Chapter 31: Packing

I was packing some boxes up in my apartment, the only distraction from the kenema that was leading us nowhere. It had been almost three months and nothing. Every close move seemed like they were two steps ahead.

I heard Derek as he walked in.

He shifted a few boxes and looked in them asking me about certain things.

He found my yearbooks and I quickly grabbed them.

"Trust me you do not want to see my picture in these," I said.

Honestly that wasn't the reason I didn't want him to see it.

We had been in the same school I just was a year younger.

"Oh really?" He asked.

I slowly nodded.

He shook his head and started grabbing other things.

"What about that room?" He asked.

I turned to the closed door and sighed. "It's just a hobby room.."

Derek walked in and I followed biting my lip.

"It's a little dumb I now," I said.

"Dumb?" He asked amazed.

I stepped in and he looked around.

I had pictures hanging some were photographed others were paintings. Then there was a piano against the wall with sheet music all around it.

I quickly started picking some up. "It's a mess and it's just not very good- just hobbies..."

Derek looked around his eyebrows raised and I grimaced in embarrassment.

He looked at a few Polaroids and then in a box that had some pictures taken.

"Those were taken in high school and are awful-"

"No there not," he said, flipping through them and then stopping and I knew which ones he landed on.
His eyebrows raised and I quickly took them and he looked at me and took the top one and looked at it again.

"Okay, so I know it looks stalkerish and maybe it was but it was a candid shot-" I said.

It was a picture of Derek in high school just working on homework on the lunch tables.

He slowly smiled. "You are my wife, finding a few pictures from high school isn't worst thing I could find," he said.

I blushed.

Derek and I were married now, something to still get used to and everyone else - who thought we rushed it.

Isaac was our witness and I managed to convince Jessie, who was completely and strongly trying to convince me to not go through with it. She thought it was because I was pregnant or some dire thing like that especially since it was just at the courthouse.

Derek and I though didn't want a wedding- we didn't have family and the people in our life weren't exactly the biggest supporters in this.

I was happy though and nothing could dim that.

"Will you play something?" Derek asked me.

I raised my eyebrows. "I don't know... I don't really play that well or in front of people..."

He slowly kissed me, cupping my face. "Please," he said, I internally groaned, I couldn't ever say no to him- especially his puppy eyes. He didn't know he did it but he did.

I took a deep breath, nauseated with nerves but I quickly sat down on the bench and took another deep breath. I picked a song and began playing.
I played the whole song, feeling the song and it's emotions and letting my fingers just naturally dance as I focused on each note.

Once I was done I turned and Derek was on one knee and held a ring.

"I didn't really get to do this the normal way but I wanted to do it now. Will you marry me Lizbeth?"

I smiled and held my left hand up, the single white gold band on my finger. "I don't think I can say no," I smiled.

He slipped the ring on my finger and I stared at its beauty. It matched my white gold and was simple but had three diamonds the middle one bigger and the band had little diamonds in it. I looked at him.

"It's beautiful..." I breathed.

He smiled. "I was hoping you'd like it."

"I love it."

He kissed my cheek and stood up.

"Is the piano yours?" He asked.

I shook my head. "No, it was here when I rented the place."

"Well I can get you one if you want."

"A piano?"

"Yes."

"But how?"

"You buy one."

I crossed my arms and he smiled. "Don't worry I have plenty of money," he said.

I squinted my eyes at him. "You just bought an apartment."

"The building actually."

I felt my mouth drop and I looked around. "Okay, wow... no one told me I was marrying a rich guy," I smiled.

He shrugged.

I shook my head and set a box down.

"So how do you take a candid photo?" He asked, holding the Polaroid up and taking a picture.

"No, not so obvious!" I laughed, holding my hand out to stop him taking a picture.

He took another photo and he looked at it and smiled.

It was of me laughing, eyes closed.

He slowly cupped my face and I rested my hands on his as he kissed me.

"You Okay?" He whispered, once he pulled away, studying my eyes.

"Yeah," I said. "Just tired."

"Are you sure?"

I smiled and nodded. "I'm exhausted actually. I think coffee is a requirement if we are going to finish this tonight because tomorrow is the full moon."

"Rest, I can do some and then you can come finish helping if you want," he said, brushing my hair behind my ears.

"You sure?"

"Yes."

I kissed him and went to the couch and quickly fell asleep.

I was slowly awoken by something and I mumbled.
I saw Derek over me.

"What time is it?" I mumbled.

"Late," he whispered.

He slowly picked me up and carried me to his car.
I slept until I woke up in bed. I yawned and looked around and rubbed my eyes, Derek was working out, doing pull ups with a exposed pipe.

I watched him until he stopped and turned.

"Why didn't you wake me?" I asked, we usually worked out together in the mornings before our usual day of trying to find the kenema.

"I wanted to let you sleep."

I got up and grabbed some yogurt out of the kitchen fridge.

"It's the full moon tonight," I said.

"Isaac, Boyd, and Erica will be meeting us at the subway."

I nodded and threw away the empty container and then kissed Derek, heading to shower.