Chapter 74: Void

I woke up to the space next to me being empty.

I frowned and rubbed my eyes and looked around and sat up. I went and got ready for the day and then made my way to the kitchen.

Derek wasn't home and he left no note. That wasn't like him at all. He usually always told me when he was headed out.

I checked my phone and no text or voicemails. Now I was starting to worry. 

I quickly called him and it immediately went to voicemail. I tried thinking of anything last night that might make him just up and walk out without a word.

My phone rang and I quickly picked it up.

"Derek?"

"No it's Scott,"

"Sorry Scott. What is it?"

"Lydia found Stiles."

"What where?"

"At some parking lot. I don't know something to do her and being a banshee."

"Right, I forgot, she can hear voices."

"They're bringing Stiles to my place."

"Ok, well I'll get ahold of Derek and then head over. Hopefully."

"What's wrong?"

"I don't know Derek's gone AWOL and I can't get ahold of him and it's just unlike him. Maybe his phone died, he never charges it, but I'm just extra cautious right now."

"I'll keep you updated. You find Derek."

"Thanks, good luck Scott."

"You too."

I hung up and headed out following the faint scent of Derek.

It took me a bit before I was at an apartment complex.

Chris Argent's.

I felt a little relieved knowing he probably only went to Chris to talk about the notgistune.

I entered the building and used the elevator to get to Chris's floor. I was about to knock when I heard talking.

"Derek. Okay, listen Listen to me Whatever's gotten into your head, this isn't the way to deal with it." Chris was saying.

"You burn my family, I burn yours. In fact, I'll burn the whole building down around you," Derek said.

I stood there confused. What was Derek saying?

Why?

Why now?

"That was Kate. You know I had nothing to do with that. I'm not your enemy, Derek. Not anymore."

"Yeah, you are. You and Allison. Which is why, I'm not gonna light this yet. I'm not. We're going to wait until she gets home. And we're going to let her watch."

I heard Chris muffle a scream and I quickly walked in.

"Derek?" I asked, seeing Chris tied up and I could smell he was drenched in lighter fluid. "Derek what are you doing?"

"I'm going to kill them," Derek answered.

His skin was pale and sunken in. He looked ill and deranged.

"Derek?" I said, coming closer. "What's going on?"

Derek shook his head as a got closer and placed a hand on his cheek. He smacked my hand away.

"I'm going to kill them!"

"Derek you don't have to do this."

"You're siding with him?!"

"I won't let you kill-"

Derek charged me and grabbed me by my neck and slamming me into the wall, pinning me and choking me. My head throbbing from hitting the wall.

"Derek!" I gasped, trying to shift his weight but he was too strong. "You aren't I murderer!" I gasped.

"You don't know what I am!"

"Derek, let her go!" Chris yelled.

I felt pressure in my head and black dots start to speckle my vision. His claws digging into my skin causing blood to ooze down my neck.

"Why shouldn't I kill you? How many of us have you murdered? You're not my ally. You're not my ally. You're a hunter."

"You're right. I am a hunter. Trained before I could even speak, and trained others. Do you know what the first lesson we teach is?" Chris spoke. I could barely focus, feeling my legs going limp.

"We take our children, we bind them in a chair just like this. Then we wait for them to get out. Most of them, it takes hours. Others? Seconds."

Chris flung himself backwards, breaking the chair, freeing himself.

Derek flung me aside as he charge.

I collapsed on the ground and gasped in air. I felt sick.

I looked and saw Derek standing claws ready, and Chris with his gun drawn under Derek's chin.

"I don't want to kill you, Derek. Don't make me kill you. Please."

I felt light headed and still felt like I couldn't breathe. I troubled to say anything as the ringing in my ears got louder.

All I could see was my fathers face yelling at me.

Was I dying?

Was this the last thing I see before I died?

I tried to say something, anything to get Derek or Chris attention before I felt my head hit the ground.