Chapter 37: New Arrivals

I got Isaac set in a room upstairs.

"Thank you," he said.

"You're welcome," I said, handing him some food.

He took it and then looked around his room.

"It's a work in progress," I said. "We haven't really gotten to decorate or do anything with the apartment since we got it," I explained.

I think I still even had some boxes to unpack.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

I looked at him and smiled. "Of course," I said.

I didn't know if that was a lie or not. Part of me said I was fine, but another part of me felt like I was falling apart.

"Everything will work out," Isaac said gently.

I looked at him and my smile fell.

"I hope so."

He slowly hugged me and I wrapped my arms around him.

"Thank you again," he whispered. "Both of you."

I pulled away and smiled and gently rubbed his shoulder. "Get some sleep after you eat."

He nodded. "You're going to make a wonderful mother," he said as I was walking away.

"How can you be sure?"

"Because you're always taking care of people - even if they don't know it."

I looked at him and smiled. "Thank you."

He nodded and I left, closing the door behind me.

I slowly walked down the spiral staircase and saw Derek sitting on the couch, hands clasped together and elbows resting on his knees, waiting.

I slowly walked to him, so anxious I'm sure everyone and their mother could feel it.

I took a deep breath as I stopped in front of Derek.

He rubbed his hands together and looked up at me.

I had a whole speech prepared but now I couldn't even talk. I couldn't think of any of it. I didn't know what to say.

"Please say something," I whispered.

"When?" He finally asked.

"End of summer," I answered.

I stood there and Derek looked up at me again.

I braced myself for it. The "I can't do it" "I don't want it" anything along those lines.

Instead I felt his hand intertwining with mine as he stood up and wrapped his arms around me.

"Are you happy?" I asked.

He slowly pulled away a smile on his face. "Happy? Of course I am!"

I felt a weight fall of my shoulders and I sighed in relief as he quickly kissed me.

"How are we going to do it?" I asked.

"One step at a time, but I promise to take care of both of you," he said, gently brushing a strand of hair behind my ear.

I looked at him with question and he nodded with a smile.

I wrapped my arms around him and he hugged me, standing straight up, my feet no longer touching the floor.

He planted kisses all over me until I laughed and he set me down. "You should get some rest," he said.

I smiled and slowly started making my way to our bedroom, gently pulling Derek to come with me, my fingers dancing along his hand.
~
I stood in the kitchen make breakfast and Derek and  Isaac helped me.

Derek walked behind me, stealing an apple from the bowl in front of me, his hand resting on my lower back.

I smiled when the door opened and Derek looked over quickly shoving me behind him and Isaac stepped to the other side of me, their claws ready.

Peter walked in and rolled his eyes.

"Guys, she's pregnant, not a fragile china doll that's going to shatter."

"What do you want?" Derek asked.

"There's something you should see. All of you."

We quickly followed Peter who led us to the Hale house.

There was a new symbol painted on the door.

"What does it mean?" Isaac asked.

"You haven't told them everything yet, have you?" Peter said to Derek.

"What do you mean?"

"Why do you think Derek was in such a hurry to build his pack? So eager to strengthen his power and his number? When there's a new Alpha, people take notice."

"People like who? What is this? What does this mean?"

"It's their symbol," Derek answered and I looked at him. "And it means they're coming."

"Who?" I asked.

"Alphas."

"More than one?" Isaac asked.

"A pack of them," Derek answered.

"An Alpha pack," Peter stated. "And they're not coming. They're already here."