Chapter 17: The Hospital

Derek, Stiles, And I drove to the hospital and parked out in the front. Stiles got a call from Scott and answered it.

"Did you get the picture?" Scott asked.

Scott had sent us pictures of Allison necklace right before we arrive at the hospital.

"Yeah, I did, and it looks just like the drawing," Stiles answered.

"Hey, is there something on the back of it?" Derek asked, grabbing Stiles arm holding the phone near him. "There's gotta be something. An inscription, an opening, something."

"No, no, the thing's flat. And, no, it doesn't open. There's nothing in it, on it, around it, nothing. And where are you? You're supposed to be here. You're first line. Man, you're not gonna play if you're not here to start."

"I know. Look, if you see my dad, can you tell him... Tell him I'll be there, I'll just be a little bit late, okay? All right, thanks."

Stiles hung up.

"You're not gonna make it," Derek said.

"I know."

"And you didn't tell him about his mom, either."

"Not till we find out the truth," Stiles sighed.

"By the way, one more thing," Derek said.

"Yeah."

Derek took Stiles by the head and banged him against his steering wheel.

"Oh! What was!-"

"You know what that was for. Go. Go!" Derek yelled, dragging out the o.

Stiles got out muttering the whole way.

I looked at Derek.

"What?" He asked, his voice wasn't as harsh as it was with Stiles but I still heard an edge.

"Nothing," I quickly said, looking out the window.

"Elizabeth?" He asked, his voice softer.

"It's nothing really."

"You flinched."

I studied on the tree outside, studying ever leaf, distracting me.

"Elizabeth, it's not nothing."

My eyebrows furrowed in thought. "It just brought back a memory..."

I dug my nails into my thighs.

"I didn't mean-"

"Please- it's nothing. I'm fine. I just need... a minute."

Derek turned to me, looking at me. "I would never hurt you."

I shook my head and scratched the back of my neck.

"That's what he used to say, I just.. I'm bugging you-" I bit my lip.

He gently covered my hand with his. I looked up at him before back at my hands.

"He had... his tie wasn't all the way tightened one day- he was leaving for work and he always cared about appearance. I went to fix it and... I was just trying to help- he grabbed my hand.. he broke my wrist that time...before I could pull away... I didn't mean- I just- I saw the lint and then it felt like I was in it all over again."

I finally looked up at him again and his eyes were soft. He gently rubbed my hand.

Derek looked like he was going to say something but his phone rang and he answered it.

"I can't find her," Stiles said.

"What?"

"Yeah, I said I can't find her."

"Look, ask for Jennifer. She's been looking after my uncle."

"Yeah, well, he's not here either."

"What?"

"He's not here. He's gone, Derek."

"Stiles, get out of there right now. It's him! He's the Alpha! Get out!"

Derek threw his phone and quickly got out and I followed.

Derek ran in and elbowed the nurse.

"That's not nice," Peter said. "She's my nurse."

"She's a psychotic witch helping you kill people. Get out of the way," Derek ordered Stiles, Who quickly slid down.

"You think I killed Laura on purpose? One of my own family?" Peter asked, Derek's fangs coming out and his eyes glowing blue. "My mind, my personality were literally burned out of me. I was being driven by pure instinct."

"You want forgiveness?" Derek asked, throwing a punch.

Peter blocked and shoved him off into the wall. "I want understanding."

I threw a kick and Peter caught it and twisted my knee bringing me down. Derek elbowed Peter, Who just kneed him in the gut and punched him.
Derek spit blood out of his mouth.

"Do you have any idea what it was like for me during those years? Slowly healing, cell by cell. Even more slowly coming back to consciousness. Yes, becoming an Alpha, taking that from Laura pushed me over a plateau in the healing process. I can't help that."

Derek punched him and he grabbed his arm and broke it. Derek yelled in pain and I came up, wrapping my arms around Peter's neck, trying to choke him.

He grabbed my arms and tossed me over his back. I coughed and he took me by the neck, lifting me up.

"Now this one... she's a catch. You know the alpha is in need of a mate..."

I tried kicking but I was being held too far away. He threw me and I hit the wall and I groaned.

Derek attacked only to be thrown through the glass of the counter.

"I tried to tell you what was happening," Peter said as Derek groaned, crawling his way into another room. "I tried to warn you. I was going to wait for dramatic flair, but-" Peter's face changes and was no longer burned. "When you Iook this good, why wait? Derek, you have to give me a chance to explain. After all, we're family."