Chapter 54: Flustering

Derek placed me on the bed and started to leave and I grabbed his arm.

"Do you dare leave!" I gasped.

"I need to get someone-"

"I don't think we have time!"

Derek looked panicked and tried calling a few people to no answer.

"What if it's like last time?" He asked. "I don't know what to do!"

"Me either! I just-" I stopped in pain and shook my head.

"Okay first thing is remaining calm," Derek said, surprisingly calm.

I nodded.

"Are you comfortable?" He asked and I looked at him with my eyebrows raised. "I mean as best you can be?"

I nodded.

"Okay, I'm going to grab stuff, I'll be right back," he said, leaving.

It felt like forever till he was back with everything.

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?" I asked.

He shrugged. "It can't be that difficult right?"

I lightly laughed. "How are you so calm?" I asked.

He looked at me, smiling and shrugging and I shook my head.

It all happened in a blur after that. I pushed and heard the baby cry and Derek lightly laugh before I laid down.

"I'm freezing," I mumbled and Derek quickly shifted and touched my cheek.

"Lizbeth?" He asked.

It faded and I saw Derek and bright lights.

"I need help!" Derek's voice rang. "Someone please-"

"Hemorrhaging."

"Heart rate-"

"Blood pressure-"

"Oxygen!"

"Blood-"

Bright lights clouded my vision as I heard shouting.

"Hemorrhagic shock-"

I tried lifting my head to see Derek but I couldn't see anything.

Everything was dark.
~
I heard beeping around me.

I felt like lead and jello all at the same time.

My eyelids opened, feeling like they had weights taped to them.

I then remembered everything that happened and I shot up, pulling something off my face.

"Hey, Hey," I heard Derek say soothingly.

I looked around and saw I was in a hospital bed, and Derek was beside me.

"What happened?" I asked as he gently placed the nasal cannula back in my nose. "Where's the baby? Is he okay?" I asked frantically and Derek gently took my hand and placed his other hand on my shoulder.

"The baby is fine, he's doing great," he smiled, caressing my cheek.

I slowly leaned brought the bed up in a sitting position and relaxed, burying the back of my head in the pillow.

Derek squeezed my hand and his thumb rubbed the back of it.

"Have you been here the whole time?" I asked, my voice hoarse and dry.

Derek just looked at me and didn't answer.

"Have you slept at all?"

"Don't worry about me, you're the one in the hospital."

I sighed. "You don't want to be next."

"I won't."

I squeezed his hand. "Never a dull moment for us," I whispered.

He softly looked at me and brushed my hair out of my face. "Don't scare me like that again," he whispered.

"No promises," I smiled.

He sat in the chair and sighed, running his hand over his face before looking at me unamused.

"I um, kept something for you," he said slowly.

I sat up a little straighter, already feeling almost back to normal.

He pulled something out of his pocket and I saw the gleam of it.

It was my ring. He's just been carrying that around?

"I um," he stuttered and rubbed his mouth. "Our divorce isn't final- I- and I- um..." he shrugged. "I don't know what to say. I've been a jerk since you've came back. You shouldn't have come back for me-"

"Derek," I said stopping him and he looked at me cautiously.

He was gorgeous, even sleep deprived,  just had a huge fight with monsters and delivered his child.

His eyes looked worried and sad, his eyes always gave his emotions away.

I stared at him, wanting to just get lost in his eyes.

He swallowed and raised his eyebrows and I realized I had interrupted him.

I slowly patted the spot next to me and he sat down, not breaking his gaze.

I leaned forward slowly and kissed him.

He cupped my cheek and felt him kiss back.

I grabbed his shirt and pulled him closer, till my back pressed against the bed.

I kissed him hungrily, it'd been forever since his hands had been on my skin or vice versa.

My hand found the trim of his shirt and I kissed again as my hand crept up his back as he slowly kissed my neck.

He slowly pulled away, leaving me breathless and desiring more of him.

"We probably shouldn't be doing this in the hospital," he whispered, his lips grazing my ear, his warm breath sending shivers down my spine.

I inhaled slowly and he pecked my cheek and smiled at me.

"You also just had a baby," he said.

"I heal fast," I protested.

He raised his eyebrows at me.

"What?"

"Just wait till we get home," he teased.

"I look forward to it Hale," I teased back.

I slowly slipped the ring back on my finger and I smiled.

The doctor then walked in with his clipboard.

"Mrs. Hale, how are you feeling? I see your color has returned."

I glanced at Derek, who was trying not to look proud.

I practically rolled my eyes.

"I'm feeling a lot better."

"That's good considering you lost quite the amount of blood. Hemorrhages are normal in pregnancy and you're luckily we caught it when we did. As far as healing you're doing immaculate!"

"Thanks," I mumbled. "Essential oils."

Derek raised his eyebrows at me and I looked away to keep from laughing.

"I'll have the nurse come in an hour and check you over and then you are free to leave this place," he smiled and left.

I slightly groaned. "An hour?!" I huffed.

"Don't worry, I'll be all yours in an hour," Derek teased. "Don't forget to bring your essential oils."