got into a turbulent relationship with Justin Walker. I didn't know that she would believe every word that came out of my mouth. But...

This was my decision. I begged Justin not to tell my mother and everyone else the truth. There is no going back. I have to tell her the truth sooner or later. Maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow. ONE DAY! I promised.

"Wait..." mom suddenly interrupted my train of thoughts. I got a bad feeling about this.

"Why did you call Justin to pick you up?" she asked, obviously confused by my action. Crap! My hands began to sweat and I looked down to my hands.

"Why didn't you call Mia instead?" she pointed towards Mia who was sitting next to her.

"Errr..."

"About that..." I trailed off, my voice was getting shaky and I was deadlocked. I didn't know what else to say about that.

"Mrs. Amina." Justin then interrupted after a few moments of silence and she turned her attention back to Justin.

"There's something you need to know." he said, keeping his voice low and steady.

"What is it?" she asked.

"Camila and I..."

"Urm, we're actually..." he rubbed the back of his neck.

"What?" Mia asked, encouraging Justin to spit it out.

He sighed before popping the unexpected truth, "We're actually together."

"What...What do you mean? Does that mean you're dating my daughter?" she frowned, her voice was filled with desperation. The eagerness to know the truth sprawled across her face.

"Yes, mom." I intervened and she was shocked. Her eyes became wider and she dropped her jaw. She turned to Justin and then back to me. Mia was also surprised, both of her eyebrows were raised and she didn't leave her eyes on me.

"Why didn't you tell me? When did it all start?" she technically questioned both of us. I couldn't actually read her expression. I didn't know whether she was surprised, mad or upset.

There was only one thing in my mind that I was hoping she wouldn't do which is kicking Justin out of the house. No! She wouldn't do that. That's just too extreme and she doesn't go well with extreme.

"I was afraid that you'll be upset with me." I gave her an empty stare and gazed down at my hands.

That was the time when I thought that she would stand up from the table and demands me to go upstairs to my room with a clear tone saying, "You're grounded for a week young lady!?"

But nothing happened...

I looked up at her and saw her smiling at me. My hands were still in hers and she stroked them gently while shaking her head at a slow pace.

"Why would I be mad at you, honey?" she asked. Okay! That was not what I had in mind.

"What? I thought..."

"You..." I frowned, feeling like a complete idiot and Mia on the other hand, chuckled at my lost of words. What's wrong with her?!

"You've turned 18, honey. That means you're old enough to make your own decisions. Not all of them but..."

"Most of them." she clarified.

"Does this means that you're not mad about us being together?" I gazed up at Justin and then back to my mom.

"Of course not, honey. BUT..." she lightened up her tone at the end and put one finger in the air.

"As long as you didn't do anything that's haram with him." she stared at Justin and a smile began playing on my lips.

I turned over to Mia and she nodded in encouragement.

"I won't, mom. TRUST ME." I exclaimed, my whole body was filled with excitement.

I can't believe that she actually gave her blessings for us to be together. I hope this isn't a dream. I don't want to end this blissful night. EVER!?

"I love Camila with all my heart, Mrs. Amina." Justin's magical words filled the empty spaces between us.

Those words bring me hope and made me feel so alive. We are born to love and with all necessary courage to walk the path to it, no matter the roughness, no matter the hardship. LOVE WILL ALWAYS SURVIVE!?

"You don't have to worry about any of that. I respect her." he gazed down at me with a sweet smile on his face before turning back to my mom.

"Your daughter will be safe with me. I gave you my word." he maintained eye contact and gave her a gentle smile. I can't believe that he actually promised my mom that he'll take good care of me. HE MEANS EVERYTHING TO ME.

"I'll hold on to that." she nodded, putting her trust in him.

"You won't regret it." Justin promised.

"Awww! I wish I had a boyfriend too!?" Mia joked, tilting her head playfully to the other side and we all bursted into laughter.

"Oh, shut up." my mom mocked her and she pouted.

"Are we interrupting something in here?" Adam suddenly intruded, coming into the room along with Derin.

"Nope." I said, popping the 'P'.

"I'll explain it to you guys later." I grinned playfully at them.

"You can tell us that later. I'm just glad that you're safe." Derin walked over to me and gave me a hug.

"Oh, me too." I patted on her shoulders.